PDA

View Full Version : Please help~~~son's Windows XP will not work

Mud
21-04-2009, 19:56
THanks for reading!

My 11 year old son's Dell Latitude D610 is not working. He bought game from a local place where he has previously bought games without incident. This time however, his screen turned blue and him an error message that his system is having a problem.

When he turns his computer on, the screen reads DELL blah blah blan for about 1 second and then it goes blank. We have tried pushing F8 immediatlely and he then gets a screen which reads "Please select the Operating System to start" The only choice listed is MicroSoft Windows XP Professional".

Further below it tells him to hit F8 again for advanced options and troubleshooting. He selects this and he get these options:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
Enable VGA mode
Last known good configuration (your most recent settings that worked.)
Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows Domain Controllers Only)
Debugging Mode
Disable automatic restart on system failure

Start Windows normally
Reboot
Return to US Choicees Menu

We've have tried several of those options and still have not been able to get Windows operating again.

Any help will be greatly appreciated by both me and my son. I don't let him use my laptop for fear of just such problems. Therefore his is out of business until we get this fixed.

Thanks in advance!!
Mud :thumbsup:

Voot
21-04-2009, 20:17
Hi Mud,

Did your son have a backup? Hopefully he did! But although I'm no expert, the Windows XP repair feature has saved me in a few scrapes. But you will need a CD with the full version of Windows XP. It can be used to repair your existing OS without wiping it and starting again. I've found a link that explains it better than I can:

How-to repair Windows XP (http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-repair-Windows-XP-t138.html)

I hope it helps. It usually works if there are no serious hardware problems. Although maybe someone can suggest something better.

Qdos
21-04-2009, 20:30
Run chkdsk from a Windows XP CD-ROM, if Dell gave you one.

If you haven't got one (and can't otherwise borrow one) then if you have another computer running Windows XP then you can remove the notebook drive, add it as a slave drive in your other PC, and run chkdsk on it from there...

There's an easy set of instructions on how to run chkdsk from the Windows CD-ROM at the following url :coffee:

Windows XP - Running Checkdisk from a Boot CD (http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=5097)

Personally I keep a bootable copy of Bart PE around as it lets you boot into a more familiar XP interface than the Windows Repair Console.

Mud
23-04-2009, 15:11
Thanks guys!

Qdos~~'slave drive'? That sounds pretty scary to a "techno-infant".

Unfortuately, I bought my son's computer second-hand through E-Bay. I did not get the XP disk, (a mistake which I never plan to repeat). I bought my Toshiba Satelite laptop new and have the disk but it runs on MS Windows Vista, (the instructions say that it will not work on another computer). Is using that disk on his laptop even a possibilty somehow despite what the instructions say? If so, what do I need to know/do?

Better yet, without the XP disk for my son's Dell, am I out of luck or is there some other way~~~(ie---DOES ANYBODY HAVE AN XP DISK WHICH I MIGHT BORROW?)

Again, I am challenged when it comes to anything remotely technical so any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Mud

OuterSpace
23-04-2009, 15:28
If you or someone can take that notebook to me today ( i work very close to Voykovskaya Metro Station ) i can fix it for you free !

Check your PM

Qdos
23-04-2009, 16:24
Qdos~~'slave drive'? That sound pretty scary to a "techno-infant"

If we didn't make it scary guys like me wouldn't earn a crust... :p

Mud
23-04-2009, 18:25
:applause:

If you or someone can take that notebook to me today ( i work very close to Voykovskaya Metro Station ) i can fix it for you free !

Check your PM
Thanks OS! See ya' tonite at Imperia for Pool and if you can fix my son's laptop then I promise not to beat you too badly~~~he he he! :applause:

Mud
23-04-2009, 18:30
If we didn't make it scary guys like me wouldn't earn a crust... :p
Yep! We've all gotta' earn a crust ~~~ just leave a few crumbs is all I ask.

robertmf
23-04-2009, 18:53
Yep! We've all gotta' earn a crust ~~~ just leave a few crumbs is all I ask.

I offer up my standard solution to all M$ problemos ...

https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

OuterSpace
24-04-2009, 11:30

Check your PM

Hi Mud
I have good news ! I fixed your notebook today
It took only 10 min !
Now i am updating Windows and Virus Software and will check whole notebook in general
Wait my SMS ! :) If you available today you can come and take it ...

Mud
25-04-2009, 23:44
Hi Mud
I have good news ! I fixed your notebook today
It took only 10 min !
Now i am updating Windows and Virus Software and will check whole notebook in general
Wait my SMS ! :) If you available today you can come and take it ...
Hey Outer Space!

My son is dictating this message for you.

"I thank you very much because now I can finally use the internet. I could not have done it without you."

Little Mud

I made up the "Little Mud" part. I don't think he wants that moniker.

Big time thanks Outer Space! I just need to keep him off of these games and game sites.

All the best!
Mud

OuterSpace
26-04-2009, 03:02
Hey Outer Space!

My son is dictating this message for you.

"I thank you very much because now I can finally use the internet. I could not have done it without you."

Little Mud

Big time thanks Outer Space! I just need to keep him off of these games and game sites.

All the best!
Mud

You welcome my friend
it is my pleasure to see you and your son happy!
Cheers!

i can also help you regarding Parental Control of his internet usage using some special softwares

Mud
26-04-2009, 23:23
:o
You welcome my friend
it is my pleasure to see you and your son happy!
Cheers!

i can also help you regarding Parental Control of his internet usage using some special softwares
Parental Control of his internet usage, eh? ~~~ That may be a good idea! I have been using a sledge hammer until now ~~~ is that perhaps the problem ~~~ xaxaxaxa?

Whatcha' got that might make sense for gaming and for inappropriate content for an 11 year old boy?

Thanks!
Mud :Loco:

robertmf
27-04-2009, 00:03
Hey Outer Space!

Little Mud

All the best!
Mud

Just be glad it's not "Mudd" with 2 'd' :zoom:

Mud
27-04-2009, 00:12
Just be glad it's not "Mudd" with 2 'd' :zoom:
Yes~~~ that would muddy the waters a bit wouldn't it?

Qdos
27-04-2009, 00:26
I hope nobody wants to turn software discussion into a warez topic... :devilish:

Netnanny is a reasonable software solution for parental control, however if you have a hardware firewall in your router a number of the more decent amongst them allow for site censoring based on wording...

Image censoring isn't possible with a hardware firewall, but then your average eleven year old boy isn't into visiting RedTube all that much...

Both Vista and Windows7 offer better parental control than XP does of course, but you'll be knee deep in bloat compared to good ole XP... :zoom: