PDA

View Full Version : Detox question.

Sheepy
17-10-2004, 18:20
Anyone got any cool tips on de-toxing after a very long spell of over-indulging? How long should a detox last and when's the best time to start one? Does it actually do you any good or is it just a load of sweaty hippy b****cks? :)

Surok
17-10-2004, 18:23
I think it does work - a friend of mine did it several years, and looked amazing - gorgeous skin, hair, bright eyes and bushy tail.

Haven't got a clue how to go about it though...

85StonePolarBear
17-10-2004, 18:23
Look at South Beach Diet www.southbeachdiet.com and consider doing phase 1 for 2 weeks rather than some sort of unproven detox. Detox is a load of ballast indeed :)!

Sheepy
17-10-2004, 18:25
Yes that's exactly what I'd like to achieve...good hair, skin and a nice glow....but there are so many to choose from. :( ranging from starvation to the juice detox. Do you happen to know what your friend was following?

Sheepy
17-10-2004, 18:28
Yeah I had a look at the South Beach Diet...doesn't look too difficult and I do like fish and veggies :)

85StonePolarBear
17-10-2004, 18:29
Works for me - >30 kgs since 25.11.03 and only 8 odd kilos to go!

Sheepy
17-10-2004, 18:34
:eek: Wow! That's amazing. Well done! :agree:

I have to admit though I'm pretty useless when it comes to starting and sticking to an eating plan...that's why I thought that if I went through a gruelling 2 week detox plan then I might think twice before going back to stuffing my face again.

Sadie
17-10-2004, 18:56
Originally posted by Surok
.. bright eyes ...
that's probably bcuz she was hungry all the time.
in fact, i doubt that any diet can effect good hair, skin etc. etc.
your body eats itself, not only it burns the fat, but chews all the minerals, vitamins, water etc etc from every part of your body, including hair and skin. Skin can become better if it was too oily or (pardon me) say not too clean - because of the same reason.

Shatneresque
17-10-2004, 19:34
Originally posted by Sheepy
Anyone got any cool tips on de-toxing after a very long spell of over-indulging?

Lots of protein (fish, poultry, lean meat);

Plenty of fruits and veggies (raw or steamed, unsugared juices);

Whole grains, particularly brown rice, in moderation;

No refined sugar;

No alcohol;

Minimal caffeine;

Minimal dairy food and fats (use olive oil for cooking);

Lots of plain water (at least eight glasses a day).

Very simple, and it really, REALLY works!

Kingwillhe
17-10-2004, 20:02
I don't want to complicate this thread but detoxify from what?

Is this specific to certain chemicals? As an old chemical abuser you can't possibly be equating hydrogenated fats etc with opiates and such!

Just a curious aside!:confused:

Sheepy
17-10-2004, 20:40
Originally posted by Sadie
Skin can become better if it was too oily or (pardon me) say not too clean .

Funny you should mention that... I had a mate who had the most beautiful long shiny hair...his secret was to wash it as rarely as possible and to avoid using any shampoo, conditioner or any other hair care product.

Sheepy
17-10-2004, 20:43
Originally posted by Kingwillhe
I don't want to complicate this thread but detoxify from what?

From over-indulging on the usual crappy junk foods and alcohol. :shame:

85StonePolarBear
17-10-2004, 20:46
Funny you should mention that... I had a mate who had the most beautiful long shiny hair...his secret was to wash it as rarely as possible and to avoid using any shampoo, conditioner or any other hair care product.

What did he use then? Washing up liquid?

Sheepy
17-10-2004, 20:50
According to him just filtered water. He looked like a caveman for the first couple of months but after that the hair's natural oils took over which gave him his smooth silky locks.

85StonePolarBear
17-10-2004, 20:57
Of course I shampoo my thick fur with Domestos to keep it as white as the driven snow, especially when I get it soiled by posting in some of the threads on this Site ;) ;) ;)!

Sadie
17-10-2004, 20:58
u know we say: "1 sm is not dirt, if more than 1 sm - it will fall off itself" :p
Sheepy, it's all very individual, I once tried a detoxing torture - apples for breakfast, lunch and dinner and apple juice (2 days), then apple juice only (1 day) and olive oil in the end. I can't remember how much oil and what actually 4. The effect was visual, but it's disgusting.
On the other hand - there are so many special teas and stuff ..

85StonePolarBear
17-10-2004, 21:17
u know we say: "1 sm is not dirt, if more than 1 sm - it will fall off itself" :p
Sheepy, it's all very individual, I once tried a detoxing torture - apples for breakfast, lunch and dinner and apple juice (2 days), then apple juice only (1 day) and olive oil in the end. I can't remember how much oil and what actually 4. The effect was visual, but it's disgusting.
On the other hand - there are so many special teas and stuff ..

Do you mean to say that I only accumulate a mere centimetre of dirt in my thick layers of fur by posting here? I can think of a few days when it was positively caked with a brown substance of pungent odor ;) ;) ;).

If you really want to feel that you are "detoxing," enjoy a bottle (1.5 litres) of some sort of mineral water (with a real mineral content) along with phase 1 of South Beach. I use Comtrex (70-80 RUR/bottle at Perekriostok and Azbuka Vkusa among others) when I feel I have some sort of "poison" (usually ethanol) in my system - but the scientific basis for that is lacking, to put it mildly except that Comtrex is similar in calcium content to milk and is much easier to drink.

