PDA

View Full Version : Product perception

Ghost
14-10-2004, 10:25
Need some opinion info quick, and don't have the time to go through a real U+A.

Given the choice of the two above product names, which one would you purchase for your child and why?

Thanks in advance for all help.

moscowmail
14-10-2004, 10:29
There ya go Ghosty, I voted juice, my misses and I buy baby stuff all the time and the wording does put us off, I gotta be honest, my misses tends to buy only Gerber, a tad more expensive but my boy will always eat it and enjoy it...

85StonePolarBear
14-10-2004, 10:30
Ghost, this is a technical-legal issue. Is it 100% juice or isn't it? Sugar (sucrose or other added sugar) content if any? Or is the issue connected to the texture (fruit pulp etc)?

In any case, here in Russia, the word сок is used indiscriminately (colloquially - nevertheless there is a law regarding what you can call juice) for both 100% juice and sweetened juice drinks.

J.D.
14-10-2004, 10:30
Juice.
Nectar is too thick and sweet for children (my perception)

for myself apples and carrots are not suitable for nectar.

Ghost
14-10-2004, 10:31
Thanks, Len. Can you give me a little more insight as to why you prefer the wording Juice over Nectar? What does one make you think of instead of the other or vice versa?

Those that voted - I appreciate your votes, can you give me some feedback why you chose what you did?

Guest777
14-10-2004, 10:31
"nectar" = "sugar", i'd go for juice

sfjohns67
14-10-2004, 10:33
I voted juice for the same reason as JD. In addition, I associate nectar with fruits, not vegetables; hard to conjure up the idea of 'carrot nectar' even if it is paired with a fruit.

Ghost
14-10-2004, 10:38
Interesting, sf. What if it was Apple Pear Nectar?

moscowmail
14-10-2004, 10:48
The word Nectar reminds me of syrupy stuff, and too sugary, whether i am right or wrong, that is my perception and also my misses, she is Russian and speaks great English, there is something about the word nectar that immediatly puts her off, I have seen her looking at labels, and completley discounting ones with certain words, when I ask her, she says it is just a feeling I have, I senses what is good and what is not.

I think the perception is in the wording and the packing.....

Just my two cents worth....

Hey, there is a great marketing phrase...

"She can just sense what is good for her baby..." :)

COPY RIGHT, ANY INFRINGEMENTS WILL CAUSE ME TO COME ROUND AND SELL ALL YOUR FURNITURE .... 2004

kak
14-10-2004, 10:51
I'd would go for Nectar, just because Nectar sound more"noble". Juice sounds more crappy for me but since its not my native language i may be wrong .

Ghost
14-10-2004, 10:53
Len, my furniture is my landlords :) But that is a good phrase, I'll hand you that.

Kak - that's exactly what I'm trying to determine. To me, Nectar sounds better as well. But I'm not the one buying the product, I'm selling it - or thinking of selling it in this case.

moscowmail
14-10-2004, 10:54
Originally posted by kakrout
I'd would go for Nectar, just because Nectar sound more"noble". Juice sounds more crappy for me but since its not my native language i may be wrong .

Nectar by definition (like from a bee) is sweet and syrupy, in this day and age of healthy eating not many people woul dgo for something that 'looks' blatently sweet and sugary for their kids... I think so anyway :) but Kak my man, you have a good point

moscowmail
14-10-2004, 10:57
Originally posted by Ghost
Len, my furniture is my landlords :) But that is a good phrase, I'll hand you that.

Kak - that's exactly what I'm trying to determine. To me, Nectar sounds better as well. But I'm not the one buying the product, I'm selling it - or thinking of selling it in this case.

I will give my misses a call and ask her, she always talks to people in the shops, buyers, shop assistants, it is like she is on some major market research kick, I know she wants the best for my boy, but hey, take a break sometimes :)

Random
14-10-2004, 11:02
Voted nectar because I thought it sounded better but then read the thread and as it's for kiddy food would run with juice for the reasons MM says. Nectar sounds too sweet for ankle biters.

Aprill
14-10-2004, 11:31
Originally posted by Ghost

IMHO, its not a question what sounds better but it is the question what each of them mean for people, how they percept the drink called "juice" and the drink called " nectar".
Here we have a well-known brand J-7 that made this difference for us and formed our perception in the following way:
"Juice" contains 100% pure juice with/without some sugar added.
"Nectar" contains a certain % of juice (that because of its nature is not that tasty in its 100% condition) with sugar and water. Anyway, its not just pure juice but mixed with water and supplied with sugar.

