View Full Version : Boscoe!!!

Braders
29-09-2004, 01:20
Shepards Pie!!! (you know which one!)

pretty please.......

Braders
19-10-2004, 19:45
Bump!!!!!!!

Unbelievable, no more pints for you Robin!

kniga
19-10-2004, 23:32
Braders,

He doesn't answer his phones. I think the Cubans got him again...

Smurfette
20-10-2004, 01:26
my god do you not know how to cook anything?

kniga
20-10-2004, 09:04
Smurfette,

You miss the point. Braders is talking about Boscoe's Shephard's Pie. Had you been privileged to eat one of his creations you would understand we're talking culinary masterpieces here!

Braders
20-10-2004, 19:42
Originally posted by Smurfette
my god do you not know how to cook anything?

I can cook up a storm Smurfy Babe!

Do you want the ingredients?

boscoe
20-10-2004, 20:13
Boscoes Cottage Pie

Please note all measurements are approximate :)

2 large onions
100 grams Mushrooms
500 grams / 1 lb of beef mince
1 tablespoon of flour
1 tablespoon of tomato sauce (ketchup)
1 beef oxo (or magi)
1 tablespoon of Worcester sauce (Lee & Perins)
1 tablespoon mixed dried herbs (parsley, basil, marjoram, chives that sort of thing)
1 beef stock cube
4 large potatoes
butter
double cream (a good glug)
salt and pepper

Peel and chop the onion finely. Heat some oil in a large frypan or saucepan, add the onion and cook until the onion and after 2 mins the sliced mushrooms cook until the onion is clear or translucent then add flour and cook for a couple of minutes more. Take the onion/mushroom mixture out and put the minced beef in the pan and sauté using a wooden spoon break up the mince so it is nice and fine crumble over the beef stock cube. When the mince is browned strain off some of the fat that will be in the pan and add the tomato sauce, Worcester sauce, herbs and the onion/mushroom mix. Stir thoroughly to combine. If you like it with a lot of gravy you can add some water now, about 100ml will do – I don’t. Reduce the heat and cover, simmering for 10 to 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. The mixture should be quite thick.

Peel the potatoes, chop into quarters and place in a medium saucepan with cold water just covering the potatoes. Add a little salt to the water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. When the potatoes are cooked, drain and place back on the heat for a few seconds to let any extra water evaporate. Mash the potatoes with butter and cream until the potato is very creamy. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Preheat the oven to 200- 220°C. Spoon the mince mixture into a pie dish, then spoon the mashed potato over the mince making a lot of peaks (these will ‘catch’ and burn slightly) I also often fleck some butter on top of the potato. Bake until the potato is golden and the pie bubbling up around the edges.

Invite Boscoe around to test efforts

DPG
20-10-2004, 20:28
I was going to flame you then for saying that shepards' pie was made with beef, but I see you had that eventuality covered and, erm, catered for!!;-)

boscoe
21-10-2004, 00:41
It's the same recipe for shepard's pie but with minced lamb - but you knew that :)

Smurfette
21-10-2004, 01:09
Originally posted by Braders
I can cook up a storm Smurfy Babe!

Do you want the ingredients?

Ask me again sometime. ;)

DPG haven't forgotten about cheesecake, promise will look for receipe.

Sheepy
21-10-2004, 16:22
[QUOTE]Originally posted by boscoe
[B]

Please note all measurements are approximate :)

Would that be based on the same approximations as when pouring yourself a drink? ;) :D

boscoe
21-10-2004, 17:56
lol - It also has to be said I often chuck a glass of red wine into the beef mix :)

Halyavshik
21-10-2004, 18:32
Originally posted by boscoe
lol - It also has to be said I often chuck a glass of red wine into the beef mix :)

Sometimes he just forgoes the beef altogether and just serves up the wine !

Braders
21-10-2004, 22:35
boscoe you're a star, i'd attempt to make it today but as you know i'm rouggghhhh

sfjohns67
22-10-2004, 08:03
I bought all my ingredients yesterday evening and will give the recipe a run on Saturday. Thanks for chiming in about the wine, Boscoe, I had considered that myself but didn't want to piddle with the recipe. Exactly how much wine is appropriate? Like you, I don't want too much gravy.

boscoe
22-10-2004, 12:21
Originally posted by sfjohns67
I bought all my ingredients yesterday evening and will give the recipe a run on Saturday. Thanks for chiming in about the wine, Boscoe, I had considered that myself but didn't want to piddle with the recipe. Exactly how much wine is appropriate? Like you, I don't want too much gravy.

just a glass - but as everything it's kind of up to you, have a look at the mince mix and if it loooks like it will need a little more twards the end of cooking, chuck some in. However when the meat cooks in the oven it tends to release some more moisture (which will mix with the flour and create a thick gravy) so don't over do it..

PS - It's VERY important if adding wine that you have at least a glass yourself to make sure it's OK!

sfjohns67
22-10-2004, 12:29
No worries on the wine testing, I always buy enough for the dinner table plus one bottle for the cook. Sometimes it takes me a couple of bottles before I'm confident it's fit to dump in the recipe.

boscoe
22-10-2004, 12:34
Keith Floyd would be proud!

sparky
22-10-2004, 13:03
Yeah, Dark side of the Moon. Right on.....

DPG
22-10-2004, 13:13
LOL!!!!!!!!

boscoe
22-10-2004, 13:32
:)

stefania2003
23-10-2004, 13:45
But aren't you all spelling it wrong? It's 'Shepherd's' surely? No?
Or maybe 'Shepherds' !!!

Shatneresque
23-10-2004, 17:02
Originally posted by stefania2003
But aren't you all spelling it wrong? It's 'Shepherd's' surely? No?
Or maybe 'Shepherds' !!!

You're absolutely right, Stefania; I prefer the second version (possessive singular), myself.

Also: Try putting some grated sharp cheddar cheese in with the potatoes, and a finely chopped carrot in with the meat. Delicious!

You don't use any crust in your pie...? Simple to make: flour, butter, and salt.

JTK

DPG
23-10-2004, 17:09
Shatneresque

Shepard's pie or Shepards' pie is not really a pie in as much that, as you say above, it doesn't have any pastry underneath it...

And I agree, Cheddar with the mash is great...pity you can't get any good ones here in Moscow...only quite mild New Zealand ones - a far cry from the vintage Davidstow and Farmhouse cheddars I love when back in the UK.

Shatneresque
23-10-2004, 17:30
You can get some quite good, sharp cheddar at Ramstore and (usually) at Seventh Continent. They will cut you a chunk as big as you want (I usually ask for 300 g at a time).

Also: Perekrestok sometimes has packaged Danish cheddar (forget the brand name) that is white, sharp, and delicious.

Must admit, though: Best cheddar I've ever had was homemade, on a Scottish farm in the vicinity of Glasgow. Was served together with fresh, homemade, whole-grain bread.... Yum!

boscoe
23-10-2004, 22:42
There are a lot of variations for this dish – I posted how I made it for Braders…

Some ideas for variations are

Add to the potato;

Cheese (grated on top or mixed with the potato).
Tablespoon (or more) of Mustard .
2 teaspoons of grated nutmeg .
100g chopped leeks softened in butter.

Add to the beef;

Chopped carrots.
Finly chopped celery - this isn’t as bad as you’d think – if you finely chop them and add them to the mince when it goes in it ‘melts’ and even if celery isn’t your favourite veg (it’s not mine) it adds a nice flavour to the dish.
Dark beer instead of the wine.

DPG
23-10-2004, 23:15
Try peeling the celery before dicing - makes a world of difference...

Smurfette
23-10-2004, 23:40
yeah but it's a hassel!! Takes forever having to clear out stringy bitd.

stefania2003
24-10-2004, 21:49
Aaaargh!! DPG! I thought you taught English! ShephErd's with an e!!!
oh well:(
I can't compete with your recipes though..you put me to shame!
Here in Rome it's nearly always too hot to make comfort foods like Shepherd's Pie. And I think one would be hard pressed to find Cheddar since they have such a famous and huge national cuisine that they produce nearly everything themselves and don't import much.

DPG
24-10-2004, 22:52
Bugger!!;-)

Everyone has to slip up at some point Stefania!!

Fortunately I never do it in the kitchen!!;)

sfjohns67
25-10-2004, 10:14
Tried it out Saturday and it was DEELISH!!!!

stefania2003
27-10-2004, 15:35
DPG, no you don't and I have to confess to have written down a couple of your food hints etc:)
I don't know where you get decent minced beef in Moscow though. I gave up eating meat etc there and turned into a vegetarian. The quality of fresh meat and fish there was so awful. But if you make something with mince and all the other flavours it does disguise sub-standard meat.

polly
05-11-2004, 11:50
after hearing all the raves, i really want to try this recipe out too, but alas, first i must ask:

WOE is beef "oxo (or magi)"
?!?

you may ridicule me all you want for not knowing, but i must know.

DPG
05-11-2004, 11:56
Polly - It's a stock cube made with beef - Galina Blanca little cubes over here that you use in soups and things...

polly
05-11-2004, 11:59
oh - well that's easy. i guess i'm the only one who calls them "bullion cubes"! =)

veejay
05-11-2004, 12:08
Just in case...you can substitute nature burger for the beef...and of course veggie stock cubes as well

haven't tried this with minced beef, but you can also add a bit of szechuan sauce when simmering the mixture before assembling in the pie dish. used to make it this way when i made it with nature burger....

think i know what i'm cooking this weekend...:-)