PDA

View Full Version : Turkish bean and meat soup

Timothy
29-09-2004, 23:26
Now that it is starting to get cold I was thinking of having a go at cooking the superb Turkish bean and beef soup I have eaten in Turkey and Germany. Trouble is I cannot find the recipe. Anyone have any idea?

trebor
30-09-2004, 07:10
Go www.google.com turkish recipes.

Shatneresque
30-09-2004, 12:07
Originally posted by Timothy
Now that it is starting to get cold I was thinking of having a go at cooking the superb Turkish bean and beef soup I have eaten in Turkey and Germany. Trouble is I cannot find the recipe. Anyone have any idea?

Could this be something similar to spicy Cuban black bean soup, with beef instead of pork...?

85StonePolarBear
30-09-2004, 12:09
Actually, Ramstore sells mixes for all of the traditional Turkish soups. I know that isn't what you want, but perhaps if you look at the ingredients in the mix, you might find what it is that gives you the flavour you're looking for.

Idiot Amin
30-09-2004, 12:14
This is from a Turkish friend of mine - problem is that she could not seem to translate the Turkish ingredients:

"Fahise" (Turkish bean and meat soup)

1/2 kilo kocun tasaklar (Ramstore has this type of meat, but I too can't remember what it is in English)
2 litres camasir suyu (a type of broth, not sure at all what it is)
200 grams toz ruhu (a liquid spice)
3 heads garlic
250 grams or 1 can red kidney beans
2 large onions
2 teaspoons aci pul biber (that is red pepper flakes- should be at Ramstore)

Bring the liquids to a boil. Add chopped garlic, followed by onions, spices and meat. Simmer for 45 minutes and enjoy....

DPG
30-09-2004, 12:23
No time to find a decent online Turkish English dictionary, and tantamount to no desire to really know what those ingredients are - feeling ill enough as it is!

Over to you Boscoe...

85StonePolarBear
30-09-2004, 12:27
Hmmm...the only ingredient I recognise is the last one, and it is indeed some sort of hot pepper. aci = hot and biber = pepper. But judging by that guy's signature, I think he might have had raki for breakfast this morning ;) ;) ;)! Actually I know the guy quite well, and I know for a fact that he's just in a strange mood and acting like he had raki for breakfast this morning ;) ;) ;).

Shatneresque
30-09-2004, 12:48
Originally posted by TwoTonne Indignity
This is from a Turkish friend of mine - problem is that she could not seem to translate the Turkish ingredients:

"Fahise" (Turkish bean and meat soup)

1/2 kilo kocun tasaklar (Ramstore has this type of meat, but I too can't remember what it is in English)
2 litres camasir suyu (a type of broth, not sure at all what it is)
200 grams toz ruhu (a liquid spice)
3 heads garlic
250 grams or 1 can red kidney beans
2 large onions
2 teaspoons aci pul biber (that is red pepper flakes- should be at Ramstore)

Bring the liquids to a boil. Add chopped garlic, followed by onions, spices and meat. Simmer for 45 minutes and enjoy....

"Heads" of garlic or cloves/"teeth" of garlic?!

"Kocun tasaklar"---I'll take a stab at it---could this be "beef brisket?"

"Camasir suyu"---beef broth?

"Toz ruhu"---something like Tobasco sauce?

Sounds a lot like chili con carne to me....

85StonePolarBear
30-09-2004, 12:50
Koc = ram; the reason Ramstore is called Ramstore is that it is a part of a huge firm owned by the Koc family, whose surname means Ram. So, this is some cut of mutton.

Shatneresque
30-09-2004, 12:52
Originally posted by 85StonePolarBear
Koc = ram; the reason Ramstore is called Ramstore is that it is a part of a huge firm owned by the Koc family, whose surname means Ram. So, this is some cut of mutton.

Eminently logical!

85StonePolarBear
30-09-2004, 13:33
Just took a walk and came back with much improved amateur linguistic skills:

1) Camasir Suyu. Camasir Makinesi (yes, makinesi comes from machine and is a borrowed word) is some sort of domestic appliance; maybe a food processor. Suyu is the possessive or whatever grammatical form of su, meaning water. For instance, gullun suyu is rose water. So, this must be a very general, plain type of broth - perhaps the literal meaning is "kitchen water," or "cooking water."

2) Toz ruhu:

Toz is salt. Ruhu must be related linguistically to the Hebrew ruah, meaning spirit. Now, when I was in Casablanca I went shopping for exotic spices, and I saw bottles labeled esprit du sel - spirit of salt. It is a liquid; I could not take any back with me as it was not bottled well and may have spilled. So, it is some very intense salt solution with other spices, especially judging by what I remember of its colour.

Idiot Amin
01-10-2004, 00:50
For a guy who claims to be my other identity, you are one dumb animal - but of course ayi - bear - in Turkish slang means an idiot lunkhead like you!

First of all, the name of my soup is obscene! Will not translate as I'm not quite ready to relinquish this dear identity of mine.

Next - koc - yeah, that's a ram - and that meat tastes like bo**ocks because that is what it is - ram's bo**ocks!

Camasir makinesi is a WASHING machine, not a food processor, and that makes camasir suyu "laundry water" - or bleach

Toz ruhu? Very good linguistic analysis from a dumb ayi like you - but it's hydrochloric acid - and I've been to Casablanca and know exactly what esprit du sel is - same thing!!!

So, ayi, when are you going to try that recipe? ;) ;) ;)!