PDA

View Full Version : I miss...

Dr. Bukakke
30-09-2004, 09:35
Having a "Real" New York slice of pizza and being able to fold it in half before eating it and not with a friggin fork and knife!

There are some things you can't enjoy in Moscow.

Sidney Bliss
30-09-2004, 10:26
And I miss calling people who post inane guff like this a dog's marble sac!

MR FACADE
30-09-2004, 10:29
Originally posted by Dr. Bukakke
Having a "Real" New York slice of pizza and being able to fold it in half before eating it and not with a friggin fork and knife!

There are some things you can't enjoy in Moscow.

I miss...... wearing my sister's g-string while letting the family dog lick my nut sack.............. Some things you just can't enjoy in Moscow.

clemens_cis
30-09-2004, 10:55
Originally posted by MR FACADE
I miss...... wearing my sister's g-string while letting the family dog lick my nut sack.............. Some things you just can't enjoy in Moscow.

..... call me simple minded.... but reading this i was lmao!! :D :D

sfjohns67
30-09-2004, 10:58
Originally posted by MR FACADE
I miss...... wearing my sister's g-string while letting the family dog lick my nut sack.............. Some things you just can't enjoy in Moscow. Sure you can, it's just that in Moscow you have to be much more careful about rabies and mange.

allice
30-09-2004, 11:00
Originally posted by clemens_cis
..... call me simple minded.... but reading this i was lmao!! :D :D

But you are simple minded!!!! :p

I must add I see nothing wrong with that.

MR FACADE
30-09-2004, 11:10
Originally posted by sfjohns67
Sure you can, it's just that in Moscow you have to be much more careful about rabies and mange.

wern't they a Vaudaville comedy act?.... like Arse and Hole and Bell and End?

Fa-Q!
30-09-2004, 11:47
I miss waking up with the Fla sun in my eyes, picking up my still drunken head, stumbling out on the beach with a doobie, a Budweiser tall boy and a swim in the Gulf of Mexico for breakfast.
That's what I ******* miss...

Swordello
30-09-2004, 13:21
I miss:

--American clothes dryers!! And the little sheet things that you put in so your clothes come out soft
--Jif extra crunchy peanut butter (there simply is no competitor)
--Cranberry Almond crunch cereal (they sell it at Stockmann for frigging $11 a box--in the States it was $2.50 on sale)
--fresh French Roast beans
--fresh shrimp, scallops and calamari for less than $1,000,000/kg
--Louis Rich turkey cold cuts (I'm sick of pork, ham and other pig stuff)
--cole slaw
--normal manila folders for documents
--decent staplers
--my old car :(

Among other things...

Fa-Q!
30-09-2004, 13:45
I miss chili dogs with mustard and onions.

85StonePolarBear
30-09-2004, 13:47
The only thing I miss? Lysol or Dettol spray - try keeping cats without spray disinfectant around the house. Even the surgical supply houses that I've checked in town don't seem to sell it.

sfjohns67
30-09-2004, 13:49
My parents.

CTAC-BOPOH
30-09-2004, 13:57
BUT...DOES he miss MacDonald's little plastic stirrers back in the days when they had little spoon ends instrad of square stumps for stirring coffee?

SOLUTION: Live internationally a few years. The old culture will wear off. HEpPEMEHHO.

am4rw
30-09-2004, 20:04
Originally posted by Swordello
I miss:

--cole slaw

You can't find cabbage and mayonaise in Moscow?!?!?:confused: :eek:

DPG
30-09-2004, 20:21
Originally posted by am4rw
You can't find cabbage and mayonaise in Moscow?!?!?

More a case here of not being able to find the cabbage IN your mayonaise!!

preacher of hedonism
30-09-2004, 20:50

There are some things you can't enjoy in Moscow. is that what you call pizza in America?

Dr. Bukakke
01-10-2004, 08:22
It's a New York pizza... Same goes for Jamaican beef patties... Fiending for one of those too.

Big Bugga
01-10-2004, 10:37
Originally posted by sfjohns67
Sure you can, it's just that in Moscow you have to be much more careful about rabies and mange.

His sister has rabies and mange!?

Good lord, she realy should have that looked at.

Bugga'

Shatneresque
01-10-2004, 11:57
Originally posted by preacher of hedonism
is that what you call pizza in America?

Got news for you: that's how they eat thin-crust pizza in Italy, too....

preacher of hedonism
03-10-2004, 21:19
Originally posted by Shatneresque
Got news for you: that's how they eat thin-crust pizza in Italy, too.... Who they? Algerian immigrants?

Canadian1979
04-10-2004, 04:03
GET OVER IT ! FIND SOMETHING NEW TO CRAVE. PELMENI IS A GOOD PLACE TO START.

Canadian1979
04-10-2004, 04:07
Originally posted by Shatneresque
Got news for you: that's how they eat thin-crust pizza in Italy, too....

Real Italian pizza is kinda crappy. I had one in Verona once (reputed as birth place of pizza). It's so thin... crust in middle gets all soggy. The only topings were sauce (red), mozzeralla (white), oregano (green). From what I read it was created as a tribute to some queen as a dish showing the national colours of Italy.

sevan
04-10-2004, 08:04
...and I bet you got it at the pizza shop with the sign that read "real Italian pizza."

ghurka12
04-10-2004, 12:35
I miss marmite, good marmalade, Branston Pickle, decent Cheddar cheese, decent sausages & bacon as well as black pudding..................also a bloody good indian, which despite having sampled most of the restaurants in Moscow is nothing like the same quality as those in the UK.........Vindaloo washed down with copious amounts of lager!!!!!! Also a good chinese take away!

First priorities when I go back to the UK is an Indian, English Breakfast in a greasy spoon and a good Chinese!

DPG
04-10-2004, 12:40
Ghurka:

Try www.sausage.ru for your bangers, they've just started up and I' and a few others have tried them and they are really good!

The rest of it, Bacon, Marmite, Pickle, Cheese etc I bring back with me from the UK...

I'm on holiday in London now - had the fry up, curry tonight, Chinese tomorrow, Kebab the day after!! Sorry for tickling your tastebuds!

kak
04-10-2004, 12:52
Originally posted by DPG
Ghurka:

Try www.sausage.ru for your bangers, they've just started up and I' and a few others have tried them and they are really good!

The rest of it, Bacon, Marmite, Pickle, Cheese etc I bring back with me from the UK...

I'm on holiday in London now - had the fry up, curry tonight, Chinese tomorrow, Kebab the day after!! Sorry for tickling your tastebuds!

How can people come with the idea of such a website? ;) www.sausage.ru? ;)

DPG, you are a little liar..there no "Cheese" in UK :D

DPG
04-10-2004, 12:59
LOL!

We have lots of cheese - you simply have fromage!!

Saying that, the first cheese I had when I got back was Chevre!!:agree:

kak
04-10-2004, 13:07
DPG, my girlfriend came back form Roma two days ago...Prosciutto di Parma, cheese, wine...etc ;) but Chevre is still nice :agree: (btw it's better to have it hot on some bread with some olive oil...but i'm sure you know that ;)

Maine Surfer
04-10-2004, 14:01
Originally posted by ghurka12
I miss marmite, good marmalade, Branston Pickle, decent Cheddar cheese, decent sausages & bacon as well as black pudding..................also a bloody good indian, which despite having sampled most of the restaurants in Moscow is nothing like the same quality as those in the UK.........Vindaloo washed down with copious amounts of lager!!!!!! Also a good chinese take away!

First priorities when I go back to the UK is an Indian, English Breakfast in a greasy spoon and a good Chinese!

There is an Indian restaraunt on ulits Mikluho-Maklaya near M Belyaevo, not too far from the international students dorm. It beats any Indian place I've been to back in the States. Check it out, you might have one less thing to miss :)

Blaked
04-10-2004, 19:08
Hmmm... I miss -

Free refills
24/7 service with a smile
the fast food 'cities' at interstate exits
cable modems
coffee shops full of artsy kids with wi-fi
front porches
Hot apple cider spiked with apple brandy
all you can eat indian buffet for 7.99

Hmmm -- I guess I could just go to starlite but they're so overpriced - why doesn't Denny's open a branch here? I could go for some moon over my hammy.

Does that Indian place have cheap all you can eat buffet lunches?

Canadian1979
04-10-2004, 20:43
Originally posted by sevan
...and I bet you got it at the pizza shop with the sign that read "real Italian pizza."

No, actually it was at quite a pricy cafe overlooking the Verona forum in the old town. Found the place by accident and the pizza on the menu was described as "pizaa italiano" and the story I wrote above was printed beside. Definately wasn't a tourist trap.

Dr. Bukakke
04-10-2004, 21:46
Hey fag boy!

If it's written on the menu... IT IS A TOURIST TRAP!

sevan
04-10-2004, 22:00
doh!

Canadian1979
05-10-2004, 04:05
Hey fag boy!

If it's written on the menu... IT IS A TOURIST TRAP!

Wow, you sure are LOW CLASS :agree:

Braders
05-10-2004, 05:35

Good God... I see intelligence instead of an ego.

ghurka12
05-10-2004, 10:21
Dear DPG...........You absolute swine!!!!.......I am green with envy.......another three weeks before I can taste the delights of Indian, Chinese and British cooking at it's best..........