Now you chose what perception of your product you want to get.

85StonePolarBear
14-10-2004, 11:37
Originally posted by Aprill

"Juice" contains 100% pure juice with/without some sugar added.

Unless you are talking about juice from some fruit that is sour by nature and cannot be potable without added sugar (there is one like that but it escapes me as to which one it is - pomegranate perhaps??), juice is 100% pure juice, period unless it is marked clearly as containing added sugar, and I am not sure offhand if there is any product presently available for sale that is marked as juice and also contains added sugar - if there is it is a cheaper product such as Moya Semya.

Aprill
14-10-2004, 11:46
I meant just that case of sour fruits when spoke about sugar. But juice remains juice with or without it because sugar is not water and it doesn't decrease 100% concentration of juice. And I am not sure sugar presence is an obstacle for juice to be called juice. Anyway, that's the question of GOST standarts.

peyote
14-10-2004, 12:27
i'd go for juice. i can't associate carrot with nectar.

i don't believe there's any juice out there without added sugar. if there is i'd like to buy it all the time. i usually add some water to all juices to lower down the sweetness. it's damn sweet to me and that sweetness has nothing to do with the original sweetnes of the fruit. i smell a sugar trick all over. i don't know much about apples and pears but trust me, i know my fruits (mango, orange)

call it nectar or juice i'd go for a - no sugar added - label. that would clarify and i would consider it a plus.

85StonePolarBear
14-10-2004, 12:39
Originally posted by peyote
i'd go for juice. i can't associate carrot with nectar.

i don't believe there's any juice out there without added sugar.

What fruit juice do you drink? Unless you have the honour to have stumbled across massive fraud in the industry, pretty much any good brand of juice from a reliable manufacturer is free of added sugar unless clearly marked as sweetened. You'll only find the sweetened stuff at the low price end of the line, and even then I am not sure how it is labeled now as I think standards are getting stricter.

Parmalat (Santal), J-7, Ya, Rich, Champion and Tropicana come to mind as having no sugar added so long as the product is juice (common citrus or apple) and not nectar. I think you'll find the sugar in the lower priced apple juices - Ramstore private label, Moya Semya - but again I don't have the present standards in front of me nor have I had professional reason to check this out in over 6 months so I am not sure of present label standards or brand status at present.

DJ Biscuit
14-10-2004, 16:16
Carrot nectar?

Juice just sounds more healthy. Whether it is or not is immaterial. It's perception you are asking about, therefore juice.

DJ Biscuit
14-10-2004, 16:16
Carrot nectar?

Juice just sounds more healthy. Whether it is or not is immaterial. It's perception you are asking about, therefore juice.

Random
14-10-2004, 17:24
Am I the only one who just doesn't really like the sound of Apple & Carrrot together whether it be nectar, juice or drink ???

JUst doesn't sound that nice a combo .... sorry !!

85StonePolarBear
14-10-2004, 17:27
I went through my material on the subject, and it is pretty clear that most everything labeled juice out there is 100% natural (usually from concentrate) fruit juice. In fact, I am not even sure that sour fruit juices are sweetened with sugar if they are marked juice - in other markets, apple juice is often used to offset the sourness. Ramstore private label is the only possible example of a sweetened juice that I know of, and it was marked as such when we researched this topic this past winter. Moya Semya seems to be 100% juice as well.

So, if you are buying fruit juice in Russia, chances are that it is 100% fruit juice, but read the label if the price seems low. And by the label, I mean the product label - small stores will often mark any fruit related liquid as сок on their shelf tags.

Just to really put everyone to sleep, I'll also mention that there is something called berezovy sok - birch juice - out there - this is heavily sugared birch sap or something equally as unappealing.

After writing all of this, I think I'll stick with absinthe for breakfast - helps me with my postings ;) ;) ;)!

sfjohns67
14-10-2004, 17:28
My wife has "svezhevyzhaty" carrot/apple all the time, I was skeptical myself until she made me try it; I found it to actually be a pretty tasty flavor combo.

Random
14-10-2004, 17:36
Think I gotta go with the bear - absinthe does start your day off with a kick !!

:p

Sfj I bow to your knowledge of all things juiced