PDA

View Full Version : Any Latter Day Saint Here?

RUSSIANHEART
18-10-2004, 00:32
I WANNA MEET A MORMON PEOPLE
'CAUSE I M VERY MUCH INTERESTED IN RELIGION
AND MY EX WAS LDS ALSO....

WILL BE GLAD TO GET A SERIOUS REPLYES

THANKYA

lucytupper
18-10-2004, 00:43
<Deleted, if u wish to comment please keep it sensible>

Moscow Wolf
19-10-2004, 12:54
What does 'LDS' mean and RussianHeart, there is no need to SHOUT, we can read lower case!

kak
19-10-2004, 12:58
Wolf, i think the answer to your question is in the threat' subject , LDS = latter day saint. i have no idea about what is it, just google it for answer ;)

85StonePolarBear
19-10-2004, 13:20
LDS (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) are better known to many as Mormons.

polly
19-10-2004, 13:35
oh, so many things i shouldn't say. so, so many things.

Surok
19-10-2004, 13:49
I'll join you in not saying them, Polly - can two not say louder than one?

polly
19-10-2004, 13:55
;)

DPG
19-10-2004, 14:01
These Mormans, are they the ones which marry their daughters and have 15 wives and stuff then?!

And the ones who travel the world trying to convert people to it?
I met some on the metro once, they didn't convert me because they all stood and grinned at my "of that's sooo British and cool" accent rather than actually speaking themselves!

Was I in the wrong to have suggested they try the Boarhouse or Nightflight for a bit of a lark?!

allice
19-10-2004, 14:01
three.

85StonePolarBear
19-10-2004, 14:03
Originally posted by DPG
These Mormans, are they the ones which marry their daughters and have 15 wives and stuff then?!

And the ones who travel the world trying to convert people to it?

A bit of an exaggerated picture, but yes - you have the right people. Boarhouse or Nightflight - LOL - their religion prohibits caffeine, let alone alcohol and hoeing!

sparky
19-10-2004, 14:05
DPG: for 'convert people' substitute 'raise funds'

DPG
19-10-2004, 14:06
Right, now that I'm in the know, I'm going to have some real fun the next time I bump into a few of them!! hehe!!

Surok
19-10-2004, 14:10
Misdirecting mormons in the metro can be a fun game : )

sfjohns67
19-10-2004, 14:56
I have as much fun as the rest of you gigging them, but I must also say 3 of the only 4 people I consider truly unhypocritical believers in a faith (notice I didn't say "god") have been Mormons.

Halyavshik
19-10-2004, 15:53
I don't think it's for any of us to criticize anyone's faith. To the best of my knowledge, The Church of Latter Day Saints no longer condones polygamy, just as Christianity no longer condones slavery.

I trust that those of you holding your tongues (yet still posting to let us know your're not saying anything) would not take kindly to someone posting similar sentiments in regards to your faith (or absence thereof).

If the purpose of this folder is to express your opinions on others' religious ideas through passive-agressive posts, then we might as well just shut it down since there's not a single one of us that can prove the other is wrong.

The thread starter asked a legitimate question. Maybe someone can answer it instead of nudging elbows and giggling.

Flame away, kids.

AH

85StonePolarBear
19-10-2004, 15:57
I should have been a little more explicit when I called the description an exaggeration. Official LDS, which sends out the missionaries, certainly does not condone polygamy - and the business about marrying daughters is new to me.

In terms of what will become of this folder - nothing much - it will get some traffic for another couple of weeks and then become dormant. Look at the Recipe folder now :(.

polly
19-10-2004, 16:00
my opinons about the mormon faith have nothing to do with polygamy or funny underwear or whatever else the "rules" are. more to do with how it was established. a discussion for another forum probably.

sparky
19-10-2004, 16:13
I eagerly await the posts from AH to be told my opinion, bring on the thought police

Halyavshik
19-10-2004, 16:22
"Electric" Dave,

I don't think I purported to determine anyone's opinion. Perhaps you can show me where, exactly, I attemped to state your opinion.

