PDA

View Full Version : Ufa

Tasmania
27-04-2009, 21:17
ANyone got any info about living and working in UFA?

FatAndy
28-04-2009, 13:34
Don't worry, Irish people survive even on Chukotka! ;)

Larry Paradine
28-04-2009, 22:32
I lived and worked in Ufa for six months (autumn 2002, winter 2002-2003). To put things mildly, it wasn't the happiest experience of my life. However, arriving just in time for the wettest autumn for about thirty years and the coldest winter for more than twenty years (according to local statistics) may have jaundiced my view of it. Being brutally beaten up by two hooligans (not thieves: they didn't bother to search me although there was nobody else about) outside the bus station about 9pm one evening, did nothing to improve my opinion of the town, as did being ripped off by the charming lady who employed me as a teacher, apologised for not being able to pay me when I left but promised to send the money to my wife and subsequently reneged on her promise after I left the country. However, these are subjective opinions. Ufa itself is generally considered to be the "greenest" city of the Urals; I can only say that I'd hate to live in a less green city, because the level of pollution there is far higher than anything I've encountered on the Volga or even in Moscow, to say nothing of European cities.

There's a local paper called "Евразия" (Eurasia). Although Ufa is well inside European Russia. there's a distinctly Asian feeling to the city. It is, of course, the capital of Bashkortostan, an autonomous republic that recognises major Moslem festivals as public holidays and, since 1991, has been in the forefront of Russian moslem republics that have gone to great lengths to revitalise their moslem identities. The Bashkiri people, as even Russians admit, were shamelessly exploited and cheated out of their land by Russian settlers in the 18th and 19th centuries and, understandably, have an axe to grind. However, the few Bashkiris that I met socially during my half year's sojurn complained that, since the collapse of the "second Russian Empire" (the Soviet Union), they had been economically recolonised, this time by their linguistic and confessional relatives, the Tatars, who appear to have grabbed the lion's share of profitable enterprises relinquished by, or confiscated from, Russians. An American I met in Ufa (he was a missionary for some sort of Baptist group, which did not dispose me favourably towards him, but he did have a good understanding of the local situation ) compared the ethnic Bashkiris to "cigar store injuns" i.e. people so demoralised and deprived of initiative by over a century of a colonial system that deliberately wiped out their national identity that they lacked the drive to seize opportunities created by the relaxation of the colonial regime.

Well, I'm sure other expats have other opinions, I admit mine have been coloured by adverse experiences. Two plus points: Bashkiri honey is an aristocrat of honeys, and Кумыс (fermented, slightly alcoholic, mare's milk, is a gastronomic experience you shouldn't miss. Another plus point may be the Белая река (White River), I love rivers (especially our Volga), but I lived a long way from it, and with winter temperatures that were pushing minus 40, I had little enthusiasm for making the trip to it.

wolf24
10-05-2009, 05:05
how abt life style in UFA and wht abt transpotation system.... same like Msocow or ?????

grevg
27-01-2010, 08:15
Hi everyone! I am from Ufa and a professional English translator/interpreter. If anyone needs help or advice with Ufa you are very welcome!

Evgeniy.

grevg
27-01-2010, 08:21
how abt life style in UFA and wht abt transpotation system.... same like Msocow or ?????

Comparing to Moscow, Ufa is much slower pace city. But still a 1.5 million magapolis with highly developed education, financial system and industrial production. This region used to be a biggest oil producer. Now when mist of the reserves are pumped out the region is one of the leading refinery centers in Russia.

Transportation is not like in Moscow. First of all there is no metro/subway (In Soviet times there used to be a project on building one but it was set aside due to low feasibility). So busses/trolley/trams are the major means of transportation here.

Larry Paradine
29-01-2010, 21:15
When they work! Ufa is the only city I've been to in Russia where a blizzard (admittedly arriving unexpectedly and unforecast after nearly four weeks of unbroken calm frosty [-30s] weather) caused the sort of public transport paralysis that Brits like me associate with cities in the UK.

jwmprock
05-02-2010, 10:43
I have a friend (American) working for an oil service company in Ufa, he likes it there. It's not Moscow, the buses are "irregular" at best, it's a little rough around the edges but not bad. It's a lot like Perm, if you've ever been there. My home is in Solikamsk about 200 km above Perm.

Arthur
18-06-2010, 17:03
are u going in Ufa?
U can write me on ArthurMsk@gmail.com:7534: