PDA

View Full Version : Hello from John and Jackie

johntel
30-03-2009, 11:19
Hello from John and Jackie :)
We are English, I'm working for a Russian telecoms company and Jackie is teaching English.
We've been here since November, so now we're well settled and acclimatised. Still struggling with the Russian language though..

adamst56
30-03-2009, 14:00
:10220: Howdy John & Jackie,
I am sure you will enjoy your stay here, even with little Russian language. I have been here 9 years and still don't have passable speech. Of course you will enjoy it much more if you improve. Good luck!

johntel
30-03-2009, 15:21
Thanks. By the way, in your experience, how many expats manage to achieve some fluency in Russian? I'm guessing its not so many... :(

blonde
30-03-2009, 15:32
Thanks. By the way, in your experience, how many expats manage to achieve some fluency in Russian? I'm guessing its not so many... :(

Hi John,
I used to have an American freind whose Russian was just absolutely perfect. He lived in Russia for almost 10 years though.
So, if you want to speak Russian fluently just start speaking)
Practice..practice...and some more practice)

TD
30-03-2009, 16:01

It has to do to a degree with how you spend your time, where you work, etc.. If you are surrounded by Russian speakers all day, chances are you will pick up the language quite a bit faster. If you were single, I would suggest finding a companion who spoke little or no English. When I first moved to Moscow, I purposely avoided expats for the most part and spent time with Russian friends who didn't speak more than a few words of English. Time, exposure, and practice are the key factors in my opinion. A little vodka to lower your inhibitions about speaking might help at times :-)

Mud
30-03-2009, 19:25
Hello John and Jackie and welcome to Moscow ~~ belatedly ~~~ and also to the Expat.ru forums!

I'm glad you've been able to settle in here. Good for you!

Regarding language, it is like most things. The more you put into it the more you will get out of it. If you are communicating with Russians in Russian regularly then you can learn steadily. If not then you are going to need to hit the books with a good teacher. Clearly a combination of both of these is best.

I hope that you find this site is helpful and that you meet a lot of good folks here as well.

All the best!
Mud :thumbsup: