PDA

View Full Version : English Teachers demand....stabalised?

rumple_stilskin
21-03-2009, 11:12
Hi, wondering what you guys think about the effect so far of the financial crisis. Until now its difficult to comment, because there was the natural lull before x-mas, x-mas shutdown and so now i am guessing the price demand is at the end game...whatever adjustment that was going to occurr, if there was one, has now completed.

So a comparison of the now, the new reality, that i am guessing will not change much compared to six months ago.

Have prices dropped?
less teachers, more teachers?
hours dropped....

what do you think

rumple_stilskin
23-03-2009, 19:14
nobody have an opinion?

mountaineer
01-04-2009, 21:04
Well it seems to me that things stink, big time.

I also think the decline is just getting started, rather than having stabilized. It takes a while for this sort of thing to ripple through. People who have started courses in September will generally stick through - but after year end? Who knows.

opag78
02-04-2009, 09:58
yes, I agree the big crash is still to come. Currently we have a small boom as many people who got laid off now take courses in order not to waste their time. (but this small boom get directly countered by the fact that the companies are shutting down their corporate language teaching programs). However with the deepening of the crisis even this small counterboom will end as these people stay out of jobs and will have to cut ALL unnessary expenses rather sooner than later.

kazachka
03-04-2009, 21:09
Hours at work are a joke. I quickly figured out that was a lost cause and filled my openings privately with students who wanted to start lessons NOW. Had I waited for more hours at work...well sh!t, I'd still be waiting.

Bels
03-04-2009, 22:54
Weldone to you Kazacka, that's the way to go. Also I don't like the contracts of many schools. You for example could be giving lessons on the account of the presence of students. If the students don't present themselves on the contract you lose out. Sorry, but you might as well cut out the middleman, in otherwords the schools and the agents. Let's make our own website and forum.

Look at these schools and agents here, all they are doing is creating a database on us teachers, and then finding customers. Many of those people creating these databases have no knowledge of English teaching or business, they are simply trying to gain income from English teachers from what they know nothing about. Look at for example recent vacancies offered in expat vacancies, aren't they a joke. My Russian wife noticed three of them immediately. I won't mention the names as you will discover yourselves. We are not stupid, are we?

Let's do it on our own and cut out the the unknowledgable middleman. Let's create our own website and forum, and we can start from the freebies, we can progress with our own addressed website and forum later.

Who's in! There are few few of us left in Rusia who are residential long term quality long term teachers in Russia. Let's do it. Who's in?

kazachka
03-04-2009, 23:06
After the Crisis hit, there was much less work at'work' so, I just took more privates. I had to survive somehow. It was quiet until after the new yr though. I'd really like to get back into a day/eve governess job like I used to have. The problem is that although I've had offers, they are all live-in and want weekends. There is no way in hell I'm doing live-in for the sake of my sanity.

Bels
04-04-2009, 00:01
After the Crisis hit, there was much less work at'work' so, I just took more privates. I had to survive somehow. It was quiet until after the new yr though. I'd really like to get back into a day/eve governess job like I used to have. The problem is that although I've had offers, they are all live-in and want weekends. There is no way in hell I'm doing live-in for the sake of my sanity.

Time to get together with our own websit with forum for the Moscow site. Let see if it works and we will set our own terms. Yes! I receive many offers in the Rublievskie shosse area of which I refuse, such as what you have mentioned, but some of have come to my terms. After all I am a family man with my own children, and I cannot run around for one families' whims , when I have a family of my own and other students to teach.

No! as we say, control your business , and don't let others try to control you. Yes there are rich families who will offer to pay you well. But do you trust one! It's better to have many eggs in your basket rather than one. I have discussed this subject many time. The conclusion is most definately that you don't pat all your eggs in one basket. Believe me, that is good business sense in all businesses. Never be controlled by one rich person. NEVER! NEVER! NEVER!

Bels
04-04-2009, 01:00
Ok! a new thread coming up. I hope all current resident teachers will watch out for it. I am partucularily interested in those who have been teaching English in Russia over the past few years in Russia and who are likely to teach here for many years to come. I don't doubt that their is a crisis to come in the future, but yet I have a feeling we few might do OK. Lt's start competing on our own! And no middlemen ignorant mddlemen trying to profit from us.

I'm going to tell you a true story. My Russian wife is a highly qualified English teacher and translator, she is bi-lingual. She studied and got a linguist degree from Moriz torrez Moscow University for English teaching and translation. But not only that, as ever since that her professions have been communicating with Native English speaking clients, including British Council, British Embassy, British hotels and partner british travel agencies. She knows everything about visas and immigration from both the Russian, British, and Frnch countries.

SO! after she had born our of child of three years old , like many women she wanted to contribute to our family income, not my idea, but there you go, you can't stop an independant woman.

She saw an advert offering a teachers job EFL in Adentsova. She went for the interview , which was inside a state school. She had an interview with several people which was fine. In the interview one of them stated that she would have a test of English, and she sated let us get us get us get us get down to it then, let me be interviewed in English. Come on ! Let's talk. They stated that they couldn't . But they had a test paper. Then who can check the test paper? There was a teacher nearby who was a teacher teaching at the time, but apparently she was too terrified to come over and speak to my wife due to her command of English.

So she asked who the director was, and somebody said he was but he couldn't speak English; So who can speak English? Who can interview me, and how can you test me if none of you are good at English? And what about the jobs for teahing, as I can't see much activity here. We hope to have more wore soon. So you are interviewing me on a hope of you finding work?

The issue here is that somehow we have Russian morons around who want to make business out of good professional native English speakiing teachers here, and somehow those morons manage to legally rent classrooms in schools when they have no knowledge whatsoever about teaching English, yet somehow manage to break through the redtape! It's disgusting. I went through the same redtape and when I tried I was stalled on many occasions and failed. I ended up by some education authoroty asking for a search with the KGB, when they had already signed by the request from the FSB who said I was legitamite.

Has anybody else been through the situation where idiots are asking to employ you, and constantly waste your time. Who else thinks its time to do it on your own and cut out stupid middlemen trying to profit from you. After all it's good native speaking teachers they are looking for. None of the other garbage. Don't be used. We can soon assist together if you need a room to teach groups. So let's get together and stop beingmessed around.

Bels
04-04-2009, 01:12
Ok! a new thread coming up. I hope all current resident teachers will watch out for it. I am partucularily interested in those who have been teaching English in Russia over the past few years in Russia and who are likely to teach here for many years to come. I don't doubt that their is a crisis to come in the future, but yet I have a feeling we few might do OK. Lt's start competing on our own! And no middlemen ignorant mddlemen trying to profit from us.

I'm going to tell you a true story. My Russian wife is a highly qualified English teacher and translator, she is bi-lingual. She studied and got a linguist degree from Moriz torrez Moscow University for English teaching and translation. But not only that, as ever since that her professions have been communicating with Native English speaking clients, including British Council, British Embassy, British hotels and partner british travel agencies. She knows everything about visas and immigration from both the Russian, British, and Frnch countries.

SO! after she had born our of child of three years old , like many women she wanted to contribute to our family income, not my idea, but there you go, you can't stop an independant woman.

She saw an advert offering a teachers job EFL in Adentsova. She went for the interview , which was inside a state school. She had an interview with several people which was fine. In the interview one of them stated that she would have a test of English, and she sated let us get us get us get us get down to it then, let me be interviewed in English. Come on ! Let's talk. They stated that they couldn't . But they had a test paper. Then who can check the test paper? There was a teacher nearby who was a teacher teaching at the time, but apparently she was too terrified to come over and speak to my wife due to her command of English.

So she asked who the director was, and somebody said he was but he couldn't speak English; So who can speak English? Who can interview me, and how can you test me if none of you are good at English? And what about the jobs for teahing, as I can't see much activity here. We hope to have more wore soon. So you are interviewing me on a hope of you finding work?

The issue here is that somehow we have Russian morons around who want to make business out of good professional native English speakiing teachers here, and somehow those morons manage to legally rent classrooms in schools when they have no knowledge whatsoever about teaching English, yet somehow manage to break through the redtape! It's disgusting. I went through the same redtape and when I tried I was stalled on many occasions and failed. I ended up by some education authoroty asking for a search with the KGB, when they had already signed by the request from the FSB who said I was legitamite.

Has anybody else been through the situation where idiots are asking to employ you, and constantly waste your time. Who else thinks its time to do it on your own and cut out stupid middlemen trying to profit from you. After all it's good native speaking teachers they are looking for. None of the other garbage. Don't be used. We can soon assist together if you need a room to teach groups. So let's get together and stop beingmessed around.

Jack17
04-04-2009, 07:56

Interesting. You could do a co-op of teachers; but if you're renting classroom space, then your into a business situation with all of the licensing problems, etc.

Bels
04-04-2009, 15:59
Interesting. You could do a co-op of teachers; but if you're renting classroom space, then your into a business situation with all of the licensing problems, etc.

I already do it. I did have have a classroom within a state school but due to redtape problems I had to give up the classroom and now rent a separate flat for 25,000 r per month, of which I find overpriced, but it was the best deal I could find.

There are no licensing problems providing you register yourself as an entrepeneur and as a self employed teacher rather than a school. Of course you do have to license as a school if you desire to employ English native speaking teachers. As you won't be able to provide them with the invitation to work for you.

If anybody knows how to rent a classroom for much less than 25000p a month , please let me know. As it does take away a big chunk of my income.

Swordfish90293
04-04-2009, 16:19
Gypsy network of English teachers who can spell stabilized and write without being redundant.

Bels
04-04-2009, 16:32
Gypsy network of English teachers who can spell stabilized and write without being redundant.

Is it stabilised or is it stabilized? Now that is the question :)