I expressed MY opinion that I think some of the posts in this thread were rude and derogatory towards a religious faith. Last I checked, that's a form of bigotry.

But, sorry to rock your boat and interrupt your sarcastic comments.

Regards,
The former AH

sparky
19-10-2004, 16:28
Not just this post, but everybody who has a different opinion to you is treated in the same condescending, arrogant or aggressive way.

My comments are based on the actual experiences of the LDS, and I don’t slam the door in their faces but give them time to express their point of view, because, as it happens, I am interested in others opinions and broadening my knowledge.

Fa-Q!
19-10-2004, 16:36
ED, seems to me that $ was only warning that it's some what of a tabboo to disrespect other's religions. A notion with which I would tend to agree.

Fa-Q!
19-10-2004, 16:37
aggressive way
==================================
If he's agressive, you must be a real pussy.

Halyavshik
19-10-2004, 16:37
Originally posted by ElectricDave
Not just this post, but everybody who has a different opinion to you is treated in the same condescending, arrogant or aggressive way.

So your first sarcastic comment was just a random response to all of my posts in general and not provoked by this specifically. Perhaps you have something to add about the appropriateness of other posts in this thread rather than randomly attacking my other posts ?

In any case, I'm sorry you think so. I call 'em as I see 'em. Some posts might make me angry and I'll say so if I feel it's justified (as I did above), but I fail to see where you find anything arrogant or condescending.

As this isn't the place for it, I'd be glad to PM you to discuss any incidents that gave you this impression.

sparky
19-10-2004, 16:44
Just one for the public forum, and feel free to PM me.

I agree you should not attempt to trash another religion as its a no win argument.

However, you can have an opinion about another religion, country, voting habits and should be free to express it to encourage a sensible debate.

That was my point

Fa-Q!
19-10-2004, 16:46
However, you can have an opinion about another religion, country, voting habits and should be free to express it to encourage a sensible debate.

:agree:

allice
19-10-2004, 16:46
Originally posted by Halyavshik
I trust that those of you holding your tongues (yet still posting to let us know your're not saying anything) would not take kindly to someone posting similar sentiments in regards to your faith (or absence thereof).
AH

There's a saying in Russian which in this situation applies to both you and I. Не суди и не судим будешь.

Fa-Q!
19-10-2004, 16:50
There's a book written by Doctor Dennis Leary called "Shut the **** Up!: By Dr. Dennis Leary".

Halyavshik
19-10-2004, 16:51
Originally posted by ElectricDave

There's a difference between expressing your opinion on religon and making snide remarks about it. I decried derogatory remarks. If the thread had contained objective discourse on the merits of Mormonism, then it would have been a different case. As it is, I fail to see exactly what it was in my remarks encouraged you to respond or claim that I was guessing your opinion.

PM on its way.

allice
19-10-2004, 16:52
No comment. Re FAQ's post.

polly
19-10-2004, 16:56
um ok.
i just went out to the smoking stairwell, whenceupon i was momentarily taken into the heavens by Archangel Pasha, who told me to spread his word. Later this evening i will channel Pasha's friend Euphemius, who will read God's word through me. Il'l haev my husband write it down while I speak in tongues, but I'll make him sit in the other room so he can't see what I'm actually doing during the channeling session.
Then I'll go out into the dvor at night, find some stones and carve some mysterious symbols into them and show them to everyone tomorrow, but I'll be the only one who can read it.
Then I'll have this new religion, of which I am the leader because God touched me there, and you had all best to respect it and never say anything taboo about my hoax. i mean faith.

flame away. i've done a lot of studying when it comes to the history of religions and religious systems. i suppose you'll also uphold all of Noyes' beliefs because it would be taboo not to. faith is always respectable when it leads to people living in the best way they can and aspiring to be good people. i don't know what to call something that is rooted in someone's narcissistic desire to control others. the examples are countless.
but i guess now i'm a bigot.

sfjohns67
19-10-2004, 16:59
I am free to believe what I believe, and I do, which means there are a lot of things I disagree with; religion is very high up on that list. Not that I'm necessarily inclined to do so, but I will criticize religion (or anything/anybody else for that matter) in any fashion I so desire, be it vulgarly, rudely, snidely, derogatory, aggressive, whatever; you are free to lash right back at me in the very same spirit or however you wish.

