PDA

View Full Version : language

erose88
08-04-2009, 14:02
Hi, sorry if I've missed this elsewhere on the forum, I'm really keen on trying to get a work placement for a month or two somewhere like the Moscow Art Theatre, but I can't find much info on the language.
i.e. do people speak English? Would me not speaking Russian be a big problem?
I don't know where to start really!

Margo
08-04-2009, 14:32
Art Theatre School: International activities (http://mhatschool.theatre.ru/en/international/) - here is something about international relations of The Moscow Art Theater School.
May be this can help
there is address and phone number

erose88
08-04-2009, 15:57
oh yes, thanks, I've looked at that - I was wondering more about the languages spoken in Moscow in general. How well I'd cope living there for a couple of months if I don't speak Russian?

Margo
09-04-2009, 12:23
then sorry, didn't understand you this way. In this case I'm not a correct person to answer.
But, I know there was a whole group of American students studied in this school. And I attended several of their diploma plays. So as they manage to survive may be you will also.

Mud
10-04-2009, 00:11
Hello erose 88!

It really and truly depends on you. Many people show up here without any Russian language skills and while it may be difficult at times, they figure out how to get by and some even love it and stick around. Others get frustrated and it boils their blood a bit. If you make a friend or two, it goes a long ways toward letting you laugh at yourself as you struggle with the language.

You can probably learn the alphabet and that will help you to at least read the signs in the metro. Then a few simple phrases and numbers can help you to get by the initial few days and weeks. If you are only here for a short time, then I would say it is very possible to do just fine if you don't allow misunderstandings to discourage you too much.

Anyway, that's my take on it. I think you'll be fine if you can just roll with any issues and make a couple of friends~~also possible through these expat.ru forums.

All the best!

See ya' soon?
Mud :10189: