PDA

View Full Version : Advice please on russian wedding

darrel68
17-03-2009, 15:42
I live in England and what to marry a Russian girl in belgorod and then to live in Russia. What is the procedure for marrying a person in Russia ?, would it be better to marry first then apply for residence or vise versa ?, Instead of having the documents done in England which is expensive, is it possible for me to arrive in Russia then have the documents done there by a Russian lawyer ?.

Qdos
17-03-2009, 15:46
Search on this forum for information already provided, and take a look at the British Consulate web site, or the site of visa/marriage processing agencies such as RealRussia in London (who are pretty good)... :cool:

IGIT
18-03-2009, 12:33
You can do everything in russia but anyone will tell you that it may take some time though its not very expensive. Its something you can do either yourself or your wife to be.

Your place of wedding does not really matter expect that the russian officers are more used to their russian documents as opposed to english docs which will definitely need translation among other stuff.

If you do it in the UK, then it must be duly stamped by the uk foreign office (or something like that) and legalized by the russian embassy in the uk before coming to russia.

But all in all, be certain that there are no mistakes on your marriage certificate and all other documents. Names most especially including the way that is written (position wise, first name, last name etc)

To live in russia, you mean permanently? If so, you will need to get a PSP (Permanent stay permit) which sometimes takes 6 months to process but you must first of all get a TSP (temporary stay permit valid for 3 yrs) and stay in the country for a year (traveling outside the country is permitted but not longer than 3 months I think..cant say exactly).

After securing a TSP (which also sometimes takes 6 months to process), stay in the country for a year, then you can apply for a PSP, which is valid and extendable every 5 years.

The fees are low but can be stressful sometimes. But again, you mentioned belgorod, that should be less complicated as compared to moscow, which is a bigger city.

Hope this helps.

Qdos
18-03-2009, 14:06
If you do it in the UK, then it must be duly stamped by the uk foreign office (or something like that) and legalized by the russian embassy in the uk before coming to russia.

That's not quite right. The relevent UK documents (normally a certificate of no impediment to marraige, and divorce decree or former sposes death certificate if you were previously married/divorced/widowed) need to be apostilled by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office in Milton Keynes.

You then require notarized translations of those documents, and your passport as well, into Russian - which is cheaper if done in Moscow than the UK.

You will also need visa registration in the city of marriage, as Zags will check this, plus a handwritten notice of intention to marry, duly translated and notarised of course.

Then there are the Zags forms too of course, and a small fee to be paid for the marriage authorisation and so forth.

IGIT
18-03-2009, 14:15
That's not quite right. The relevent UK documents (normally a certificate of no impediment to marraige, and divorce decree or former sposes death certificate if you were previously married/divorced/widowed) need to be apostilled by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office in Milton Keynes.

so what is not quite right in what I said earlier? Is this not a repitition of what I said? either way the docs needs to be signed,stamped or apostilled by a uk foreign office or whatever it is called.

Qdos
18-03-2009, 14:23
If you can't read or understand the difference between your own post and the information I corrected then get yourself a dictionary and read it from cover to cover... I'm sure your advice was supposed to be well intended, but it was inaccurate in the section I highlighted.

I suspect some of the remainder of what you've said is also inaccurate, but it doesn't affect the OP's question and therefore I let it lie... :D