You are not my moral police; your only choice is to ignore me or fight back.

Fa-Q!
19-10-2004, 17:01
uphold all of Noyes' beliefs
====================================
Where's that from?

All I can say is if you got an ugly, buck-toothed mama, it aint nice for me to say "you got an ugly, buck-toothed mama". I played football in the Western Athletic Conference (obsolete) in the same conference with BYU-huge rivals, so I know about mormon bashing. I've been to Salt Lake several times and to Provo. believe me, I have my take on the religion itself, but it's neither here nor there. Ya know, Donnie and Marie, Dale Murphy, Steve Young, Ty Detmer, who else?

polly
19-10-2004, 17:06
Noyes, the founder of the Oneida Community, a commune based on his own blend of "christianity" which involved lots of sex but no ejaculation, a ban on developing romantic relationships and "mass confessions" amongst other things. He also professed that Eve was cursed with the ability to procreate for eating the apple. Children are a curse, hence no ejaculation, yadda yadda. could go on and on, but i doubt anyone wants to hear it.

Fa-Q!
19-10-2004, 17:07
Yeah. That's just plain ****** up. That's not a religion.

polly
19-10-2004, 17:08
Originally posted by Fa-Q!
uphold all of Noyes' beliefs
====================================
Where's that from?

believe me, I have my take on the religion itself, but it's neither here nor there.

which i guess means that there is no purpose to this folder, except that everyone should pat everyone else on the back for believing in Jesus or Allah or magic frog-dieties.

allice
19-10-2004, 17:09
After reading polly's post I realized I should have made my point more clear maybe just in order to get more undeserved verbal assault. The reason I have not liked the three people I have met in life who belonged to the religion in question, is that I found that them judgemental know-it-alls. To be fair, I have to say that recently I encountered the same from the person who is catholic. I really do not give a damn as to what confession a person belongs to as long as that person does not use his or her confession's theses to justify something that cannot be justified by any other means common sense included. I might be able to understand why one can do the unspeakable for love but no for religion one belongs to. So my point (finally) is. Your comment, AH, was judgemental and quite rude, because the people you addressed you have met and you could at least address them properly. And this is just an opinion.

polly
19-10-2004, 17:10
Yeah. That's just plain ****** up. That's not a religion.

but it was, and you just disrespected it!
how about Russia's Skoptsy, a sort of secret-society religion, the members of which performed self-castration. they were all highly respected in the community.

Fa-Q!
19-10-2004, 17:12
no purpose to this folder
------------------------------------
skoree vsevo net dorogaya

DJ Biscuit
19-10-2004, 17:12
Interesting. I like the children are a curse bit, not a big fan myself but, and this is a big but, how does this religion/sect or whatever expect to get other members if children are not desired? I mean if they got their way then there would be no one here!:D

Regarding not criticising other peoples beliefs I think that's pretty fascist myself. Religion, politics, love and sport are subjects every one has an opinion on, in fact anything that can be argued, that is not plain fact is open to debate. That's what this folder is here for. If we are not allowed to criticise then that's when blind faith takes over, and that's dangerous.

