PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions Wanted for Jan. 05 Tropical Vacation

yankee@moscow
15-10-2004, 11:17
Hey,

I'm looking for a nice tropical place to go around the 4th of January from Moscow. I'm considering the Maldives, but it seems like there's not that much to do other than lie on the beach.

I've eliminated the bahamas - not hot enough, Bali - too rainy, Carribean - tough to find a good deal from Moscow, Tahiti - rainy season, Egypt - too cold.

Anybody have any other recommendations?

Pingu
15-10-2004, 11:32
How about Malaysia? - Plenty to do, warm weather, friendly people. Not sure about flights from Moscow - probably via Singapore. There was a thread here recently, posted by someone who went to Malaysia from Moscow, so you might be better off doing a search.

Also, how about Hong Kong? Direct flight from Moscow. Again, plenty to do - on HK island itself, the outlying islands and you could even fit in a trip to Macau. Or maybe the Philippines? But that's a longer flight and you'd have to go via somewhere like Hong Kong/Europe. Same for Australia. But they're all great places!

Happy hunting and happy holidays! :)

Tatya
15-10-2004, 11:38
YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT BALI. IT CAN BE RAINING FOR 30 MIN MAX AND NO HUMIDITY. GREAT DIVING, SURFING, EXCURSIONS, THE BEST SPA IN THE WORLD! AND VERY PLEASANT PRICES.

ghost 6-3
15-10-2004, 12:30
Puerto Rico, for some reason, often gets overlooked. Great weather, facinating history, friendly people, plenty of English spoken, reasonable prices, very multicultural (Dominican immigrants, Cubans, Americans, Newyoricans), great music (merengue and salsa). You can catch cheap flights to the Dominican Republic or VI if you want to mix it up a bit.

trebor
15-10-2004, 14:57
Cuba, Very exotic and i believe cheap from Moscow. Go before it loose its charm.
Thailand, cheap flights from Moscow, cheap accom. too and the food? well, fantastic. Get fed up in Thailand and pop next door to Cambodia or Loas Interesting places.
India. Bombay and Goa (can't remember dates for the rainy seasonbut i believe its finished by January)
Leaving the best to last........................Hong Kong. Not so cheap but one of my favourite cities in the world. Nip next door to China if you get bored (not likely though)

yankee@moscow
15-10-2004, 15:11
I think Cuba is too far north for January. It's only like 75 degrees F there then and the same with Puerto Rico and the Domican Republic. Bali has an average of 33 centimeters of rain in January according to weather.com whereas the Maldives has an average of 2.5 cm in January.

Picky SOB aren't I?!

I've never thought about Hong Kong. I was trying to get away from the big city. Some of the other places are on the taboo list for Russian citizens; one of which will be going with me.

I'll check out Malayia and Thailand possibly. Anyone been to the Seychelles or Mauritius?

Thanks for the input!

Fa-Q!
15-10-2004, 15:18
Try Sri Lanka/Southern India, Colombo and Cochin. Beautiful, green, the food is fantastic and the people really nice. Not expensive.

Pingu
18-10-2004, 19:11
How about Vietnam? I noticed a Vietnamese airline operating from Domodedovo...

Graffiti
18-10-2004, 20:12
If you were considering Maldives then Mauritius maybe a way to go.

Sunstorm
18-10-2004, 21:35
Costa Rica. Although not sure it's gonna be cheap. You find the beaches of 2 oceans there, rainforest, mountains, strong rivers for rafting...
I'll definitely go there whenever I have time and money at the same time :)

polly
18-10-2004, 22:14
Originally posted by Fa-Q!
Try Sri Lanka/Southern India, Colombo and Cochin. Beautiful, green, the food is fantastic and the people really nice. Not expensive.

SHHHHHHH!!!!!

veejay
19-10-2004, 17:46
Go to Thailand...It's cheap...food is fab...and it's cheap...oh and the beaches are gorgeous...and it's bloody hot there that time of year...if you want a recommendation for an isolated beach, go to White Sands Beach on Koh Chang -- 2nd largest island in Thailand...

Absolute paradise...:-)

Sunstorm
19-10-2004, 17:59
Veejay - did you happen to spot many Russians in that place? I have learned one thing in my not-so-long touristic life: the service quality becomes significantly worse when a destination becomes popular in Russia.

Sparafucile
19-10-2004, 19:07
Second the recommendation for Malaysia, and the flights are not bad from Moscow. Look into cheap deals which are ticketed "Austrian Airlines" via Vienna, but are actually Austrian to Moscow and then Lauda-Air for the long-haul sector from Vienna to KL. Lauda-Air gives you a business-class size seat in Economy, and a fantastic in-flight entertainment and meal service. I would not recommend hanging-around long in or around Kuala-Lumpur itself, though - domestic flights are dirt cheap in Malaysia and run like bus services, you can easily hop a flight to Kota Kinabalu from KL, probably without even pre-booking. Around KK there are loads of resorts - you can either pre-book, or just turn-up.... in the Arrivals Hall of KK airport all the resorts have Sales Offices... you can bargain them one against another and take their best offer. I had three reps around me, each going lower and lower with prices, and then piling-on extras like "free scuba", "free room upgrade to suite", "free full board option", "first day minibar free" etc. Unless you particularly want to climb Mt Kinabalu (you need to be quite fit) there's no reason to stay in the town itself (rather ugly) and the resorts get better the further from town you go. You can also fly to the Malaysian side of Borneo from Kota Kinabalu, and take a jungle trip - I strongly recommend Albert Teo's eco-tourism trips in Sabah (you take a silent-motor launch through the jungle waterways - we saw orang-utans in the wild (not the ones in the reserve), a crocodile, several big monitor lizards, heaps of wild birds and loads of smaller apes - they dance on the hut of the eco-lodge in the morning and wake you up).

If you are going with anyone Russian, they can get a visa on arrival at KL airport in about 5 mins.

I dunno who suggested China in January, but obviously someone who'd never been to China in January? It's as cold as Moscow.

veejay
19-10-2004, 20:53
Originally posted by Sunstorm
Veejay - did you happen to spot many Russians in that place? I have learned one thing in my not-so-long touristic life: the service quality becomes significantly worse when a destination becomes popular in Russia.

There were not that many Russians there...The service was brilliant everywhere I went...I did meet other Russians, but they had stumbled upon Koh Chang quite by accident...Was a bit annoying -- I was supposed to be on holiday, and instead ended up acting as de facto translator for the Russian tourist, and Thais / Australians who befriended me there...Ah well...C'est la vie...:-)