PDA

View Full Version : restaurants by metro - broader range

rantandrave
27-09-2004, 17:53
there are lots of nice restaurants and cafes springing up outside of the center. this probably has something to do with the fact that many people are being brave and adventurous and moving as far out as sokol (*gasp*). would it really be so difficult to expand the list of metro stations? i think not. at least to include stations up the green line, since the areas of aeroport and sokol in particular have quite a few nice places. it seems this could be a great opportunity for people to branch out and try something new, rather than the same old places they already know in the center.

example: Durdin - russian microbrewery at sokol. good beer, great cider, good zakuski, good service, near metro. less snotty, and less packed with embassy employees, than tinkoff.

Churchill Pub - leningradsky between aeroport and sokol. i dont know anything about it, but would like to hear from someone who does.

DPG
27-09-2004, 18:04
How to decide which metro stations to include??

The reason I did the centre is that most people live and/or work there and the ring line provides a natural cut-off point...Also the fact that in the 3 different places I lived in in the suburbs there was bugger all in terms of places to eat and drink (admittedly I never lived at Sokol or Aeroport).

Perhaps we could add some threads like "Green line north of the ring", "grey line south of the ring" etc and people could highlight the actual station in their posts...??

What do you reckon??

D.

Sheepy
27-09-2004, 18:30
Good thinking batman!

jheisel
27-09-2004, 18:40
Well, as the majority of us do live and/or work in the center, I don't see much point in learning about Ruslan's favorite neighborhood cafe at Tyumenskaya, since I can pretty much guarantee I am not going to trek out to zhopa on the basis of someone's recommendation on an Internet forum.

Also, I think there is a second Durdin, at Oktyabrskaya or Polyanka. But I could be wrong (and the internet is not being supportive of me right now).

DPG
27-09-2004, 19:03
Originally posted by jheisel
I don't see much point in learning about Ruslan's favorite neighborhood cafe at Tyumenskaya, since I can pretty much guarantee I am not going to trek out to zhopa

Lol!

My thoughts on it exactly, but you put it so much more interestingly!!!:)

Also, we aren't aiming for the "had drinks at a great kiosk/palatka/tent outside the metro at godknowswhereskaya" type of inclusion...;)

allice
27-09-2004, 19:08
eeerm... yeah :rolleyes:

it is about the majority after all

trebor
27-09-2004, 19:30
A lot of people if they live and work in the center WANT to get out of there sometimes and go somewhere new, if only they knew where to go.
Especialy at the weekends.
Just because its out side the circle line doesn't mean its a kiosk at "godknowswhereskaya"
In fact a great place to go (if you have car or don't mind a 30 minute taxi journey) is Jhukovka, 10 minutes outside the MKAD!
Lovely village with a couple of good restaurants (Dacha and Peritz) and also probably the best Russian restaurant Czar's hunt.
All great for Sunday lunch.
Don't be so bloody shallow!

DPG
28-09-2004, 01:32
Trebor - khalm down, khalm down!!;)

Firstly, the "kiosk at godknowswhereskaya" remark was a bit of a poke at JHeisal!

Secondly, Zhukovka is definitely not the same as the suburbs of Moscow, and I think, technically, not actually in Moscow (not that it matters, perhaps we will get round to sticking it on if enough people ask...)

Thirdly, I already said I'd do the non-central metro line threads - was just looking for more ideas about how people want them done...!

Lastly, my whole "life stops at the Garden Ring" thing was a pisstake - I lived way out in the suburbs for 2 years, which is why I say there isn't much there!!

The new threads (will do another subfolder) will be:

Grey, Green, Orange, Purple, Light Blue lines north of ring
Grey, Green, Orange, Purple, Light Green lines south of ring
Red line west of ring
Red, Dark Blue, Yellow lines east of ring

Unless any arguements or different suggestions by the time I wake up tomorrow afternoon, the above will be done...!

DPG
28-09-2004, 11:47
Right, I've set it up as another subfolder in the restaurants' section.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE USE IT!!!!

trebor
28-09-2004, 20:40
Okay DPG,
maybe i was a little hasty but people do love to sound off here.
If any of you had any REAL adventure about you, you would go out and discover and then report back on the suburbs. (How hard is it to discover the center??)
Maybe a few of you can do it together (as your all such pussies) and i'm down here in Vladivostok.
ALONE!

85StonePolarBear
28-09-2004, 20:43
I have been all over Moscow many, many times - problem is that often when I do go out to the suburbs it involves research in supermarkets and I tend to return home with fresh meat etc rather than eating out there. Probably a mistake.

trebor
28-09-2004, 20:53
Its hard for expats to discover the suburbs without locals.
Get someone at work to take you on a pub/restaurant crawl round their local area.
I did it once and was pleasantly suprised.