Fa-Q!
19-10-2004, 17:16
how about Russia's Skoptsy, a sort of secret-society religion, the members of which performed self-castration. they were all highly respected in the community.
===========================
ok. ****it. you win. Rag on religion all you want. I was just raised to not disrepect other peoples homes, their families, their religions or their livelihoods. I understand that not everyone is required to honor the above but I'll continue too, just as I'll say Sir and Ma'am to my elders.

polly
19-10-2004, 17:18
Originally posted by DJ Biscuit
Interesting. I like the children are a curse bit, not a big fan myself but, and this is a big but, how does this religion/sect or whatever expect to get other members if children are not desired? I mean if they got their way then there would be no one here!:D

Well, like the Shakers (who practised celibacy and currently have all but 4 remaining members in the US), Noyes sect and other sects that did their best to circumvent the reproductive process were forced to rely heavily on converting new members.
While the Shakers never gave up, they have essentially died out.
Noyes, on the other hand, got slightly disenchanted with his group, which naturally evolved into something that he had not originally envisioned, and after 33 years (note the Christ coincidence) he called it quits and announced to his commune that his "experiment" was a failure. Some of them went on to recreate their own blend of Noyes' "Bible Communism."

sfjohns67
19-10-2004, 17:19
Politics and religion...

polly
19-10-2004, 17:20
===========================
ok. **** it. you win. Rag on religion all you want. I was just raised to not disrepect other peoples homes, their families, their religions or their livelihoods. I understand that not everyone is required to honor the above but I'll continue too, just as I'll say Sir and Ma'am to my elders.

yes but how are we to speak about an apple if we are not allowed to discuss its appearance, taste and texture?

I'll buy you a beer, how's that? Then Il'l hypnotize your ass! muahaha

Fa-Q!
19-10-2004, 17:21
Yeah, baby! I wanna know how much ****** I got in past lives. I bet I was a *******stud!

polly
19-10-2004, 17:22
Originally posted by sfjohns67
Politics and religion...

Yes, a combination that worked evil wonders in films like Triump of the Will, which is heavily based on myths and manipulation.

polly
19-10-2004, 17:23
Yeah, baby! I wanna know how much *******I got in past lives. I bet I was a*******stud!

are you aware that you could have been a woman?
it happens, man. brace yourself.

sfjohns67
19-10-2004, 17:23
Yeah, baby! I wanna know how much ******* I got in past lives. I bet I was a*******stud! Yeah, on a friggin snow tire in Montana! Bwah hah hah hah.....!!!

Fa-Q!
19-10-2004, 17:26
**** ya'll! I was ******* Calligula! Wait... he was a fag. I was ******* Caesar! Wait...he was a fag, too. Nevermind. I ain't had no past lives.:rolleyes:

Halyavshik
19-10-2004, 17:59
First, there's a difference between criticism and ridicule. If you want this folder to have *constructive* criticism and rational discourse on the merits or drawbacks between religon, fine. That differs from ridicule and sniggering. Making fun of other religons is insulting and classless, if you ask me. There's a lot of room between being disrespectful and everyone patting each other on the back.

And let's not exagerrate the situation by comparing it to obscure cults. Mormons are five million members strong and an accepted branch of Christianity. What if the original poster had asked to meet members of Jewish faith ? Do you think the tone of this thread would have been appropriate then ? What if I said I was mormon ?

SFJ, I'm not sure I follow your comments. Do you want to criticize religon as a concept anyway you want, or specific religous groups ?

Halyavshik
19-10-2004, 18:13
Originally posted by allice
Your comment, AH, was judgemental and quite rude, because the people you addressed you have met and you could at least address them properly. And this is just an opinion.

I'll grant you that I may have been a bit harsh and rash. My comments were directed at no one in particular and don't in the least bit change my opinion of any of the posters here. My apologies if they came off as rude.

That having been said, as I feel strongly about an individual's personal beliefs being sacred above all else, I would let even the closest of friends and immediate family know my opinion if I felt or heard the same sentiments from them.

