PDA

View Full Version : Movies in English? Can only dream about that now...

Cerco_divertimento
17-04-2009, 02:06
Seems like the only place in Moscow where it used to be possible to see all latest movies in English (and without subtitles!!!) is going to hell!!! Hall 11 in Oktyabr cinema I mean...

I was there today hoping to see "Easy Virtue"... Bloody hell! It was said to be on in hall 11... Hall 11 which was supposed to be for undubbed movies... Anyway as I was just about to buy the tickets I was kindly warned that the movie was going to be in Russian! When I asked what the hell... they nicely told me that they hadn't got some kind of "license" for showing films in English and that kind of business in closed for good in Oktyabr... Art house movies are still on but for all other types that's it. Good news, ain't it, guys?

What's more I have seen "He's just not that into you" recently. The movie is dubbed completely - I mean you can't hear any English at all - only awful translation. I can tell you that it IS awful 'cause I've also seen some clips in youtube in English from which you can see that the translation is complete shit. Anyway there's no single opportunity now to see the original movie... The dvd hasn't been released yet and the copies in the internet are still too bad to download:(((((((((((((((

Movies in English? Can only dream about that now...

WandaFish
17-04-2009, 02:16
Cerco, understand your frustration... why is it necessaruy to flood the forum with multiple messages though? One would be totally enough, people aren't that thick here.

TEANA
17-04-2009, 18:24
There is one more cinema in Moscow where you can see movies in English - it's 35mm on Krasnye Vorota. it's realyy bigger and better cinema than Oktyabr is. Here you can see American and European movies in original, with subtitles in English

Good luck! =)

ezik
18-04-2009, 17:37
Cerco, understand your frustration... why is it necessaruy to flood the forum with multiple messages though? One would be totally enough, people aren't that thick here.

Hence, the posts have been merged.

It's confirmed officially that Oktyabr Hall 11 has dropped their English movie screenings. God only knows why... To me it would seem that they had the perfect location (in the middle of Moscow, close to expats) to make this a profitable business.

But, maybe, people got a bit tired of being directed to a hall almost around the back with no facilities whatsoever.

35MM is indeed much, much better! Let's hope they don't decide to switch to badly translated Russian overdubs...

edavydov
18-04-2009, 22:33
35mm is good place to watch movies in English...

WandaFish
18-04-2009, 22:34
Hence, the posts have been merged.

It's confirmed officially that Oktyabr Hall 11 has dropped their English movie screenings. God only knows why... To me it would seem that they had the perfect location (in the middle of Moscow, close to expats) to make this a profitable business.

But, maybe, people got a bit tired of being directed to a hall almost around the back with no facilities whatsoever.

35MM is indeed much, much better! Let's hope they don't decide to switch to badly translated Russian overdubs...

I think it has to do with the copyright and some law that prohibits to show the foreign language materials without a translation. Maybe someone else know more on that, I am not an expert.

This is sad, indeed... So now we can only see English language movies during some festivals, I guess...

ezik
18-04-2009, 22:40
I think it has to do with the copyright and some law that prohibits to show the foreign language materials without a translation. Maybe someone else know more on that, I am not an expert.

This is sad, indeed... So now we can only see English language movies during some festivals, I guess...

Interesting. I'll ask a friend who may know.

If it exists, it seems like a strange law to say the (very) least.

Enigma
26-04-2009, 20:29
35mm is good place to watch movies in English...

Really? I've never been here...(

myself
04-05-2009, 11:56
In the 5 Zvezd (Novokuznetskaya) they sometimes show undubbed movies (and not only in English!), you just have to check availability in advance http://www.5zvezd.ru/specialite/

belkamc2
22-05-2009, 16:29
You can watch movies in English in Radisson Sas Hotel at Kievskaya too..

Carbo
25-05-2009, 15:02
In the 5 Zvezd (Novokuznetskaya) they sometimes show undubbed movies (and not only in English!), you just have to check availability in advance Сеть кинотеатров «Пять Звезд» — Specialite (http://www.5zvezd.ru/specialite/)
I've noticed that there, though, they have the hollywood blockbuster types on dubbed Russian and the more art-house affairs in English.

Or at least that's the impression I get from their website, but my Russian is gash.

Rhubard Geoff
25-05-2009, 16:02
In the 5 Zvezd (Novokuznetskaya) they sometimes show undubbed movies (and not only in English!), you just have to check availability in advance Сеть кинотеатров «Пять Звезд» — Specialite (http://www.5zvezd.ru/specialite/)

I can confirm been there done it. Nice place.

jeyla
26-05-2009, 13:25
You can watch movies in English in Radisson Sas Hotel at Kievskaya too..
are you sure you can still watch movies in english at the radisson? i thought they closed the movie theater a few years back... i've given up on it so i hooked up my laptop to the tv screen and i just watch everything online...

ahmettombak
01-06-2009, 17:22
The best way to watch movies in their original language is,
1- Obtaining an at least 40" FullHd Lcd Tv with high contrast and Logitech Z5500 5.1 Digital sound system
2- Personal Computer
3- High speed internet connection preferably at least 20 mbits.
4- Piratebay or another torrent site
5- 1080p movies

Frida
02-06-2009, 18:19
35 mm is the best choice)))

OuterSpace
02-06-2009, 22:10
There is one more cinema in Moscow where you can see movies in English - it's 35mm on Krasnye Vorota. it's realyy bigger and better cinema than Oktyabr is. Here you can see American and European movies in original, with subtitles in English

Good luck! =)

i have been there only once and subtitles were Russian not English..

ezik
03-06-2009, 00:25
i have been there only once and subtitles were Russian not English..

The policy at 35 MM is to show the movie in the original language, not necessarily English. So if you watched e.g. a French movie, it can be that the audio was in French and the subtitles in Russian.