PDA

View Full Version : What makes someone become evil?

85StonePolarBear
05-10-2004, 17:43
Debate Bush, Iraq etc all you want - but the biggest unanswerable question is - what makes a Saddam, a Stalin, a Shitler, a Pol Pot? What makes a man who can cure disease and comfort people turn into a Harold Shipman or worse yet a Josef Mengele? Until that one is answered and addressed, will we ever see peace? Is there an answer for it?

trebor
05-10-2004, 17:56
85StonePolarBear,
I think someday they will prove it to be a chemical imbalance in the brain, genetics or a combination of both.

85StonePolarBear
05-10-2004, 17:59
Originally posted by trebor
85StonePolarBear,
I think someday they will prove it to be a chemical imbalance in the brain, genetics or a combination of both.

My feeling exactly. But then, what do we do? Without a cure, we are back at square one - even if there were prenatal testing that detected a future Hitler, could society force the mother to abort if her religious beliefs prevented it?

trebor
05-10-2004, 18:12
Perhaps its because mankinds understanding of the brain is extremely primitive compared with our knowledge of other parts of our anatomy. Our understanding of regular illness compared with mental illness (and surely, someone who is capable of overseeing the murder and suffering of millions of people is mentaly ill) is at its earliest stages of development.
We use 1/3 of our brain. What's the rest for?
Perhaps one day this will be the new tomorrow.

bona
05-10-2004, 19:42
We use about 5% of the brain. Bad evil politicians use no less, just use it in the wrong way. :(

Filimon
05-10-2004, 19:45
Biggest mistake ever: Hitler's mum saying 'yes' to "Let's go upstairs, Brunhilda, I feel a bit frisky tonight!" :)

plastique
05-10-2004, 20:19
i think it is spending a day trying to change rubles into euros, riding the metro and being misunderstood by the bimbo twat working at mcdonalds when the damn menu is just russafied english....I am having a bad day and will turn evil on the next person that pisses me off...i already called the laziest obmen valut girl on the face of the earth a bitch and still don't feel better...

85StonePolarBear
05-10-2004, 20:23
((((((((((((((((((POLAR BEAR HUG))))))))))))))) for Plastique - just take a rest, you'll be OK - and this from a bear who has not been to McDonalds in 2.5 years because they once served him regular Coke instead of diet - because the bear is hypersensitive to caffeine and sugar to the point that he becomes violent instead of huggy!

Canadian1979
05-10-2004, 22:32
Originally posted by trebor

We use 1/3 of our brain. What's the rest for?

Ummmm.....evolution ! :)

J.D.
06-10-2004, 06:42
My whole life I've been hearing this 'we only use 10% of our brain'. What is that based on. If I don't write on the back of my paper then am I only using 50% of my paper? And what about the margins? Another statistic that is baselessly bandied about 80% of the time.

I do agree with Canadian, (yes I contemplated suicide before admitting this), that evolution is involved here. We need a variety of people for humans to survive. We don't need the entire variety everyday but eventually circumstances arise that require every type for the survival of mankind. Even evil people.

Sadie
06-10-2004, 08:22
Weakness, every bad act one makes comes out of incapability to do it in a normal way I think. Aint able to earn – steal, lack brain for arguments – be rude, aint satisfied with your life – try to shit smb else’s as hard as possible. It’s easier and simpler. My cat is a piece of evil, but that’s another case – he’s brain damaged.

85StonePolarBear
06-10-2004, 08:36
Originally posted by Sadie
My cat is a piece of evil, but that’s another case – he’s brain damaged.

They are all brain damaged - the lion instinct has never been bred out of the domesticated cat - even my most affectionate furball attempts to eat my fingers every so once in a while.

After almost 2 years of utterly wild behaviour, my most aggressive cat (abused as a kitten by an alcoholic, crooked breeder) allowed me to pet him this morning and even purred! There is hope for everyone out there!

The rest of what you posted is all too reminiscent of some of the racists and other garbage who surface on this site, albeit, fortunately, quite rarely these days. But I'm not sure that it explains the truly evil - the murderous despots, the terrorists, and the serial killers who share the same DNA as we do but otherwise have no relation to humanity.

moscowmail
06-10-2004, 08:49
The answer is far more simple than that...(in my experience)

Power and money, even the best people in the world are likely to be corrupted when exposed to one or both.

I have a secretary in one of my offices who wasa great person, got a little bit of power, and now does everything possible to get more, and yes she is now VERY evil.... a long story

85StonePolarBear
06-10-2004, 09:00
Originally posted by moscowmail
The answer is far more simple than that...(in my experience)

Power and money, even the best people in the world are likely to be corrupted when exposed to one or both.

