PDA

View Full Version : Americans married to Russians

debeaty
02-10-2004, 17:27
I am an American woman engaged to be married to a Russian man very soon - sometime in Dec. We will stay in Russia and live in Moscow. I'm very interested in talking with other cross-cultural couples living in Moscow. Does anyone know of a meeting or club of such folks?
Thanks!:)

Fa-Q!
04-10-2004, 10:02
They're so abundant that in any group of friends, the majority will be cross-cultural, not much need for clubs.

Maine Surfer
04-10-2004, 10:08
Originally posted by debeaty
I am an American woman engaged to be married to a Russian man very soon - sometime in Dec. We will stay in Russia and live in Moscow. I'm very interested in talking with other cross-cultural couples living in Moscow. Does anyone know of a meeting or club of such folks?
Thanks!:)

With all my respect, most people don't have time for a club like this. I second Fa-Q; most people on expat.ru are or were engaged in some kind of cross cultural relationships.

Why don't you just show up on Fri and meet everybody?

Off topic: lucky you :D

debeaty
04-10-2004, 14:53
What do you mean "show up on Fri and meet everyone?"
Thanks for your replies! :)

Olim
04-10-2004, 15:16
Good luck marrying a Russian man!

Maine Surfer
04-10-2004, 15:43
There will be a big expat.ru party this coming Fri, you can meet most people and cross cultured couples there. Look through moscowmail threads

Olim: what's wrong with marrying a Russian man?

polly
04-10-2004, 16:06
yeah, olim, what? ;)

debeaty
04-10-2004, 16:31
Yes, I'm interested, too - What's the problem w/marrying a Russian man? Why do you say, "Good Luck?"

Thanks for the info about the party!

Maine Surfer
04-10-2004, 17:42
Russian men are great! Highly recommend marrying one. Good choice Polly :) debeaty trust me, just ask California Angel or many expat girls married to Russian men. As a matter of fact, Russian men are Russia's best well kept secret. Yeah, really.

Just to name a few of their advantages of Russian men:

-They are very handsome;
-They are very intelligent;
-They never bitch and complain;
-They cook;
-They clean;
-They stay home with children;
-They never swear;
-They always take care of themselves;
-They don't smoke;
-They are always in good mood;
-They don't care about sports at all;
-They've never heard of Play Station;
-They always stay home when facing a choice of going to see a soccer game or spending quality time;
-They are very nice and gentle;
-They are very kind hearted;
-They love their mothers-in-law;

And last but not least:

-They don't ever drink, beer or vodka or whatever!

:) :D ;) :cool: :agree: :p

Maine Surfer
04-10-2004, 17:42
Oh man, you Russian girls are so lucky to have men like that!

Olim
05-10-2004, 09:54
Thought that might open a can of worms.....

I know it's a generalisation and that there are exceptions but the Russian man you marry when he is in his 20's, 30's- try to imagine him 20 years down the line- is it a pleasant picture? The first few years will soon give way to "where's my dinner?", you'll see....

allice
05-10-2004, 09:58
Originally posted by Olim
Thought that might open a can of worms.....

I know it's a sweeping generalisation and that there are many exceptions but the Russian man you marry when he is in his 20's, 30's- try to imagine him 20 years down the line- is it a pleasant picture?

How would one be different from a man of any other nationality?

Olim
05-10-2004, 10:00
You may have a point there, allice. Though if I were a bird, I would rather chance my arm with a non-Russian man.....

Maine Surfer
05-10-2004, 10:05
You may have a point there, allice. Though if I were a bird, I would rather chance my arm with a non-Russian man.....

Olim, thry comparing any Russian man with any Muslim in "where's my dinner category "

allice
05-10-2004, 10:07

Why? Do you realize that for most women who choose to follow this path this means moving abroad? Which in turn means adapting to living by a whole new set of rules imposed by a society different from the one the woman comes from? Leaving one's family and one's friends behind?

Olim
05-10-2004, 10:08
Ooh! Cutting!

Any Muslim? tell you what- compare him with me. He doesn't have a chance....

Olim
05-10-2004, 10:10
Originally posted by allice
Why? Do you realize that for most women who choose to follow this path this means moving abroad? Which in turn means adapting to living by a whole new set of rules imposed by a society different from the one the woman comes from? Living one's family and one's friends behind?

What- like most of us on expat.ru have done? What is your point?

Pussy Cat
05-10-2004, 10:18
Originally posted by Maine Surfer
Just to name a few of their advantages of Russian men:

-They are very handsome;
-They are very intelligent;
-They never bitch and complain;
-They cook;
-They clean;
-They stay home with children;
-They never swear;
-They always take care of themselves;
-They don't smoke;
-They are always in good mood;
-They don't care about sports at all;
-They've never heard of Play Station;
-They always stay home when facing a choice of going to see a soccer game or spending quality time;
-They are very nice and gentle;
-They are very kind hearted;
-They love their mothers-in-law;

And last but not least:

-They don't ever drink, beer or vodka or whatever!