RUSSIANHEART
19-10-2004, 20:36
I just don't understand what all this is
about.
I don't care what you all think,
I was looking for LDS people and you started to post all this
like crazy.

lucytupper
19-10-2004, 22:26
As I said in my first post which was deleted for some idiotic reason again by a power - crazed maniac, Mormons are commomly known around the world for not being allowed to drink tea or coffee, having to tithe 10% to the church, believing that Joseph Smith found some new revelation on golden plates, travel around the world in two's spreading the word and the menfolk having several wives.

Didn't say I agree or disagree just stating what majority of people think they know about LDS.

To the Moderator : How can you delete such a post!??

85StonePolarBear
19-10-2004, 22:34
Clarification number three regarding Mormons and polygamy:

The official Mormon church does not practice polygamy. There are a few cells of "old believers" left who do practice polygamy in flagrant violation of present LDS practices as well as US laws and statutes, but they are not the mainstream. Much as I dislike the idea of LDS missionaries in Russia, which has a vibrant traditional religion of its own (as well as respect for indigenous religious minorities), these missionaries do not come from homes in which polygamy is practiced, nor do they preach polygamy.

Now, as a polar bear, why in the world am I against polygamy, given that my kind fathers cubs with quite a few mates every season ;) ;) ;)?

jheisel
19-10-2004, 23:11
Originally posted by polly
my opinons about the mormon faith have nothing to do with polygamy or funny underwear or whatever else the "rules" are. more to do with how it was established. a discussion for another forum probably.

...or an episode of South Park

sfjohns67
20-10-2004, 09:34
SFJ, I'm not sure I follow your comments. Do you want to criticize religon as a concept anyway you want, or specific religous groups ? Your original post came across just a bit too "father knows best" for the bad mood I was in at the time I wrote what I wrote.

Just to clarify, though, I always criticize religion as a concept; you know I do because you've heard it from me yourself. As for criticizing specific groups, while I don't have any immediate need/desire to do so, I can easily find something to pick apart in just about any of them. That I choose not to do so is based on the same kind of good upbringing and manners that taught you it's not a nice thing to do. Conversely, if I should decide to go postal on a particular religion, no amount of finger-waggling will stop me, and I am prepared to bear the consequences of my actions. I would only add that any criticism on my part does nothing to diminish the respect I have for those individuals who actually practice what they preach.

BTW, how can you look at a Hare Krishna without wanting to laugh your ass off?

Halyavshik
20-10-2004, 09:47
Well, f*ck me with a spatula. Maybe I got to change my tone or sumfing.

I don't get how my comments, which were made as a slightly perturbed observer, are taken as 'father knows best' and 'condescending'. Honestly. If I had threatened to spank all of you, then maybe. Otherwise, I thought it was pretty clear from my first post that I thought the tone of the posts was uncalled for. And honestly, will any of you come forward and say that had it been your faith, you wouldn't have been either angry, embarrassed or offended ?

I know I certainly wouldn't have enjoyed it if I were Mormon (as the original thread started has clearly expressed above) or if it had been about Episcopalians. Actually, if it were about Episcopalian protestants, I'd be waging bloody war in here.

As the bible appropriately says, do unto others....hence my post.

Anyway, thanks for the discussion. Sorry for any offense inferred. Love, hugs, kisses, etc, etc, etc.

sfjohns67
20-10-2004, 09:59

Well, f*ck me with a spatula. Maybe I got to change my tone or sumfing.
I said I was in a bad mood when I read it and wrote my response!

And honestly, will any of you come forward and say that had it been your faith, you wouldn't have been either angry, embarrassed or offended ?
I am in no position to answer this objectively, since I have no faith. I have, however, been criticized quite soundly and no short number of times for not believing in somebody's god of choice, and while I wouldn't call the experience pleasant, I can't say it was offensive. Perhaps it's because as a bald, white guy, I'm the last remaining butt of humor that hasn't been usurped by the politically correct thought police, so I've had plenty enough opportunity to develop a thick skin. Besides, I can and do laugh at myself quite easily for any number of reasons, thus find it amusing when other people get their panties in such a twist because somebody took a few pokes at them.

Fa-Q!
20-10-2004, 10:01
I say we take it to a showdown of wits on the T Pursuit board, fellas.

sfjohns67
20-10-2004, 10:06
I'm out this week, but next week y'all gonna' feel the mighty brow of sfj screamin outta the trailer park!

So say your prayers, heh heh.

Halyavshik
20-10-2004, 10:13
I said I was in a bad mood when I read it and wrote my response!

Noted. That remark wasn't just directed at you, though. Others called it condescending and rude. I don't really get that, but that's really neither here nor there, now.

Perhaps it's because as a bald, white guy, I'm the last remaining butt of humor that hasn't been usurped by the politically correct thought police

Fair enough.

Perhaps you would prefer follically-challenged anglo-saxon American ?

sfjohns67
20-10-2004, 10:21
No, Thunderc*ck will do just fine.

Moscow Wolf
20-10-2004, 18:24
Is this the religious sect from Salt Lake City? Isn't Donny Osmand and the Osmand familiy Mormons?

85StonePolarBear
20-10-2004, 18:26
Originally posted by Moscow Wolf
Is this the religious sect from Salt Lake City? Isn't Donny Osmand and the Osmand familiy Mormons?

Correct, fellow quadruped :)

Shatneresque
20-10-2004, 19:23
Originally posted by allice
There's a saying in Russian which in this situation applies to both you and I. Не суди и не судим будешь.

"Judge ye not, that ye not be judged!"

From somewhere in the Bible, I think....

Definitely words to live by.

sir Gay
26-10-2004, 09:29
Originally posted by polly
Yes, a combination that worked evil wonders in films like Triump of the Will, which is heavily based on myths and manipulation.

Oh, it's such a good picture! Stylish, appealing. Good job, Leny Riefenstahl!

Russianheart, I've been an LDS convert since 1995, but have been less active for the past 7 years, not excommunicated though. Was your ex named Dave?;)

sir Gay
26-10-2004, 09:34
Originally posted by Moscow Wolf

actually, yes. and donny's younger bro, elder Osmond served his two years of full time mission in moscow 2001-2003.:)

DJ Biscuit
26-10-2004, 14:51
Originally posted by sir Gay

Russianheart, I've been an LDS convert since 1995, but have been less active for the past 7 years, not excommunicated though. Was your ex named Dave?;)

FYI

''Homosexuality Is Sin: Next to the crime of murder comes the sin of sexual impurity." Excerpt from a 2002 Mormon pamphlet.

85StonePolarBear
26-10-2004, 14:53
FYI

''Homosexuality Is Sin: Next to the crime of murder comes the sin of sexual impurity." Excerpt from a 2002 Mormon pamphlet.

NB: He posted LDS, not Latter Day Saints. Perhaps he is one of the Latter Day Sinners ;) ;) ;) (then again, that is my church and while gays are welcome, bigots sure are not).

RUSSIANHEART
26-10-2004, 16:49
One of my ex boy friends really had name Dave.
But its rather popular name, I guess.LOL

Well, I m interested in many things, not only in LDS people
and LDS converts. But the way other people are trying to communicate here -its really makes me sick, noone speaks
to the point!!!

FYI

DJ Biscuit
26-10-2004, 16:58
I hope you did not misunderstand my point. I was making it clear to Sir Gay that it seems strange he would be involved with a religion with such discrimatory views. Despite his own prejudices one would assume this would be beyond irony!

85StonePolarBear
26-10-2004, 17:24
I hope you did not misunderstand my point. I was making it clear to Sir Gay that it seems strange he would be involved with a religion with such discrimatory views. Despite his own prejudices one would assume this would be beyond irony!