There is definitely something to that - when I was reading about the Shipman case I distinctly remember that one of the psychologists interviewed in the Times or the Guardian or whatever I was reading mentioned that Shipman was obsessed with the power of life and death that he had over his elderly patients. But what made him choose to kill over 200 of them, as opposed to doing everything possible to comfort them? There are plenty of arrogant doctors out there whose arrogance may manifest itself in bad bedside manner, or even a misdiagnosis - but cold blooded murder?

moscowmail
06-10-2004, 09:07
As part of my MBA I took a course on psychology, actually a carry on from my BA, and I got very interested in why people cross the line between reality and the ‘unaccepted behavior’ this is a long topic but very interesting and it happens everyday to normal people…… wow, just got me interested again, maybe I will pursue my education some more…. Nahhh, JUST WANT MONEY AND POWWWEERRR

Ned Kelly
06-10-2004, 09:08
yes, my work colleagues have the power to drive me insane with stupidity/absurdity - and no matter what i try i can never talk them out of exercising that power...they wield it with gusto.

85StonePolarBear
06-10-2004, 09:11
But it is all a matter of degree. Do you think this secretary has the capability to murder? I think she'll probably ruin her own career in the end - I know that type all too well myself.

Shitler may indeed have been brain damaged from his exposure to gas in WW1 (and all of his inner circle - Goebbels, Goering etc - were the types of inadequate losers whom Sadie alludes to in her post) - there the question is why in the world were so many ordinary people taken up into his web of evil. Amin had untreated syphilis; Saddam's family tree does not branch as much as it should (if someone is good at maths, compute how many relatives he shares on both sides of the family - the result must be mindboggling - and then go to the next generation, the late, unlamented Uday and Qusay whose parents are also cousins, and see what happens) - in these cases the question is how their respective countries' systems fell apart and allowed these mutants to take over and ruin everything.

moscowmail
06-10-2004, 09:16
".....But it is all a matter of degree. Do you think this secretary has the capability to murder? I think she'll probably ruin her own career in the end - I know that type all too well myself..."

Not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me, she has a way of almost hypnotising people, she was with me on a recent business trip to Belguim, we had a few drinks and she made it clear that she would ermm, you know... sleep with me. I am not stupid and understood what the reason was (it wasn;t coz she liked me)

I politely declined and made a hasty retreat, now she is out to ruin me...

"How can a 23 yr old slip of a girl do that... easy, sleep with other people, build up a force of allies, gossip, create mischief etc, fotunatley, she is not that pwerful or respected, but she has this evil streak in her... wierd huh...

85StonePolarBear
06-10-2004, 09:18
Again, she will end up shooting herself in the foot, and immaturity sounds like a factor at work here as well. Depending upon what she looks like, sounds like her next career move could be the Boar House after 23.00, followed by a sham marriage for a foreign passport or a position as a kept girl for some two bit mafioso.

Sadie
06-10-2004, 09:20
Can’t agree. Money and power is a catalyst for the prevaling inner qualities of a person (both good and bad) to develop further and sometimes dramatically. If she was mainly shitty inside, but only lacked the means to show it – money came in handy. That’s more the absense of inner culture.

Ned, what a nice bunch of people work in your office: insane, stupid and absurd :p

moscowmail
06-10-2004, 09:27
Sadie, lets put it this way, an actual example

A guy, really nice guy, family, a life, well liked by everyone.

Gets talked into local elections in the UK, just the small time stuff....

5 years later, now a memeber of parliment, stil married, but never sees his wife and kids, has 2 girlfiriends, doesn't acknowledge his former friends, wil not talk to ANYONE unless they hqave something for him...

Here comes the evil part, buys up companies that are flailing and awarsds contracts through his conections..... doesn't sound to eveil huh, but thes companies often don;t wanna sell, he makes it his mission to buy them, or put them put of business, destroying peoples lives....

I know what you say, it must be inherant, well maybe, but think if you were offered $10 million but you had to do some very bad things..... would you do it......?

Ned Kelly
06-10-2004, 09:27
ned sometimes speaks in broad strokes, two of the 10 cede power to me, making them thoughtful and intelligent ;)...they're like my power base and i protect them.

