PDA

View Full Version : English self-taught (need advise!)

Ursus Spelaeus
30-03-2009, 10:45
Hi there everyone!

A russian is looking for a good English self-taught books to improve his intermediate english. Please advise authors/books!

10x!

p.s. am going to Australia soon and I need to extend my active vocabulary. I belive I have a good enough pronunciation and I know simple grammar well (I think) but my vocabulary is quite small and profession specific. So what I want is to find a book which would give me lots of situations, texts, dialogues, etc.
Thank you in advance!

alterego
30-03-2009, 10:55
I hope you realize that if you take my suggestion you will not truly be self-taught.

Forget the text books. Just get some paperback books and a dictionary. I would suggest a regular English dictionary but if you're too lazy for that then a Russian-English one. You can even find some intermediate level books here in Moscow that will have a vocabulary list in the back with Russian translations.

A lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client.

Ursus Spelaeus
30-03-2009, 11:24
I hope you realize that if you take my suggestion you will not truly be self-taught.

Check&mate :)))

Forget the text books. Just get some paperback books and a dictionary. I would suggest a regular English dictionary but if you're too lazy for that then a Russian-English one. You can even find some intermediate level books here in Moscow that will have a vocabulary list in the back with Russian translations.

OK, then there is nothing special to learn but just read, read and read... Now my questings look stupid. Sorry for wasting your time! :10241:

alterego
30-03-2009, 11:37
There are plenty of special things to learn but you won't find them all in one place.
If I thought it was a waste of time I wouldn't have bothered to answer.

You might want to review 'advise/advice'.

IraM
30-03-2009, 21:02
My 2 cents. Good films - the characters chatting in English plus English subtitles. :thumbsup:

100% agree with alterego - forget the textbooks - they are crap. Good fiction (contemporary!) to read is the best idea, also you can find them recorded (CDs or MP3) so you will get 2 in 1 - reading and listening practice. And please avoid adapted books - if you are not the beginner (and you are definitely not) they do not be of any help for you.

IraM
30-03-2009, 21:11
Ok - one book I could recommend for vocabulary revision for intermediate/upper-intermediate level (that is not a text book though!) - English Vocabulary Organiser by Chris Gough. Published by LTP language. Better exercises than in a well-known Vocabulary in Use series.

robertmf
30-03-2009, 21:30
Hi there everyone!

p.s. am going to Australia soon and I need to extend my active vocabulary. I belive I have a good enough pronunciation and I know simple grammar well (I think) but my vocabulary is quite small and profession specific. So what I want is to find a book which would give me lots of situations, texts, dialogues, etc.
Thank you in advance!

Australians use alot of incomprehensible slang

G'Day
Correct Australian Greeting. It really comes out as "G'Dye"

Two Pot Screamer
Someone who can't hold their liquor

Mate
Slang for friend

Billibong
Wet or dry stream

POM
Prisoner of Majesty. A British subject.

Specky
Nifty

Trolley
Shopping cart

Septic
An American (Tank rhymes with Yank)

Crow Eater
Someone who lives in South Australia

Fix Your Jack & Jill
Pay your bill

Kiwi
Someone who lives in New Zealand

Bouncing Beef
Kangaroo == roo

Mollydooker
A left hander

Jackeroo
A farm hand

Jilleroo
A female farm hand

Emma Chissit?
How much does this item cost?

Sickie
A day off from work

Noah
A shark (rhymes with ark)

Thunderbox
Outdoor toilet

AndreyS
30-03-2009, 21:40
One more, Bob:

She'll be right!

Which means: it will work out. ;-)

Bels
02-04-2009, 17:49
If you are going to Australia you will need to pass IELTS, so why not get the course books with cd-rom

Try Cambridge Objective IELTS.

there is a catologue of many self study books at longman.ru

Bels
02-04-2009, 17:59
Try the official IELTS site, and get free samples

http://www.ielts.org/candidates/find_out_more/ielts_practice_materials.aspx

Bels
03-04-2009, 19:26
Also try the learn English from the BBC.

Learning English - Home (http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/)

Etoile filante
04-04-2009, 14:48
Try English Vocabulary in Use. Choose the appropriate level of difficulty and have fun with it ;-)

Bels
06-04-2009, 23:42
Hi there everyone!

A russian is looking for a good English self-taught books to improve his intermediate english. Please advise authors/books!

10x!

Thank you in advance!

Have you passed IELTS ?to the level you need to live in Australia?

Ursus Spelaeus
13-04-2009, 16:43
Have you passed IELTS ?to the level you need to live in Australia?

yeap, 3 yars ago I've received australian PR.

Thanks to everyone for your help!
Any additional ideas are welcome!

Allendale
13-04-2009, 20:56
Hi there,
i would suggest the great online resourse VOA News. Go to the Student series, where you can download mp3 files and listen to!!! native speakers (American English). but i bet in Australia you will be understood, and can work on your pronunciation when you get there. ah, and tapescripts are available from that site too. The best of success!

Windsor
14-04-2009, 12:43
The best way to enlarge your vocabulary is more practice. After hard work on remembering hundreds of words you have to use each hundred times. So you can ask the native speakers to meet sometimes to practice your new vocabulary. Without practice you will have a good passive vocabulary.

Good Luck!

Windsor
14-04-2009, 14:14
The best way to enlarge your vocabulary is more practice. After hard work on remembering hundreds of words you have to use each hundred times. So you can ask the native speakers to meet sometimes to practice your new vocabulary. Without practice you will have a good passive vocabulary.

Good Luck!