PDA

View Full Version : Looking for something to do on Lake Baikal?

gbtvolunteer
21-04-2009, 07:29
Hello all!

I am a volunteer with Great Baikal Trail, a non-profit which works to build environmentally-friendly trails in the wilderness around Lake Baikal. The summer projects not only work to build trails in the wilderness, but also to form international bonds and encourage environmentally sustainable practices in the region. I highly recommend participating in one of their projects!

If you are interested in learning more, visit their website: greatbaikaltrail.org. There, they have descriptions of each of the summer projects. The locations vary from Severobaikalsk (the northernmost part of Lake Baikal) to Ulan Ude (a town to the southeast of Lake Baikal in Buryatia). Participating in a project is a great way to see the unique wildflife while participating in the growth of ecotourism in the area. The projects are conducted in both English and Russian, and people participate from all over the world.

If you would like to hear more from a volunteer, feel free to reply to this thread. I will gladly answer any questions you may have!

Qdos
21-04-2009, 15:25
And get eaten by a bear? :mooooh:

robertmf
21-04-2009, 22:58
:wavey: Nice place. I've gone swimming :drink::drink: (albeit :cold: briefly) in Baikal.

You might want to check out baikalogy (http://www.baikalogy.com/) and perhaps post about your Great Baikal Trail there.

Another to check out is the Sierra Club outings. These are not only 'nature' trips, but also can entail volunteer works.
Sierra Club Outings | National and International Outings (http://www.sierraclub.org/outings/national/)

FatAndy
22-04-2009, 15:38
2 Qdos
get eaten by a bear? - no, they're quiet and polite there. But ticks are angry, hungry and carry a lot of infectional diseases...:545:

Zyablik
22-04-2009, 17:42
robertmf !
Pl change your signature!!!!:mooooh::farout:

chclover
27-05-2009, 12:06
where is nice place to stay in Irkustk with view of the lake?

chclover
27-05-2009, 12:07
sorry Im not sure where to post this - where is a nice mid price range place to stay in Irkutsk with view of the lake?

Margo
27-05-2009, 13:23
I don't think it is possible
Google Maps (http://maps.google.ru/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=52.119999,104.795837&spn=0.94778,2.911377&z=9)

FatAndy
27-05-2009, 14:26
2 chclover:
Last summer there was not bad Mayak hotel in Listvyanka village which is located at lake.
http://www.baikalsea.ru/rus/list/l_mayak
Irkutsk is not very close to Baikal itself - 70 km.

Mirka
27-05-2009, 15:39
Oh this is absolutely cool. I am just thinking about the trip to lake Baikal during the June holidays. This tread couldn't have better timing. Thanks for all posts.
Mirka

FatAndy
27-05-2009, 22:42
Mirka, consider to get immunization againist ticks encephalytus (клещевой энцефалит). And check what's againist Laima disease (болезнь Лайма). Ticks are carriers of both. And June is month of their activity, July is easier.;). Details by PM if you or anybody else interested.

Papotchka
17-06-2009, 22:32

In all the times I have been to Irkutsk/Lake Baikal, I have yet to see a single bear... or tiger for that matter. :wavey:

Cheers!

robertmf
18-06-2009, 00:19

In the olde days the wolves would have been a worry for the troikas.

AstroNoodle
11-10-2009, 09:45
2 Qdos
get eaten by a bear? - no, they're quiet and polite there. But ticks are angry, hungry and carry a lot of infectional diseases...:545:

I can get a tick bite in my yard just as easily.

I plan to got to Lake Baikal but don't know when I will be able to do so yet. Great thread -- thanks for the site. Glad your org has backing.

robertmf
11-10-2009, 23:51

I took a boat ride down from Irkutsk to Baikal :trampoline:

pitatiu
19-05-2010, 11:14
Very nice place indeed.

pitatiu
19-05-2010, 11:21
Very nice indeed.

nbogaard
19-05-2010, 13:54

I don't believe that you can see Baikal from Irkutsk. I think it is about 70 km away.

ReallyGreatConcerts
19-05-2010, 15:02

Irkutsk is about 70km from Lake Baikal, so you can't see the lake from there, I'm afraid.

The closest points on the lake (from which you can see it) to Irkutsk are Port Baikal, and Listvyanka. Listvyanka has lost its former appearance as a fishing village, and is now mainly a tourism resort, with also some new and rather vulgar-looking houses built as homes by Irkutsk "biznismeny". One is in the style of a Mexican hacienda :mad:

There are some small hotels in Listyvanka, and also the new and rather controversial (how was planning permission obtained? Listyvanka is inside the Baikal National Park zone) 3* Hotel Mayak.

If you want to see more traditional aspects of Baikal, you have to go further - to Bolshie Koty (by hydrofoil service from Irkutsk, there's no road) or Bolshoe Goloustnoe (by road or infrequent hydrofoil).

furmanov
27-05-2010, 18:45
Irkutsk is about 60 km far from Baykal lake. To have a lake-view you should go to Listvyanka village.

platinum23
27-05-2010, 18:52
I'd wait for about 2-3 more weeks before going.

Listvyanka is the closest spot from IRK, but, honestly, it is nothing special. If you have the time, check out Olkhon Island.

If you are staying in a hostel or something, there is a good one on Stepana Razina (I believe that's the name). They have info about other stuff to do in town.

furmanov
27-05-2010, 19:00
Gbtvolunteer, have you seen kitesurfers on Baykal - people dressed in black neopren suits riding waves by board with kite? I'm planning to spend July in Irkuts region and thinking of taking my kite with myself.

bari
27-05-2010, 20:26
I have been there 4 times for a contract, always went to baikal, unfortunately all the visits were in the Winter:redcard:,
Great place, smoked amul fish and Beer with a shot of Vodka:fridaysign: - what is better than that...
Never liked the big buildings built there by the rich - kills the harmony of the area, last time I was there A Villa was painted in Red and Pink - Couldn't believe who could think of such a combination...
The Tickets and Hotel was expensive, stayed in a Hotel in Irkutsk - paid 120 euros per day:11088:

Hello all!

I am a volunteer with Great Baikal Trail, a non-profit which works to build environmentally-friendly trails in the wilderness around Lake Baikal. The summer projects not only work to build trails in the wilderness, but also to form international bonds and encourage environmentally sustainable practices in the region. I highly recommend participating in one of their projects!

If you are interested in learning more, visit their website: greatbaikaltrail.org. There, they have descriptions of each of the summer projects. The locations vary from Severobaikalsk (the northernmost part of Lake Baikal) to Ulan Ude (a town to the southeast of Lake Baikal in Buryatia). Participating in a project is a great way to see the unique wildflife while participating in the growth of ecotourism in the area. The projects are conducted in both English and Russian, and people participate from all over the world.

If you would like to hear more from a volunteer, feel free to reply to this thread. I will gladly answer any questions you may have!