Sadie
06-10-2004, 09:31
Sadie, lets put it this way, an actual example

I know what you say, it must be inherant, well maybe, but think if you were offered $10 million but you had to do some very bad things..... would you do it......?

can you make it $15 million please? ;)

seriously, MM, I am actually very much afraid to hurt people. I strongly believe in the principle of boomerang. I can't say I would withstand the temptation, I don't know, maybe not. But when I get this boomer back, I'll certainly know for what and accept then.

moscowmail
06-10-2004, 09:33
OK, so now we have confirmd you will do anything for money, and we have your price :) just need to find a bank to gimme the dosh :)

Sadie
06-10-2004, 09:37
just need to find a bank to gimme the dosh :)
yes please :D (c above ;) )

moscowmail
06-10-2004, 09:40
:) hmmm, which bank can hold that much dosh and would sorta give it to me..... hmmm.....nope, no idea, oh well, I gotta $32 and 300 rubles.... is that any good :)

Sadie
06-10-2004, 09:41
dig deeper in you pockets :p

Idiot Amin
06-10-2004, 09:42
I have many millions stashed away in Swiss banks which I can no longer enjoy as I now reside in hot, steamy Jahinnum. As one of the dictators mentioned in this thread, I am an expert at evil. Can I get you to eat my successor, Mr Yoweri Museveni, in exchange for 15 million dollars? What is more, since I am in a place from which I cannot return, you may then take over my beloved Uganda, on the condition that you rule it as atrociously as I did, exercising your absolute power in the most corrupt manner possible.

Love,

Your Big Daddy, King of Scotland, Idi Amin Dada

moscowmail
06-10-2004, 09:46
dig deeper in you pockets :p

Aw shucks....

I guess I will have to get someone else to do the very bad things...

Does anyone know of a cleaner for some very smelly socks????

J.D.
06-10-2004, 09:47
Another example. A wonderful, perfect girlfriend. Once she gets the power of wifedom she becomes pure evil.

Ned Kelly
06-10-2004, 09:56
Originally posted by J.D.
Another example. A wonderful, perfect girlfriend. Once she gets the power of wifedom she becomes pure evil.

oh shit!

Ned Kelly
06-10-2004, 09:58
I strongly believe in the principle of boomerang.

a terrific principle. the good thing is sometimes you can throw a boomerang and it lodges in the target's head, meaning there is no danger of it returning to haunt you!

85StonePolarBear
06-10-2004, 09:59
Just don't hunt polar bears - or chinchillas - with boomerangs. The first is illegal and dangerous; the second is overkill :).

Sadie
06-10-2004, 10:00
mm, still I think you are exaggerating. all this "destroying ppl's lives", "forgot his wife and family"..
ppl drop their families for less or for different things, values change. actually my vision of money is I want as much as I can and would like to spend to give my not humble self and my family and kids fun life, to be able to protect them, to help when they are ill, to give kids good education and a good start; on the other hand I wouldn't want to spoil the members of my family with money, I have more respect for those who achieved everything themselves
and
believe it or not but bank accounts themselves do not excite me. I know ppl for whom money is the end in itself, hopefully I will never be one of them :)

Ned Kelly
06-10-2004, 10:01
Originally posted by 85StonePolarBear
Just don't hunt polar bears - or chinchillas - with boomerangs. The first is illegal and dangerous; the second is overkill :).

i have a soft spot for chinchilla...

Sadie
06-10-2004, 10:03
Ned, boomerang returns always no matter what

85StonePolarBear
06-10-2004, 10:04
Originally posted by Ned Kelly

Sometimes they are sort of nice, but sometimes they try to pick fights with animals much bigger than they are :).

ChinChilla
06-10-2004, 10:12
Ned, could you bite the bear for me then? Please?

Fa-Q!
06-10-2004, 10:13
I think most of the world tyrants, serial killers, weirdos, and evil **** have on thing in common- they don't det enough*****.

<Edited by Moscowmail who hasn't got a lot of time due to the organizing of tjr paarrteyy, so please keep your language clean on public threads>

Jet
06-10-2004, 10:14
Sadie, don't forget that SLK

Big Bugga
06-10-2004, 10:15
Boomerangs dont come back if you never let go, just use it as a club and beat their head in..works well. And for 10 million dollars...well they'll never find the bodies, what do you need done?

Bugga'

Ned Kelly
06-10-2004, 10:19
Originally posted by ChinChilla
Ned, could you bite the bear for me then? Please?

i don't want any forest diseases!

you already stuck a pin in him anyway...he was last seen flying over novosibirsk propelled by huge volumes of exiting gas.

Ghost
06-10-2004, 11:12
I think a better question is "What makes a Ned Kelly an Evil Ned Kelly?"

85StonePolarBear
06-10-2004, 11:16
Originally posted by Ghost
I think a better question is "What makes a Ned Kelly an Evil Ned Kelly?"

Multiple Personality Syndrome, which is why I so kindly advertise an advanced anti-psychotic medication in my signature without billing the manufacturer for my creative talent to say nothing of the exposure which they get to so many potential (bell) end customers ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)!

Sadie
06-10-2004, 11:35
Polar, how do you determine the number of winks to attach?

85StonePolarBear
06-10-2004, 11:40
Polar, how do you determine the number of winks to attach?

Good question - it actually depends upon the number of doses of Zyprexa which I, TwoTonne, and a couple of my quieter, more secretive buddies forget to take before any given post ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Ned Kelly
06-10-2004, 12:07
his real name is bipolar.