Dear Maine Surfer

Thanks for the heads up, although to be honest despite a huge variety or food in the US, I never did have a decent Indian or Chinese.....There was never a China town or a little bangladesh where I stayed, so perhaps that's it! I always found that the Indian and Chinese food was "watered" down and a little bland! I do known that when we entertained our American cousins in the UK, they were often blown away by the mildest of curries.... Still a great place to settle down and get corpulent in one's old age!

Dear Kakrout

Quelle Domage that yet again that nasty little "European" prejudice raises it's ugly head! I bet you have never known the delights of good British cuisine which believe it or not is not a myth but really exists.

As a reasonably good amateur chef, who has worked with some great pros, there is great British cuisine but you have to look for it! What is more English foodstuffs are excellent including some amazing cheeses such as Wensleydale, Caerphilly, Red Leicester, a really good Mature Cheddar and of course the king of "mouldy" cheese....STILTON!!!! Even the French like that!!!

But still perhaps one day you will be priveleged enough to enjoy the delights!!!!!!! Sad really that you have missed so much..............

Moscow Wolf
05-10-2004, 10:32
Food is greatly overrated, I miss the toilet bowl and I miss appointments except when they're with Mr. Glenfiddich and Mr Bushmills.

sfjohns67
05-10-2004, 10:41
...the king of "mouldy" cheese....STILTON!!!! Even the French like that!!!
...and at least one American.

Maine Surfer
05-10-2004, 11:09

Dear Maine Surfer

Thanks for the heads up, although to be honest despite a huge variety or food in the US, I never did have a decent Indian or Chinese.....There was never a China town or a little bangladesh where I stayed, so perhaps that's it! I always found that the Indian and Chinese food was "watered" down and a little bland! I do known that when we entertained our American cousins in the UK, they were often blown away by the mildest of curries.... Still a great place to settle down and get corpulent in one's old age!

Dear ghurka12

Agree on Indian cuisine in the US but I haven't been to many places as I can't stand it.

Disagree on Chinese. In the US, Chinese places are plentiful and great. I frequented Chinatowns in New York and Boston and telling you there are tons of excellent Chinese restaurants. We even had a great one in Maine, middle of nowhere.

What does ghurka12 mean anyway?

plastique
05-10-2004, 12:28
Originally posted by Canadian1979
Real Italian pizza is kinda crappy. I had one in Verona once (reputed as birth place of pizza). It's so thin... crust in middle gets all soggy. The only topings were sauce (red), mozzeralla (white), oregano (green). From what I read it was created as a tribute to some queen as a dish showing the national colours of Italy.

dear lord, it's in honor of Queen Margherita which is why a slice of plain cheese around the world is called Margherita....learn somethin'
DO I HAVE TO COME OVER THERE AND CULTURE YOUR BACKWARD ASS...

plastique
05-10-2004, 12:30
ps i miss (among other things mentioned like FREE F****N refills the cheap bastards) REAL sour cream, and pre packaged pre shredded taco cheese (mmmm monterey jack and colby mmmmmm)...thank you

ghurka12
05-10-2004, 18:26
Dear Maine Surfer

I will investigate US Chinese cuisine when I next visit the US.....probably laziness on my part due to a couple of bad meals in the past and the temptation of all the other options available there!

My e-mail address is as a result of being an Army brat whose father was an officer in the Ghurka regiment. A bit of of wistful reminiscence............

Canadian1979
05-10-2004, 22:51
Originally posted by plastique
dear lord, it's in honor of Queen Margherita which is why a slice of plain cheese around the world is called Margherita....learn somethin'
DO I HAVE TO COME OVER THERE AND CULTURE YOUR BACKWARD ASS...

First of all, please spell properly. HONOUR .....No American bastardized English will be tolerated.

Next, you think you're cultured because you know the name of a Queen? HAHAHAH :rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Never heard of Bread-Cheese being called a Margherita, so it's not a worldwide thing.:rolleyes:

Kingwillhe
06-10-2004, 09:22
Having spent too much time in the Canadian "Great White North" and developing a real dependence on demand style heating regimes, and after having my heat turned on last night after spending the last couple of days periodically huddled over the stove, I can say with great certainty that I miss thermostatically controlled central heat!!!

I was running out of leaves to burn in the living room!!

Canadian1979
06-10-2004, 22:41
Originally posted by Kingwillhe
Having spent too much time in the Canadian "Great White North" and developing a real dependence on demand style heating regimes, and after having my heat turned on last night after spending the last couple of days periodically huddled over the stove, I can say with great certainty that I miss thermostatically controlled central heat!!!

I was running out of leaves to burn in the living room!!

You're African right? And you complain because you find Canada cold ? HAHAHAH there is something called evolutionary adaptation that makes certain peoples able to withstand cold better then others. Just as I would bake in Ghana or Nigeria, while you could run around shirtless for days.