:) :D ;) :cool: :agree: :p [/B]

Hmmmm... From my experience this description better matches American and even European guys...:D:p

Sidney Bliss
05-10-2004, 10:19

So you married a Russian woman in the country of your birth and followed her here? Otherwise what is your point?

allice
05-10-2004, 10:21

I think point is pretty evident. Most women who choose to marry foreighers move abroad. Thus sacrificing a lot.

allice
05-10-2004, 10:22
Originally posted by Pussy Cat
Hmmmm... From my experience this description better matches American and even European guys...:D:p

I have one word. Mormons. :D

Olim
05-10-2004, 10:27
No, all I am saying is most of us on expat.ru live in a country which is not the one of our birth and for most of us it's a choice to do so. That's all. I am not married and didn't come here to be with a Russian woman, I have other reasons but they too involved leaving behind my friends and family, adapting to a new way of life etc. I don't think it's THAT big a sacrifice.

Anyway, i would say there were more Russian spouses who live abraod with their foreign partners than the other way round.

allice
05-10-2004, 10:30
I will not go through the trouble of explaining the difference. Maybe somebody else will care to.

Olim
05-10-2004, 10:34
How do these foreign women meet the Russian men? Correct me if I am wrong, but the vast majority of them are already living in Russia (albeit temporarily, perhaps) so they already have some kind of interest and affection for Russia so them moving permanantly to Russia is more than likely not as big a step as it may seem.

Anyway, I think at the end of the day all relationships are different and no one outside that relationship can say what's really going on.

Good luck to everyone in a multi-racial/ multi- nationality relationship as it can be very hard work, and I think that's particularly so in Russia.

Maine Surfer
05-10-2004, 10:39
How do these foreign women meet the Russian men? Correct me if I am wrong, but the vast majority of them are already living in Russia (albeit temporarily, perhaps) so they already have some kind of interest and affection for Russia so them moving permanantly to Russia is more than likely not as big a step as it may seem
I'm correcting you. You are wrong. At least in my case :D :cool: :agree: :)

Maine Surfer
05-10-2004, 10:42
I have one word. Mormons. :D
Mormons? Or morons? Russian men drink coffee occasionally, mormons don't :D

Maine Surfer
05-10-2004, 10:45
Anyway, I think at the end of the day all relationships are different and no one outside that relationship can say what's really going on.

Good luck to everyone in a multi-racial/ multi- nationality relationship as it can be very hard work, and I think that's particularly so in Russia.

Agree here. All relationships are unique. Yes, it can be very hard work, but it doesn't depend on what country you are in. I think our relationship is better here in Russia.

Maine Surfer
05-10-2004, 10:47
I think point is pretty evident. Most women who choose to marry foreighers move abroad. Thus sacrificing a lot.

Moving abroad is scrificing a lot, but also gainig tons. Best thing ever happend to me (after my wife and our baby) is moving abroad. You can always come back :cool:

november
08-10-2004, 15:40
Best man to marry is jewish. They are very loving, tender and family-oriented. Plus very respectful towards women. Hard working, too. And if they are religiouse that is excellent (not too religious though)!!

november
08-10-2004, 15:41
Plus it's not like moving for them! They are everywhere anyway and have relatives in all the countries of the world.

MDW
08-10-2004, 17:42
Ooh! Cutting!

Any Muslim? tell you what- compare him with me. He doesn't have a chance....

Yeah, right! I know one of your donkey @@@ing breed who used to beat his wife when she was pregnant.

kak
08-10-2004, 17:53
one of the stupidest thread i have read here..."Russian men are bad" ...."best guys to marry are the jewish ones"
pffffffff.......... stop putting men/women from the same religion/ skin color/nationality /whatever in the same basket! Do i have to remember you that everyone is different ???

Olim
08-10-2004, 18:13
WMD- such a wonderfully argued point.

I worked as a doctor in a hospital in Cambridge for four years- if you think your so-called civilized Western husbands DON"T beat their wives, you should have seen what I saw.

november
08-10-2004, 18:58
aren't you guys going to the boozer thing?

MDW
08-10-2004, 19:00
I agree with mon mec Kakrout.

There are awful Russian husbands and even more awful Western (needless to say Muslim) husbands. There are ugly and useless Russian wives and even uglier and more useless Western (Muslim not even to be mentioned) wives. There are great Russian husbands and wives and wonderful Western husbands and wives.

It's all in your hands and what you find and what you choose.

M-C
08-10-2004, 19:24
Yeah, right! I know one of your donkey @@@ing breed who used to beat his wife when she was pregnant.

MDW, I find the terms offensive....
No woman, pregnant or not, needs to find a muslim to get beaten up, ANY nationality or race will do it, fortunately not every man of ANY race will. No doubt you know this already?