Sadie, what happened to your digestive system after THAT one? Your attempts to achieve weightlessness are very entertaining, my friend!! ;) ;) ;)

My vet once recommended that I detoxify myself (after having had about four bottles of absinthe one night at Hard Rock) by consuming twenty two watermelons, rind and all, over the course of two days, followed by a can of synthetic motor oil! Instead, I just ate the vet ;) ;) ;)!

Sadie
17-10-2004, 21:27
that's cuz i read funny books about it
anyway, apples do have a dramatic detoxifying effect, whenever I feel ..bad.. - i eat this activated charcoal and drink water with apple vinegar - yumm ! :p it works

85StonePolarBear
17-10-2004, 21:34
actually, of all of the dubious and demented diet suggestions out there, that is one of the better ones - apples do have plenty of nutritional value, and olive oil is very healthy.

Sheepy
18-10-2004, 07:36
whenever I feel ..bad.. - i eat this activated charcoal...

I know someone who eats that and swears by it. I tried it once...it was like chewing on a mouthful of mud. :D Are the tablets as effective though?

85StonePolarBear
18-10-2004, 09:33
I know someone who eats that and swears by it. I tried it once...it was like chewing on a mouthful of mud. :D Are the tablets as effective though?

I used to use the tablets when I used to overindulge a lot more than I do now - yes, they work but you need to use about ten of them, a couple of times a day.

Sheepy
18-10-2004, 09:38
10 seems like rather a lot. Any unexpected side-effects?

I heard you should only take them when you have the runs. :confused: Or was that to stimulate the runs?

85StonePolarBear
18-10-2004, 09:41
10 seems like rather a lot. Any unexpected side-effects?

I heard you should take them only when you have the runs. :confused:

Only one side-effect; you do NOT want to see what your ****e looks like after using carbon ;) ;) ;)! I took them for a combination of the runs and stomach pain brought about by overeating plus alcohol.

Idiot Amin
18-10-2004, 21:48
As many of you know, when I ran Uganda I was known for my love of native cuisine - broiled cabinet ministers were my favourite. After a week of indulging (I dismissed my whole cabinet for disloyalty), my witch doctor, Crocodile Mkufassa, insisted that I drink a whole Imperial gallon of vinegar, followed by drain cleaner and bleach, so as to get rid of the evil spirits which I ingested along with those disloyal ministers. Nevertheless, I lived to be almost eighty years old - not bad for an overweight guy with untreated syphilis.

Love,

Idi

Shatneresque
18-10-2004, 21:55
that's cuz i read funny books about it
anyway, apples do have a dramatic detoxifying effect, whenever I feel ..bad.. - i eat this activated charcoal and drink water with apple vinegar - yumm ! :p it works

Water with apple cider vinegar and honey: a natural tonic! I believe something to this effect is posted on the Internet....

debeaty
05-11-2004, 16:27
This is a late addition - but I went through a 40 day juice fast last winter and felt WONDERFUL! I looked years younger - my skin was the best it has looked in 20 yrs! and, I lost about 20 lbs that I've been able to keep off!
I HIGHLY recommend a juice fast!

Good luck!

DJ Biscuit
05-11-2004, 16:39
You mean like nothing but juice? Nothing at all?

Wow, that takes some self control. How long can one do that for?

40 days non stop?

debeaty
05-11-2004, 16:58
Yes, did it for 40 days straight. It was difficult for the first 4 days. Then, I was weak for a while - but I learned to rest more. . . spent a lot of time reading, thinking, and praying - - it was a wonderful time! I'm really glad I did it!

debeaty
05-11-2004, 17:09
It is not recommended to go on a juice fast for more than 40 days.
The juice I made myself from fresh fruits and vegetables - the fruit juices were great! My favorite is still "Lemonade" - made from the juice of about 3 apples and the juice from 1/2 a lemon! The best lemonade you'll ever have!

Akila Pils
11-11-2004, 13:44
Akila's recipy for detox

day 1/ 1 liter juice of sour cole
day 2/ 1 liter juice of red beets
day 3/ 1 liter juice of red beets
day 4/ 1 liter tomato juice
day 5/ 1 liter tomato juice

before and after you have to go slightly back and upward on the food - ban coffeine/meat/butters/...

During the five days you should drink a lot of water; tea is also allowed.

this diet gives you a hard time (especially day) but you would be surprised in the end how easy it is... and how good you come out of it. Not sure if this cure is possible to do during russian winter though.

Sheepy
16-11-2004, 18:10
Originally posted by debeaty
My favorite is still "Lemonade" - made from the juice of about 3 apples and the juice from 1/2 a lemon! The best lemonade you'll ever have!

Thanx for the recipe (although I made it from boxed apples juice). Still very refreshing. I put in 2 lemons for that extra tangy taste.

Well I've been de-toxing for a week now and have grown rather partial to red wine (managed to convince myself that it was made from grapes so must be good for your, right?) ;)

85StonePolarBear
16-11-2004, 18:26

Well I've been de-toxing for a week now and have grown rather partial to red wine (managed to convince myself that it was made from grapes so must be good for your, right?) ;)

Where I come from, that is called intoxication, and the antidote is de-tox!

SunnyBunny
09-12-2004, 13:24
According to him just filtered water. He looked like a caveman for the first couple of months but after that the hair's natural oils took over which gave him his smooth silky locks.

oh my, this is so gross!

Ghost
09-12-2004, 13:46
Sheepy, if you want to detox, we'll talk more on Saturday. I've got just the solution for you. (all jokes aside)