PDA

View Full Version : Russian driving licence

marcoc
11-04-2009, 04:20
I'm foreigner and I would like to take the russian driving licence to see if that semplify all the discussion I have with dps. Can someone please let me know if is possible and what the process is?

Many thanks
Marco

thva
11-04-2009, 23:18
This depends upon your status here in Russia:
If you are here on Permanent Residency and you already have a valid foreign license (which it sounds from your post that you do), then you only take the 20-question theory test, but don't have to do the actual driving test. And in fact in this case, you are REQUIRED by law to get a Russian license, as your foreign license is no longer valid after 60 days.

If you are here with any other status, then your foreign license doesn't help you - the only option is to take the theory test and the driving test, like any Russian (or to buy a license, like many Russians!). But the problem is that your license will only be valid for as long as your registration here, so probably this is only an option for those with temporary residency (3 years) or something long-term like this.

If you read Russian, here is the link to the regulation that states all this Информационный портал ГАИ РУ: Правила сдачи квалификационных экзаменов и выдачи Водительского Удостоверения (http://www.gai.ru/PermisDeConduire/p406/)
(thanks Potato Junkie for the link, I'm just passing it on!)

Fionn
29-05-2009, 13:48
thva -

how do you go about buying the license? i need one but i would prefer to pay for it like the natives...

Sidney Bliss
29-05-2009, 13:54
thva -

how do you go about buying the license? i need one but i would prefer to pay for it like the natives...

My 10 year Russian licence recently expired and I have had no success in buying a new one (through contacts with contacts in the GAI etc) - it was possible once upon a time but the chances are bascially zero these days.

RuOz
01-06-2009, 11:04
what's the story for a Russian citizen who permanently resides overseas and holds an overseas driver's licence? e.g. a russian national with a US licence coming back to work in Russia

if citizenship counts as PR then theoretically a computerised knowledge test should suffice to obtain a Russian DL?

nepolean77
02-06-2009, 10:39
I have done most of my travel by train I am outside of Moscow so need to travel a lot I have a international license how long does that last I am from NZ I see in message above I only have to do the 20 questions test thats great news it was the drive I was worried about I take it the test is in english as well?

tgma
02-06-2009, 11:14
Nepolean77 - no, the test is in Russian, done on a computer. You need to get 18 out of 20 right, if I remember correctly. And it's not an easy test - they will get you on all the intricacies of the law - like whether it's OK to overtake at an intersection in an urban area, or outside an urban area. It's certainly not as easy as the NZ test, when I did it about 28 years ago!

GaNozri
02-06-2009, 14:49
Latest info from GAI - 35000 rub still buys you a DL.

Sidney Bliss
02-06-2009, 15:19
Latest info from GAI - 35000 rub still buys you a DL.

A licence valid for the length of your visa?

RuOz
02-06-2009, 15:23
Nepolean77 - no, the test is in Russian, done on a computer. You need to get 18 out of 20 right, if I remember correctly. And it's not an easy test - they will get you on all the intricacies of the law - like whether it's OK to overtake at an intersection in an urban area, or outside an urban area. It's certainly not as easy as the NZ test, when I did it about 28 years ago!

how much do they charge for the test?
how many times can one fail? :rules:

GaNozri
02-06-2009, 15:35
A licence valid for the length of your visa?

I believe it's 5 or 10 years. It shouldn't have anything to do with your visa.

GaNozri
02-06-2009, 15:39
what's the story for a Russian citizen who permanently resides overseas and holds an overseas driver's licence? e.g. a russian national with a US licence coming back to work in Russia

if citizenship counts as PR then theoretically a computerised knowledge test should suffice to obtain a Russian DL?

If you have Russian citizenship you cannot use a foreign DL in Russia. But I have been driving for 5 years+ with a NY DL nevertheless. TRAFFIC COPS CANNOT ASK YOU FOR YOUR PASSPORT, VISA, OR REGISTRATION!!!!!!!
When they tell you otherwise - they are scamming you for $$$.
I tell them that I am US citizen, but forgot my passport at home, that I travel every week and don't have time for their crappy test. They salute and wish me a good trip.

Sidney Bliss
02-06-2009, 15:47
I believe it's 5 or 10 years. It shouldn't have anything to do with your visa.

Odd, I was out in Ul. Delovaya 6 weeks ago and was informed that Russian driving licences issued to foreign nationals are (by dint of a recently new ruling) valid only for the duration of their visas (the best case scenario for a foreigner being that you hold a residency permit and are therefore eligable for a 3 year licence).

Would appreciate any info you have to the contrary.

Thx.

GaNozri
02-06-2009, 15:56
Odd, I was out in Ul. Delovaya 6 weeks ago and was informed that Russian driving licences issued to foreign nationals are (by dint of a recently new ruling) valid only for the duration of their visas (the best case scenario for a foreigner being that you hold a residency permit and are therefore eligable for a 3 year licence).

Thx.

Perhaps its something new I'm not aware of.

RuOz
03-06-2009, 04:13
If you have Russian citizenship you cannot use a foreign DL in Russia. But I have been driving for 5 years+ with a NY DL nevertheless. TRAFFIC COPS CANNOT ASK YOU FOR YOUR PASSPORT, VISA, OR REGISTRATION!!!!!!!
When they tell you otherwise - they are scamming you for $$$

oh yes they can..if, God forbid, you are involved in an accident..

the word of wisdom from the GAI:

all is needed is to pass a computerised knowledge test..what is unclear ..how many times you can fail it and how much they are charging to sit for a test

I used to have a Soviet DL in the early 90s..I may even be able to find it..I wonder if I can convert it into a new one :eh:

geoffgich
03-06-2009, 18:38
TR or just visa holders are allowed to drive with their local DL as long is valid.

I went to GIBDD with the same concern but I was told I can drive with no worry ; actually I had the officer write down on paper the law that empowers me to drive ,I always carried this piece of paper with me tacked next to my DL.

Its good to note the following:

If you have a DL you are here in TR status or just visa holders, Then you can drive .
You need to always have your DL up to date , you either have to travel to your home countly and have it renewed ever time it expires or use other means like DHL to having it renewed, that is in case a stamp of validity is required ( in your local terms) .

GoAlex
25-06-2009, 09:59

Thx.

one can take an international driving license from the home country issued for 1-3 years and together with the national driving license one can drive in Moscow.

Ace0107
17-07-2009, 09:37
When they tell you otherwise - they are scamming you for $$$.
I tell them that I am US citizen, but forgot my passport at home, that I travel every week and don't have time for their crappy test. They salute and wish me a good trip.

Basically yes - but once I faced the situation that GAI stopped me at midnight near the MKAD. After checking documents and everything without finding something, they requested my passport which I refused ("I forgot it at home"). Their offer was to leave the car, travel back to home and show them the passport... It took me 2 hours to find a way out of this without paying and without traveling back. By law they do not have the rights - but how to explain them? ;) They even requested the passport of my passenger :boxing:

yadusolparterre
26-08-2009, 01:37
see whether or not your current driving license is accepted in russia ! sometimes it works

sminties
26-08-2009, 16:45
Also does the 60 days grace period apply if I have a work permit and work visa not a permenant residence? i.e can use my international driving license for the six month that I'm staying here while I'm on a work visa?

web
01-09-2009, 16:44

Thx.

wrong address :)
ul. 6-ya Radialnaya dom 8

special DPS division that deals only wih foreigners in moscow.

vodnistadion
03-09-2009, 22:39
wrong address :)
ul. 6-ya Radialnaya dom 8

special DPS division that deals only wih foreigners in moscow.

Did the address change? One month ago I went for the test to Delovaya street, all was there.

tvadim133
03-09-2009, 23:18
Basically yes - but once I faced the situation that GAI stopped me at midnight near the MKAD. After checking documents and everything without finding something, they requested my passport which I refused ("I forgot it at home"). Their offer was to leave the car, travel back to home and show them the passport... It took me 2 hours to find a way out of this without paying and without traveling back. By law they do not have the rights - but how to explain them? ;) They even requested the passport of my passenger :boxing:

You can ask their Numbers and write down them (they should have got), after that usualy GAI (if they are not right) stop discussion.

GAI can not check passports especially of passengers.

Policemen should introduce themselves, explaine the reason why they stop you, and why they check your documents.

To argue with them is not good, but GAI now is afraid (as I was told by GAI memeber who lives next door) of claims dramatically. So they are now careful and in case they are not right and see that a driver is going to complain afterwards, they will give up.

It worked with me even when I broke a rule, but a policemen did not have any prooves. :(