PDA

View Full Version : Hangover Cures

Moscow Wolf
18-10-2004, 18:52
Mine is lots of bottled still water with freshly squeezed lemon juice (need a lot of Vitamin C input) and a couple of pain killers.

What's yours? Are you a hair of the dog type person or do you just not sober up! :p

What gives you the worst hangover, spirits, wine or beer or a mixture of them all? :eek:

85StonePolarBear
18-10-2004, 18:53
I have never gotten that drunk on anything other than spirits ;). Hangover cures - nothing - just time and rest.

DPG
18-10-2004, 19:03
Sleep, water, vitamin C, Paracetamol and feeling sorry for myself!!

Ned Kelly
18-10-2004, 19:07
water, vitamin b and neurofen + (or two depending on severity). the latter tends to blow your brains out so you can't feel the hangover as badly.

try to get some food in the early afternoon.

early evening a couple of very cold beers.

85StonePolarBear
18-10-2004, 19:11
Originally posted by DPG
Paracetamol

Careful, mate! Paracetamol and alcohol both damage the liver! Don't know what to suggest instead (our favourite UK pharmacist is offline) because the other OTC pain relievers and alcohol both damage the stomach!

DPG
18-10-2004, 19:20
Originally posted by 85StonePolarBear
Paracetamol and alcohol both damage the liver!

other OTC pain relievers and alcohol both damage the stomach!

The above is in the Oxford Dictionary as the definition of "lose-lose situation"!!

I reckon Paracetamol is OK the day after if youve had a decent sleep because most of the booze will have been metabolised out of your system (1 unit takes 1 hour with an average metabolism, and mine is slightly faster than the norm)...the hangover is just dehydration and resulting toxins and free-radicals in your body!

85StonePolarBear
18-10-2004, 19:25
Interesting - yes, I guess if the alcohol is already metabolised you are OK. I wonder if those supposed KGB developed hangover pills (anti-pokhmelin) work at all.

Moscow Wolf
18-10-2004, 19:28
Well my ex-wife who is a Doctor always gave me Baralgin M 500mg tablets as a pain killer, they're dead cheap and I know nothing that works faster. Well I do as Nothing works faster than Annadin (old UK TV Advert) so take nothing then! lol.

Ned, what's the significance of Vitamin B then, how do you take it or is that an Aussie thing?

Shatneresque
18-10-2004, 19:31
A large spoonful of honey before retiring (the sugars in the honey will help oxidize the alcohol in your bloodstream), to be followed by several pints of ice water, also before retiring (you're gonna have to get out of bed to pee during the night anyway) or first thing in the morning.

JTK

Moscow Wolf
18-10-2004, 19:33
Not all of us manage that bit Shatner!! Ask Ned. lol

Ned Kelly
18-10-2004, 19:34
wolf, i had it explained to me once. i was of course trashed at the time and can't remember exactly (i swear it's not just a nedism, there is a medical basis to it)...but when you drink and smoke you lose a lot of vitamin b (we actually have a beer here called vb).

i try to take a couple before crashing out at the end of a big night and a couple in the morning. seems to help

Ned Kelly
18-10-2004, 19:38
Originally posted by Moscow Wolf
Not all of us manage that bit Shatner!! Ask Ned. lol

i manage the death stagger, don't you worry about that mr wolf.

what i can't manage well is drinking 10 beers and then trying to drink a couple of glasses of water at the end of the night. often wind up pouring it over my head.

Moscow Wolf
18-10-2004, 19:42
It's useful to have a bucket by the bed, I always find. I hate running to the loo whilst 'barfing' (thanks Polly for the loan of that word). But really, I don't Barf from too mcuh booze, just food poisoning; I just wanted to say that lovely word 'Barfing'!!

Braders
18-10-2004, 19:55
90% of the battle is mind over matter and keeping very busy, otherwise if you've drank enough you're doomed!

It's a myth there is no hangover cure!

DPG
18-10-2004, 21:09
In the UK they sell a preparation called "Resolve" that is a mixture of antacids, painkillers, vitamins etc etc and is specifically for drinking before you go to bed when drunk.

My mate used to swear by it - personally when I tried one (it's a sachet of powder you mix with water and drink) I vomited within 5 minutes...did wake up feeling fine though, although I'm sure that vomiting is not really the way it aims to rid the system of toxins!!

85StonePolarBear
18-10-2004, 21:15
Originally posted by DPG
In the UK they sell a preparation called "Resolve" that is a mixture of antacids, painkillers, vitamins etc etc and is specifically for drinking before you go to bed when drunk.

Just do not try the US product Resolve for this purpose - it is a carpet cleaning liquid and is therefore highly disrecommended for internal use!

Smurfette
18-10-2004, 21:36
sleep. orange and grapefruit juice mixed. Lots of water - if I'm not too pissed I try to drink water before I go to bed. Soluble painkillers (more liquid) and black coffee. More sleep.

If sleep not an option more coffee and water.
On no account food of any degree of greasiness. That really does make me ill.

DPG
18-10-2004, 21:39
Oh yeah - you reminded me...Cranberry juice is apparently the only juice which is alkaline instead of acid and is therefore great for hangovers because it flushes the kidneys.

Also fructose e.g. jam and honey are supposed to be good.

Smurfette
18-10-2004, 21:40
marmite on toast

Idiot Amin
18-10-2004, 21:45
Also apropos to the detox thread - when I used to eat my government ministers I would wash them down with a bottle of whisky (before I claimed to become a Muslim). My (witch) doctors would then make me drink the better part of a bottle of bleach to get rid of the evil spirits contained in my meal.

trebor
18-10-2004, 21:59
A long spell in the banya, plenty of vhenik and medhavoka.

85StonePolarBear
18-10-2004, 22:08
IS there anything to the adage that the best cure for a hangover is more alcohol?

DPG
19-10-2004, 01:54
<<IS there anything to the adage that the best cure for a hangover is more alcohol?>>

Probably, but I think it simply delays it rather than curing it - also, I think that once one starts down that road, it's only a very short matter of time before you are standing up in front of a group of strangers saying "hello, my name's XXXXXX and I'm an alcoholic...".

Smurfette
19-10-2004, 02:08
speaks a man of experience ;) :p

Worst hangovers created by mixing the lot.

Feeling I hate most is waking up still slightly pissed, i'd rather sleep through until it was all gone, and all flashback memories had vanished.

Big Bugga
19-10-2004, 03:30
After many years of blood thristy war against my brain cells, I found drinking one full liter of water before you passout...er go to bed does the trick...if you can remember to do so.

Then the next day a big plate of biscuts and gravey to set you right.

Bugga'

Moscow Wolf
19-10-2004, 12:35
They also do that Resolve in an effervescent tablet form. An Australian Pharmacist working on the Island of Santorini gave it to me years ago as I went in there seeking a 'bender' relief.

I had always thought of it to be a Vitamin C drink as the instructions are written in one of my weaker languages, - Greek, cough cough.

He also gave me a great bottle of cough medicine which I managed to drink half a bottle of on top of 2/3 bottles of local Red Wine. It was the best night's sleep I have ever had, I felt like I was floating above my bed in perfect harmony with the world. I found out later that it contains something that they use to ease drug addicts off the hard stuff. lol.

Kshisya
19-10-2004, 13:38
:rolleyes: I assume that if you ppl drink not that much and not so often ....hangover wouldn't be an issue :p

Even Lermontov wrote that Brits are the worst alchies! :p :p:p

polly
19-10-2004, 13:45
judging by what i've seen around moscow, i might have to disagree with lermontov...

Kshisya
19-10-2004, 14:07
Originally posted by polly
judging by what i've seen around moscow, i might have to disagree with lermontov...

judging to what i've seen in Albion, HR, BH, Molly Gwins and other outlets I fully agree with him :p

85StonePolarBear
19-10-2004, 14:09
Originally posted by Kshisya
judging to what i've seen in Albion, HR, BH, Molly Gwins and other outlets I fully agree with him :p

What have you seen, given that any time I have seen you in the abovementioned establishments, you are in the same condition as said Englishmen? ;) ;) ;)

DPG
19-10-2004, 14:10
Drinking in pubs is fine, not that I ever partake in that activity of course...it's drinking on the streets that is dodgy!

Kshisya
19-10-2004, 14:15
Originally posted by DPG
Drinking in pubs is fine, not that I ever partake in that activity of course...it's drinking on the streets that is dodgy!

:rolleyes: well in all american movies they drink alcohol from bottles wrapped in paper bags right in the streets....:rolleyes:...i've heard in Ireland they prohibitted smoking in pubs so ppl moved out to the streets with beer....:rolleyes:

i wasn't talking bout what's dodgy what's not, and if it's drinking in bars or not :D i just stated the fact that you guys should drink less :p:p:p

85StonePolarBear
19-10-2004, 14:20
[Bi wasn't talking bout what's dodgy what's not, and if it's drinking in bars or not :D i just stated the fact that you guys should drink less :p:p:p [/B]

We'll drink less as soon as you quit smoking :p:p:p back at you!