85StonePolarBear
06-10-2004, 12:07
Only bipolar? ;) ;) ;)

Ned Kelly
06-10-2004, 12:09
Originally posted by Ghost
an Evil Ned Kelly?"

a misnomer if i ever saw one.

Evil Ned Kelly
06-10-2004, 12:15
a misnomer if i ever saw one.

You're not giving me much fodder here, Kelly. It's difficult to be opposite of plain and mediocre

Ooh ! That was kinda a mean thing to say !

Ned Kelly
06-10-2004, 12:16
Originally posted by Evil Ned Kelly
It's difficult to be opposite of plain and mediocre

oh, i've been flogged with a wet lettuce leaf!

Evil Ned Kelly
06-10-2004, 12:21
oh, i've been flogged with a wet lettuce leaf!

You're no Knight Rider 2000.

Ned Kelly
06-10-2004, 12:22
Originally posted by Evil Ned Kelly
You're no Knight Rider 2000.

and you're a pretty lame KIT. cool avatar though.

Ned Kelly
06-10-2004, 12:26
and you're a pretty lame KIT. cool avatar though.

shit, i mean KAR.

Evil Ned Kelly
06-10-2004, 12:31
I made it in 'Bizzaro' photoshop.

85StonePolarBear
06-10-2004, 12:33
Not bad - how long did it take us from discussing pressing international issues to ending up in detsky sad....hmmm...10 posts or so?

Evil Ned Kelly
06-10-2004, 12:37
My existance is relevant to the question at hand insofar as I am an 'Evil' character, as witnessed by use of the word 'Evil' in my name.

Ned Kelly
06-10-2004, 12:43
Ok, ok polar bear...fair enough...are we allowed to discuss Evel Knievel?

85StonePolarBear
06-10-2004, 12:46
Ok, ok polar bear...fair enough...are we allowed to discuss Evel Knievel?

Why not? The way some people spell in here, they wouldn't no the difrens betwen evil and evel nohow.

DJ Biscuit
06-10-2004, 12:47
I would be interested to know what defines the word evil. As it is being bandied about rather freely.

MM claims the secretary in his office to be 'evil',and also says he has some psychology education, so a definition and explanation would be interesting. In what way is she evil? Isn't evil a rather over the top word to be using in this and other cases, or is she clinically evil? Or more than likely is this use of the word 'evil' an example of the syndrome so common in people here, that of 'humour'? ;)

Ned Kelly
06-10-2004, 12:49
Did you know Evel Knievel was behind the idea of the bionic woman?

Ned Kelly
06-10-2004, 12:53
He was also a close friend of Elvis Presley...which kind of makes sense because Evel's outfits were sort of a late Elvis on wheels.

Random
06-10-2004, 13:09

Er .....Wasn't the Bionic Man first ??? Thus the Bionic Woman was a spin off from that idea ??

A bit like it was in the bible !! Except no snake and apple ....

Evil Ned Kelly
06-10-2004, 13:10

Which was simply ingenious (after someone else had previously thought up the bionic man).

Evil Ned Kelly
06-10-2004, 13:10
Random, stop stealing my responses.

Ned Kelly
06-10-2004, 13:12
Evel got into motorbikes after starting a Honda dealership that included a $100 discount for anyone who could beat him in an arm-wrestle.

Evil Ned Kelly
06-10-2004, 13:13
Evel got into motorbikes after starting a Honda dealership that included a $100 discount for anyone who could beat him in an arm-wrestle.

Welcome to the previously unexplored murky depths of Ned Kelly's mind.

85StonePolarBear
06-10-2004, 14:45

This is true (or at least a product of EK's PR machine): Evel's first encounter with motors of any sort was as a hubcap thief. He took the name Evel Knievel with help from his cellmate, a reprobate known as Awful Knauffel.

Ned Kelly
06-10-2004, 14:50
I thought he was Albanian?

85StonePolarBear
06-10-2004, 14:58
I thought he was Albanian?

Redneck as far as I know. John Belushi was Albanian.

Ned Kelly
06-10-2004, 15:01
Talented people these Albanians!

I made it up. I was just having a discussion here about what nationality Evel might be.

85StonePolarBear
06-10-2004, 15:06
Evel was born somewhere between Jupiter and Mars, in the third dimension.

Polia Ivanova
06-10-2004, 17:16
I believe that some people are born evil - due to their parents drinking or exposure to different harmful elements their brain lacks features managing emotional spectrum.

Some people are nourished to be evil - by their parents who were not kind to them or didn't explain basic moral issues.

Some people just had a rough end of the stick too many times in their lives so it made them bitter so some people may classify them as evil although they are just cynical.