PDA

View Full Version : Prep for Move to Moscow with a Family - HELP

SouthernCross
11-04-2009, 11:47
Greetings all!
I am currently living in South Africa, but I am being offered a posting in Moscow at a decent level in the company. The main question is what is the minimum amount that would see us (a family of 4 - kids 8yo and 4yo) through in Moscow on a single salary?

BeachBum
11-04-2009, 12:53
Greetings all!
I am currently living in South Africa, but I am being offered a posting in Moscow at a decent level in the company. The main question is what is the minimum amount that would see us (a family of 4 - kids 8yo and 4yo) through in Moscow on a single salary?
Many variables in this equation.

But in general you can get by quite decently on 4-5,000 dollars per month. The expats here will mostly tell you you need 8000 to 10000.. but most of these people live in exclusive housing, have drivers, cars, and many extravagances. But really you can get buy with one car or no car. (metro is easy cheap and goes everywhere faster than any car). Food is cheap. you can shop at any of the large markets for prices comparable to any food store in America or Britain. All other essentials like medical and school are cheap. Of course english schools for your kids can be expensive. Not sure about the prices in this area but if your kids can get by on the language problems any russian school is great!...

Bels
11-04-2009, 13:43
Will you be provided with free accomadation, full health cover and care, education for your children etc.

Let's not forget this person is coming with a family and it's no good quoting a survival figure for a single person. I don't do much grocery shopping, but my wife is complaining every day of horrendous rising costs of shopping eating into our modest income. For most families here, I think you need salaries from both spouses to live decently here, but unfortunately my wife has a hyperactive 3 year old boy who is totally dependant on his Mother.

MissAnnElk
11-04-2009, 15:34
All other essentials like medical and school are cheap. Of course english schools for your kids can be expensive. Not sure about the prices in this area but if your kids can get by on the language problems any russian school is great!...

Medical care is very cheap if you can speak Russian and don't mind the Russian medical centers. For someone with a Western mentality, it might not be your style. English-speaking, Western style care can be quite expensive . . . hopefully your employer provides insurance, however, and then it is not a big deal.

Food can be cheap: root vegetables like beets and carrots can be VERY cheap. Other vegetables like broccoli and zucchini are very expensive. I don't consider those posh foods, but I still cringe when I buy them. Forget about things like berries . . . it is strawberry season now, and they are finally affordable, but still not cheap.

Further, you have to factor in the effort to get to the cheaper shops. Auchan which is only in the malls in the suburbs, has a good selection and excellent prices. Closer in to town, even the open markets can be expensive.

Housing prices are very much in flux now, but the farther away from the center you are willing to live, the lower the prices.

English language schools can be . . . what? More than $10,000 US per kid per year? And there are waiting lists. Even the Russian schools can cost a lot . . . and you might encounter difficulties getting a Russian public school to take your kids, although I am told there is no rule prohibiting your kids from attending. But as a practical matter, without Russian language skills, you might be hard pressed to convince the administration to allow them to attend.

Bels
11-04-2009, 16:37
I'd like to know of any Russians who trust their own state medical care of doctors or dentists. My wife will not go near them, and would rather go all the way to Moscow as and when we can afford. Otherwise we just suffer.

There have been some horror stories of dentists, doctors, and hospitals here in the west locally. And we wouldn't go anywhere near them.

For groceries, all I can say is that Moscow centre must br cheaper than the Western region or USA by comparison has a high inflation rate same as Russia. Most certainly property is not any cheaper in the Rublevo shosse area.

Mud
11-04-2009, 16:39
Now I have, seen 'that Southern Cross for the first time'! Sorry~~could not resist.

Welcome to the Expat.ru forums!

I hope that you enjoy yourself here.

All the best!
Mud :o