PDA

View Full Version : Who will win the US elections - and by what margin



85StonePolarBear
05-10-2004, 08:55
OK - being ambivalent and apolitical (frankly, depending on whether I'm Yiddish or British at any given moment I see the contest either as one between a schmuck and a putz or a race between a w**ker and a tosser), I'll start the poll - who will win the US elections and by what margin?

wwwoland
05-10-2004, 10:39
Already sent in my ballot. But I fear it's not going to be enough to throw the bum out. Just need a few more "hanging chads" from Florida this time. Or maybe after all these hurricanes we should be on the lookout for floating chads...

Maine Surfer
05-10-2004, 10:56
I'm expecting the worst. Makes me scared to think of another 4 years. Then it'll be Jebb, then 12 years down the down their Spanish-speaking nephew, whatever his name is :( :mad: This sucks. The Bush dynasty, emperor George W.

Scariest part is most people I know in the States will vote for Dubya. I don't understand why. After all lies and horrible things he's done...... It seems like people have closed their eyes and don't want to open them. It's cozy and comfy to live with closed eyes, why bother opening them. That sunlight is a dangerous thing, might hurt them.

jheisel
05-10-2004, 11:21
I think Bush will probably win by a small margin, but it will ultimately be decided in the courts again.

Fa-Q!
05-10-2004, 11:26
How was F 911?

Maine Surfer
05-10-2004, 11:28
Originally posted by Fa-Q!
How was F 911?

You haven't seen it yet. It's great and disturbing.

85StonePolarBear
05-10-2004, 11:30
Can it still be seen at any of the Eng language theatres? I found it unpleasant to watch on DVD as my copy left a bit to be desired, so I turned it off after a half hour or so.

jheisel
05-10-2004, 11:32
Looks like its running through Sunday at American Cinema -- http://www.america-cinema.ru/en/showtimes/

Ned Kelly
05-10-2004, 11:34
Originally posted by 85StonePolarBear
Can it still be seen at any of the Eng language theatres? I found it unpleasant to watch on DVD as my copy left a bit to be desired, so I turned it off after a half hour or so.

the first 20 minutes are ok and then it drifts off into a disconnected ramble. i was really disappointed.

85StonePolarBear
05-10-2004, 11:37
Aha - that was what I felt as well but I blamed it on losing interest because of the bad quality of the DVD I have.

Maine Surfer
05-10-2004, 11:38
Originally posted by Ned Kelly
the first 20 minutes are ok and then it drifts off into a disconnected ramble. i was really disappointed.

Ned, it's pretty typical. 1st Expat posting law: Post go off topic after 1st page (in some cases earlier)

85StonePolarBear
05-10-2004, 11:41
To get it back on topic - the three votes at the bottom there are interesting. I am as objective as I can be when it comes to elections in the country from which I emigrated 12 years ago, so I voted the second option based strictly on reading polls etc. Does it really look so close that it could go to the Supremos again?

Fa-Q!
05-10-2004, 11:44
Well, as I've told some of ya's before, Moore makes some good points, but I think he's a whiny fag, the left wing Rush Limbaugh.

Ned Kelly
05-10-2004, 11:46
Originally posted by Fa-Q!
Well, as I've told some of ya's before, Moore makes some good points, but I think he's a whiny fag, the left wing Rush Limbaugh.

you nailed it.

veejay
05-10-2004, 11:57
re: the poll, i'm one of those who voted that the the election would end up being decided by the supreme court once again. i'm hoping that it doesn't come to that. but...if it happened once, who's to say that it won't happen again? i don't trust dubya nor his ridiculous brother.

re: F 9/11. i liked it, although as a friend of mine pointed out -- i seemed to have developed turrets during the film. he has an agenda (moore, that is). he also gets people thinking...that's more than i can say for rush... i recommend seeing it.

Ned Kelly
05-10-2004, 12:06
Originally posted by veejay
he also gets people thinking...that's more than i can say for rush... i recommend seeing it.

what pissed me off was that he set the stage for something really cool. i like polemics if there's enough substance to back them and F 911 started off looking the goods.

the story could easily have just stayed on saudi arabia...i mean that is the story. it's where the money and the nutcases all come from and is untouched by both sides of the us political establishment (for good reasons, but when your country is attacked the equation surely changes...the lives of countymen become more important than oil supply/investment/an islamic revolution there etc).

but when he started woffling about some cop watching a large stretch of coastline he lost me. i mean, who gives a ****? if you put 1,000 cops there any sensible person would argue it was a godbastard waste of resources, me among them. it just turned into drivel.

veejay
05-10-2004, 12:26
Originally posted by Ned Kelly
what pissed me off was that he set the stage for something really cool. i like polemics if there's enough substance to back them and F 911 started off looking the goods.

the story could easily have just stayed on saudi arabia...i mean that is the story. it's where the money and the nutcases all come from and is untouched by both sides of the us political establishment (for good reasons, but when your country is attacked the equation surely changes...the lives of countymen become more important than oil supply/investment/an islamic revolution there etc).

but when he started woffling about some cop watching a large stretch of coastline he lost me. i mean, who gives a ****? if you put 1,000 cops there any sensible person would argue it was a godbastard waste of resources, me among them. it just turned into drivel.

right. well, i agree with in part. however, i think that his one lonely cop 'guarding' a long stretch of coastline was part of the argument questioning this whole war on terror / homeland security. that is, budget cuts which leave part-time patrolmen guarding a huge section of the 'homeland', and yet billions spent on a war which was inadequately justified and poorly executed.

it's not perfect. rather than looking at the minute detail, the bigger picture -- ties to saudi arabia, haliburton, george hw and the rest of the reagan cronies still playing some part be it 'business', 'state' or a combination of the two in current affairs -- is what struck me.

despite accolades, moore is not a documentarian. he's providing political criticism. i say, bring it on...!

Billie Bob
08-10-2004, 21:08
a few days back on russian tv, they stated, what if the US elections would adopt the russian voting option:

NONE OF THE ABOVE, as an option for US presidential elections...

what would be the reaction?

Free Man
14-10-2004, 23:23
Perfect! I follow your trail of thoughts. Both are assholes, it really doesn't matter who wins anymore.

get patrick Buchanan back on the hike!

lucytupper
14-10-2004, 23:30
Punters on Betfair in UK have Republicans as 1.7 favourites over Democrats at 2.36.

So far, 1.7 million has been bet on the outcome!

Personally, I wouldn't bet on either. They are both LOSERS!

Free Man
14-10-2004, 23:43
Hey Lucy...

I tell ya, we have both loosers! they don;t have their own stand, they are both US twits! US politics is not the same anymore!

they have to kiss a$$ nowadays...

we need some one like zhirinovsky who huffs and puffs sends evryone to hell!

am4rw
15-10-2004, 02:49
I can tell you who the losers will be. Everyone else.

koba65
01-11-2004, 23:50
Originally posted by Maine Surfer
I'm expecting the worst. Makes me scared to think of another 4 years. Then it'll be Jebb, then 12 years down the down their Spanish-speaking nephew, whatever his name is :( :mad: This sucks. The Bush dynasty, emperor George W.

Scariest part is most people I know in the States will vote for Dubya. I don't understand why. After all lies and horrible things he's done...... It seems like people have closed their eyes and don't want to open them. It's cozy and comfy to live with closed eyes, why bother opening them. That sunlight is a dangerous thing, might hurt them.

It would have been better had Jebb been elected instead of W. Having said that, you're being all doom and gloom for nothing. It's really the Congress that passes the legislation that personally affects you. The guys in Congress are the ones who should scare you.