PDA

View Full Version : Terrorism. Double standards Mr Blair.

lucytupper
26-09-2004, 08:27
While our beloved President, I mean Prime Minister Tony Blair insists his Government do not negotiate with terrorists, this has not always been the case.

He has negotiated with terrorists in the past - and much closer to home.

He talked to Gerry Adams, an alleged member of the IRA who, it is also claimed, set up an IRA unit which murderered nine people in the seventies.

Mr Blair also negotiated with Martin McGuinness, known to have been a senior Provisional IRA commander at the time of Bloody Sunday in 1972.

These terrorists were no less brutal than today's kidnappers in Iraq.

Will Blair one day do a deal with this latest bunch and set aside their crimes as the crimes of former IRA terrorists have been forgotten.

DPG
26-09-2004, 08:53
Let us hope that Tony Blair does not start negotiating with the Terrorists in the Middle East in the manner he has negotiated with Adams and McGuinness in the past.

The neotitiations with these two has been more along the lines of "we'll not actually ask for anything we agree on to be carried-out, but yield rather a lot so that you feel appeased".

If he started dialogue with the terrorists in Irag in the same manner, you'd have the British hostages stading up in front of a court in the UK upon their release to defend the reason they were employed in Iraq in the first place.

And let us not forget the much-touted arms' decommissioning in Northern Ireland where the terrorist organisations invloved have decommissioned:

Not.
A.
Single.
Round.
Of.
Ammunition.

In fact, the remnant parts of the Provisional IRA must be rather perturbed at all these current events and developments in the Middle East and those from September the 11th onward. Until those aeroplanes flew into the Wolrd Trade Centre, the IRA were the most "successful" and best organised terrorists/paramilitary group/faction/freedom fighters/[other nomenclature favoured by the media] in the history of terrorism. That moniker most probably belongs to others now.

quincy
26-09-2004, 10:56
You forget that the British media (The Independent) have taken a very hard line on not giving in to the captors' demands, the same ones mind you that filled up their pages telling (or was it ordering?) Putin to capitulate to the Beslan killers, who have made clear their aim is to foment rebellions "across Russia". By comparison the demands of Bigley's captors (release of 2 female prisoners) are not particularly extreme

rkfone
26-09-2004, 11:18
do you honestly think that negotiating with the terrorists would a) result in Mr. Bigley's release and b) end the kidnappings?

I think not. It is a very slippery slope to go down.

lucytupper
26-09-2004, 12:55
You are right. If these terrorists in Iraq were appeased, they would embrace their barbaric ways with renewed vigour. They would know that kidnapping people and be-heading innocent people carried political rewards.

However misguided this war in Iraq may have been - remember Blair took us into Iraq as Americas main ally despite British public opinion - we surely do not want to abandon Iraq now to the terrorists.

To do so would send out a wider message - that cruel and violent methods succeed.

So Blair has no choice and he knows he has no choice . The trouble is that there are grounds for Mr Bigley's ( the British hostage ) family as well as the kidnappers to believe otherwise.

Which brings me back to my original point. BLAIR HAS NEGOTIATED WITH TERRORISTS IN THE PAST!

DPG
26-09-2004, 12:58
Quincy, it is fruitless to attempt to draw parallels with Russia negotiating with domestic/domestically sponsored terrorists in their own language (culturally and historically as well as linguistically) on their own soil and the UK attempting likewise with foreign terrorists on foriegn sovereign (regardless of invasion) territory in different languages where the above principals are concerned.

The UK could do this with the IRA becuase 1) Ulster is part of Britain 2) British subjects were involved on both sides of the coin and 3) it was in both sides' interest to negotiate a attempt to curtail hostility and expedite peaceful resolution of the incidents which were occurring at the time.

The Iraqi kidnappers however most likely do not actually care overly about terms and resolution, rather the publicity their actions will afford them in the recruiting grounds of the other Arab states.

uninformed
26-09-2004, 20:44
Originally posted by quincy
You forget that the British media (The Independent) have taken a very hard line on not giving in to the captors' demands, the same ones mind you that filled up their pages telling (or was it ordering?) Putin to capitulate to the Beslan killers, who have made clear their aim is to foment rebellions "across Russia". Your constant refrain does a disservice to the dead and traumatized in Beslan. Please give it a rest.

quincy
26-09-2004, 21:42
Originally posted by uninformed
Your constant refrain does a disservice to the dead and traumatized in Beslan. Please give it a rest.

The dead and traumatized in Beslan have been insulted, repeatedly by the media sources that have sought to blame the victims themselves for their sufferings. If you are concerned then you are complaining to the wrong person. I am just a messenger! Meanwhile, this thread is about double standards in dealing with terrorists, and their appeasement by the politicians (and I would add, the media too, or should I say ESPECIALLY the media!). Compreende?

uninformed
27-09-2004, 10:54
Question: What's the difference between Quincy and an AK47?

Answer: An AK47 can repeat itself only 246 times before exhausting itself. Quincy has no such limit.

Ned Kelly
27-09-2004, 10:57

Answer: An AK47 can repeat itself only 246 times before exhausting itself. Quincy has no such limit.

good one!

quincy, you are a ******* tedious ****.

quincy
27-09-2004, 17:35

Good one indeed! I seem to be winding you up but that can be fun! Try sticking to the thread!:D

quincy
27-09-2004, 18:15
Originally posted by Ned Kelly
good one!

quincy, you are a ******* tedious ****.

TOUGH!!!! All I can say is if you are sooooo hyper-sensitive then SUFFER!:p

Ned Kelly
27-09-2004, 18:34
quincy, it takes all sorts.

but i still believe you'd make a great opening act for a boring **** folder.

quincy
27-09-2004, 19:20
Originally posted by Ned Kelly
quincy, it takes all sorts.

but i still believe you'd make a great opening act for a boring **** folder.

What if I said you don't have any beliefs? All you have done so far is to fart!:p

uninformed
27-09-2004, 19:41
What if I said you don't have any beliefs? All you have done so far is to fart!:p Out of 186 reported posts by Quincy there isn't one interesting one. That's one unhappy man trying to evangelize for his lost cause.

quincy
27-09-2004, 20:54
LOL Thanks! Not one interesting one but you still insist on reading (and replying to) my posts!;)

uninformed
28-09-2004, 13:39
LOL Thanks! Not one interesting one but you still insist on reading (and replying to) my posts!;) Tag. You're it!