Moscow Wolf
19-10-2004, 14:25
You're right of course we should drink less, now that the so called summer is over, I am making a concentrated effort to do so and have cut down considerably. I've also started eating solids as well! Now that is progress.

polly
19-10-2004, 14:27
:rolleyes: well in all american movies they drink alcohol from bottles wrapped in paper bags right in the streets....:rolleyes:...

that practice is not exactly as widespread as all american movies make it out to be

:rolleyes:

Smurfette
19-10-2004, 23:07
ok on the basis that I'm a little pissed and have to be at work for 8.30am tomorrow and the night is young - any recommendations?

Idiot Amin
19-10-2004, 23:20
Originally posted by Smurfette
ok on the basis that I'm a little pissed and have to be at work for 8.30am tomorrow and the night is young - any recommendations?

Dettol with lemon and honey.

HandsoMan
20-10-2004, 00:17
Hangover cure:

bong hit
:bong:

HandsoMan
20-10-2004, 00:18
Hangover cure:

a second bong hit

HandsoMan
20-10-2004, 00:19
one more

yep. It worked.

Cured!!!!

am4rw
20-10-2004, 00:33
Aspirin and vitamin b complex before going to bed. Next morning, lots of fluids, preferably water. If you smoke, lots of vitamin c. If you have a queasy stomach, the best cure is coca-cola syrup - teaspoon every 1/2 hour. Try to get re-hydrated.

You can probably get the cola syrup from your friendly local bartender. Only need about a couple ounces.

Sheesh. To hear you talk, you're all professionals, but don't know how to prevent/cure a hangover? Amateurs! :D

P.S. Ned, for Aussies, do everything in reverse. ;)

boscoe
20-10-2004, 03:10
death!

Smurfette
20-10-2004, 10:43
I'm with Boscoe.........my head hurts

Moscow Wolf
20-10-2004, 16:11
Must be something in that 'drugs' cabinet of yours, if you don't have a remedy, what chance for us then!!

Braders
20-10-2004, 18:19
In all seriousness i have found that 40 Lengths of a swimming pool works wonders!!

Smurfette
20-10-2004, 23:24
The drugs cabinet is missing at present, think it's in storage. Fortunately work has large supplies of pain killers and caffeine I was fine by 11.

Sheepy
21-10-2004, 16:36
Here are some of the world's weirder hangover cures.

How about a pickled sheep's eye in tomato juice (Mongolia), paste of ground swallow's beak and myrrh (South Africa) or a lemon rubbed under your drinking arm (Puerto Rico) but remember that success depends on which way you rub the lemon....clockwise in the northern hemisphere, anti-clockwise in the south.

Now would you care for a pickled sheep's eye in that Bloody Mary, Sir?

Moscow Wolf
21-10-2004, 21:36
Would that be a spring or mutton eye?

DPG
21-10-2004, 22:19
Originally posted by Sheepy
a lemon rubbed under your drinking arm

Whoever came up with that one must have been seriously plastered, because I (and everyone else I've met) drink with my mouth, not my arm!!;)

Moscow Wolf
21-10-2004, 22:24
That's why you get drunk so quickly.

Braders
21-10-2004, 22:39
there is no cure and i'm testament to that today, 10.40pm and i'm still suffering!

Sheepy
21-10-2004, 22:47
Originally posted by DPG
Whoever came up with that one must have been seriously plastered, because I (and everyone else I've met) drink with my mouth, not my arm!!;)

:D Now which part of Puerto Rico is Boscoe from again?

Smurfette
22-10-2004, 02:16
Originally posted by Braders
there is no cure and i'm testament to that today, 10.40pm and i'm still suffering!

That's just your age sweetie...... ;) ;) :p

Peasant
01-11-2004, 19:31
Before passing out take 4 multivitamins (preferably with a lot of B2) and about 400mg of Advil.

The next day drink about 4 beers in one sitting.

Moscow Wolf
06-11-2004, 04:01
Only four beers, thats breakfast, what comes next? I once swallowed an Anvil, took ages to digest it and the blacksmith was none too happy. What's Advil then? Oh and what's B2?

am4rw
08-11-2004, 20:21
Advil is a brand name for ibuprofen. Vitamin B2.

plastique
08-11-2004, 20:33
my cure back in the states was mcdonalds sausage biscut and oj...grease soaked up the tummy...

of for those of you familiar with pittsburgh, pramanti's at 2 am as soon as the bars in the strip closed...big ole fatty egg sammitch with the requisite cole slaw and fries between the bread....yinz wouldn't understand...its a 'burgh thang.

half crazed visigoth
09-11-2004, 12:03
isotonic sport drinks and a greasy fry up does the trick- kill or cure usually.

I did hear that in the US they are testing something that gets rid of the toxins a booze-up produces, therefore no hangover. more responsible pharmaceutical products then....