Who? Me? I understand perfectly - hence my response that he had to be a Latter Day Sinner - however, prior posts show that SirGay has turned to religion in an effort to understand certain things, so I guess LDS/Mormonism (not my LDS, which is a more moderate form of leVay's ideology ;) ;) ;)) was a part of his quest.

sir Gay
26-10-2004, 17:28
Originally posted by RUSSIANHEART
[B]One of my ex boy friends really had name Dave.
But its rather popular name, I guess.LOL

/B]

Was his last name Spence? ;)

sir Gay
26-10-2004, 17:32
Originally posted by 85StonePolarBear
Who? Me? I understand perfectly - hence my response that he had to be a Latter Day Sinner - however, prior posts show that SirGay has turned to religion in an effort to understand certain things, so I guess LDS/Mormonism (not my LDS, which is a more moderate form of leVay's ideology ;) ;) ;)) was a part of his quest.

yupp, bear, correct - that was part of my personal quest. btw, humour/pun/irony/sarcasm/attention - everything you and dj shared - is well noted and appreciated. seriously. :) hang in there. oh my flu's been killing me for three weeks now :(

DJ Biscuit
26-10-2004, 18:13
I meant RUSSIANHEART big Bear.

I also saw no sarcasm in my point that it seems strange,nay, unlikely that a gay would belong to an organisation which professes itself as anti gay.However this is not so unusual when talking of religion.

Continuing but varying slightly the point one only has to point out that hypocrasy is almost a corner stone of Christianity. Thou shalt not kill? Ha!

85StonePolarBear
26-10-2004, 18:18

Continuing but varying slightly the point one only has to point out that hypocrasy is almost a corner stone of Christianity. Thou shalt not kill? Ha!

The problem is that religions are based upon ideals. I most certainly have studied and experimented with practicing my religious heritage (and no, I don't mean my version of LDS ;)) - and there is no way to live up to its ideals in real life without being a "sucker" of the first order - it just does not take human weaknesses into account. I assume that other religions are similar.

What has happened in the worst cases is that venal leaders have misinterpreted religion to suit their own aims - the Crusaders, Islamic terror, these settlers in the Palestinian territories etc - all they are doing is using their own flawed logic and in some cases sick minds to interpret out those ideals which they cannot possibly attain.

Does anyone understand what I wrote? ;)

sir Gay
26-10-2004, 18:22
I meant RUSSIANHEART big Bear.

I also saw no sarcasm in my point that it seems strange,nay, unlikely that a gay would belong to an organisation which professes itself as anti gay.However this is not so unusual when talking of religion.

as for me - i sincerely believed that refraining from practising homoexuality could mold my human (ergo sinful) self into a straight. actually, the whole christian point is to believe in what seems humanly imposible :) i personally failed my test, and that brought me to inactivity. i hate hypocrisy, too.

DJ Biscuit
26-10-2004, 18:31
I do not believe in any god and certainly most religions repulse me just for the above reasons, the immorality and hypocracy of it all. You should not have to change what you are, that is simply who you are, in order to get 'approval' or become better.

God loves everyone we are told but then humans make policy decisions on his behalf for their own greedy ends, like the anti gay thing. It's nothing to do with higher beings or gods it's purely political.

85StonePolarBear
26-10-2004, 18:34
God loves everyone we are told but then humans make policy decisions on his behalf for their own greedy ends, like the anti gay thing. It's nothing to do with higher beings or gods it's purely political.

Exactly - the problem comes when venal leaders hide behind religion to amass money or power. The ideals of religion are noble, at least on paper, but when interpreted by these crass and craven crackpots, religion becomes a force for true evil.

sir Gay
26-10-2004, 18:38
I do not believe in any god and certainly most religions repulse me just for the above reasons, the immorality and hypocracy of it all. You should not have to change what you are, that is simply who you are, in order to get 'approval' or become better.

man, you can't even imagine how important your dear words are to me!!! i suspect that i sought friendship, care, love in a wrong direction. now i do know that any organized group of mortals (which ANY church is) is likely to become corrupt. :(