Kingwillhe
07-10-2004, 00:58
You're African right? And you complain because you find Canada cold ? HAHAHAH there is something called evolutionary adaptation that makes certain peoples able to withstand cold better then others. Just as I would bake in Ghana or Nigeria, while you could run around shirtless for days.

My head is spinning...cuz I don't know where that came from.

I'm from Alberta (amongst other places), a cracker and skinner of black bears (not 85StonePolarBears!!)

Grande Prairie to be exact...roughly the same climate as Moscow. But I have been known to go slummin when the urge hits me!

Perhaps you cook your own crack (wasteful) or use rusty wire in your pipe?:eek:

Canadian1979
07-10-2004, 03:43
Originally posted by Kingwillhe
.....I'm from Alberta (amongst other places).....

Albertains aren't real Canadians. You rank just bellow Quebec on the "traitor scale". You guys are redneck nuts just like Americans.

Mother f*ckers actually want to split from Canada because you have oil wealth and don't want to share.......

Dr. Bukakke
07-10-2004, 07:57
Hey fag boy,

Keep up the good work! Soon your own countrymen will hate you too!

Shatneresque
07-10-2004, 11:50

Huh...! I had excellent thin-crust pizza in Venice, and at more than one restaurant.

The crust was always nice and crisp, the sauce had fresh basil in it, and the amount of cheese on top was always more than adequate.

Not as great a choice of toppings as in US pizzerias, but some were available, as were different kinds of cheese: my last night there, I had "Pizza Tyrolese," which featured finely sliced strips of veal laid on over melted gorgonzola...yummy!

The best THICK-crust (i.e., "Sicilian") pizza I ever had was in a little place in Brighton, England, overlooking the sea. Again, very simple (toppings were just mozzarella, anchovies, and black olives), but it was D*MNED good!!! (The owner and chef looked like they'd just gotten off the boat from Italy....)

tommo
07-10-2004, 16:23
I miss driving, real chip shop chips and welsh beer

plastique
08-10-2004, 10:52
Why is the f**K bothering us if he isn't even here???

I have more culture in my pinkie dickwad....how much is a Canadian dollar worth again mr america jr 1979?

Canadian1979
08-10-2004, 19:09
Originally posted by plastique

I have more culture in my pinkie dickwad....how much is a Canadian dollar worth again mr america jr 1979?

It's about 80 cents to the dollars these days. But only a few years ago it was 60 cents to the dollar. Shows you the real state of the American economy doesn't it?

....Good for private travellers (like me) but bad for Canadian businesses who export to the USA. Just another way for the yanks to steal profit....

Oh and if that's an attempt at a "diss"....I'll tell you what costs a dollar it the states doesn't cost a dollar here. Prices are all relative and wages are higher up here in Canadian dollars. :agree: Your point means nothing.

Filimon
08-10-2004, 20:06
It's about 80 cents to the dollars these days. But only a few years ago it was 60 cents to the dollar. Shows you the real state of the American economy doesn't it?

....Good for private travellers (like me) but bad for Canadian businesses who export to the USA. Just another way for the yanks to steal profit....

Oh and if that's an attempt at a "diss"....I'll tell you what costs a dollar it the states doesn't cost a dollar here. Prices are all relative and wages are higher up here in Canadian dollars. :agree: Your point means nothing.

Do you ever shut up?

Margherita is the name for the pizza base, that is pizza with just tomato sauce and mozarella. Even my late dog knew that!

And don't you go slagging off Alberta! Granted, it does not have sophistication of Vancouver, but it was most certainly fun whenI went there.

I miss... proper kefir, Russian cooked meats, would kill for proper tvorog (local cottage cheese is the most disgustuing thing I have ever tried) and cheap tube.

DPG, where the hell are you? How about that beer?

Jet
08-10-2004, 20:23
Fil, what about mors, kwas, serniki, varenniki, sushki, rastegay s reboy, glazirovaneye serki, holodets...???

Filimon
08-10-2004, 20:31
Originally posted by Jet
Fil, what about mors, kwas, serniki, varenniki, sushki, rastegay s reboy, glazirovaneye serki, holodets...???

You can buy all that stuff in Russian and Lithuanian foodshops here. Not kefir or tvorog though (although the latter may have started to appear recently). It's bleeding expensive though!

Jet
09-10-2004, 16:08
No way you can buy holodets or normal kwas or mors in the foodshops, these should be home made

zcyka
09-10-2004, 22:37
Albertains aren't real Canadians. You rank just bellow Quebec.... .....I'm pro-Canadian.

I'm sorry. I just can't stop laughing. Does anyone else enjoy this as much as I do?

On-topic content: huge bookstores.