PDA

View Full Version : e-Booker Club

FussyFrisky
16-10-2004, 09:33
Can we have a folder (or a subfolder in The Box Office!) for the bookworms? What I mean is that many people like reading, it would be great to discuss favorites, share views on some recently published bestsellers, get an advice from others on what’s worth reading and maybe to swap books.

Taking in account that we have quite a few talented posters on here , why not to announce the best post of the month? To do that we must have an option to tick the box after each post we make, something like : *Do you want your post to be in e-Booker competition? Yes/No* and a possibility for other members to vote for this post.

FussyFrisky
19-10-2004, 11:53
Why NOT???????????????????????????!!

sfjohns67
19-10-2004, 11:55
Sounds like a cool idea to me, put it next to the Movies folder. I agree, it would also be a good place to set up book swaps. Count me in.

Surok
19-10-2004, 11:58
Book swap good idea.

Count me in too.

kniga
19-10-2004, 11:59
A capital idea enthusiastically endorsed by (who else?) Kniga!

RedCosmonaut
19-10-2004, 12:06
Great idea. Gutenberg has many for free. Just read "The Iron Heel" by Jack London. Not widely known it seems. Futuristic novel, written about 1920 or so, about the triumph of social responsibility over organised Capitalism in the form of the Iron Heel. Very thought provoking, well written, and possibly the best book I have ever read.

RC

FussyFrisky
19-10-2004, 12:12
Gutenberg is a great source if you want to read classics.
You won't find Irvine Welsh there, though:)

Surok
19-10-2004, 12:23
and not everyone wants to read on screen...

plastique
20-10-2004, 16:37
not everyone wants to read classics...just finished my master's gimmie a trashy beach fiction anytime...btw..just finished babylon rising if anyone has anything they wanna trade for it/borrow it--not the best reading, totally wasn't what i thought it was going to be about..(really want to read angels and demons by dan brown)

Fa-Q!
20-10-2004, 16:45
I'm in too. So, somebody start by putting up a list of books they have that they're willing to trade.

DPG
20-10-2004, 17:10
Right, I'll do this for you now...

How do we want it guys and girls??

How about a folder next to the boxoffice for your reviews and bookshop recs etc with a sub folder for bookswapping??

Let me know!

FussyFrisky
20-10-2004, 17:16
Originally posted by DPG
Right, I'll do this for you now...

How do we want it guys and girls??

How about a folder next to the boxoffice for your reviews and bookshop recs etc with a sub folder for bookswapping??

Let me know!

That would be great. Thanks.

kniga
20-10-2004, 17:24
DPG,

Please decide, set up a place and then we can all put our "willing to trade" books there.

DPG
Done...

kniga
DPG,

Boy, that was quick! :-)

DPG
20-10-2004, 17:25
They don't call me bullet for nothing!!!!!!

kniga
20-10-2004, 17:31
DPG,

All right, Bullet, where do we put our lists of willing to trade books?

DPG
20-10-2004, 17:32
There should be a subfolder within the main folder called "bookswap shop"...????! {hoping that it worked!}

Sparafucile
20-10-2004, 17:40
More sources of book texts (in original language) to download online:

ARTEFACT
The site is in Russian, but if you can read the names of the authors (which have been cyrillicized, sometimes oddly) this is a huge resource of mainly contemporary authors. Mostly there is an archive for each author that contains their major works in original, plus also Russian translations.
http://artefact.lib.ru/cgi/library.pl?view=abc&letter=1

THE GREAT BOOKS INDEX
English-language site, with mostly classics and "serious" literature, but a lot of it not available on other sites. Not all the promised texts are there, sometimes you get a 404 error.
http://books.mirror.org/gb.home.html

MAXIM MOSHKOV'S ON-LINE LIBRARY
Again the site is in Russian, but if you can navigate it, it will lead you to both original-language and Russian-translation versions for many of the authors. This a famous online resource and there is a masses of material here.
http://www.lib.ru/

Sparafucile
20-10-2004, 17:51
Sorry about the double posting - the site server's so slow it's hard to tell if it's sending or just frozen :-(

DPG
20-10-2004, 17:56
Don't worry - I moved the other one to the Library folder...

kniga
20-10-2004, 23:29
DPG,

Can you make a folder or sub-folder where we can just list books we have for trade so we don't have to wade through all the, "Gee, I love 'Hard Rain' by Barry Eisler!" comments in the Book Section to find books we might want to swap?