PDA

View Full Version : Slingbox? Slingcatcher?

Josh V
03-03-2009, 17:48
Hi,

Just curious whether there are any expats that are using the slingbox-slingcatcher to watch cable from your homecountry - I saw some threads on this a long time ago on expat.ru:
- does it work here, and how well does it work?
- does it work with European countries --> Russia?
- does it require an exceptionally high internet speed? (I have the highest Stream package available)
- I assume you'd have to purchase it somewhere in Europe to get the right voltage adapters

Any advice will be appreciated!

Qdos
03-03-2009, 18:52
You can stream TV across the internet for less with a Nebula DigiTV card, and in truth you can also stream it through your router using a number of PVR suites, almost irrespective of the tuner card/device chosen... :p

TD
04-03-2009, 06:13
here's some info on SlingMedia:

the main component of the system is a SlingBox - this is a device which you connect to a TV, Cable/Sat Tuner or any other AV component. You also need to connect it to a high speed internet connection with a minimum uplink speed of 512k, although for best results I would recommend 1024k uplink channel.

Once the SlingBox is connected to both Cable/Sat/TV and the internet, you can then receive the signal in one of two ways...
1. using either a computer, PDA, or Mobile Phone and the appropriate software program and inputting a unique ID string belonging to the SlingBox in question, or
2. using a SlingCatcher, a new device made by the SlingMedia folks which is designed to "catch" the signal from your SlingBox and display it on a TV or display. The SlingCatcher can also be used as a wireless media server and allow you to stream media from other wireless (and wired) computers/devices in your home.

There are two Sling hosting companies that I know of - these are folks who will buy the SlingBox for you, connect it to either a terrestrial or satellite TV source, and host all of the equipment in an internet hosting facility with a high speed uplink (usually 2mbs)... One is in LA (US TV programming via Satellite) --> AtoBTV (http://www.a2btv.com) and the other is located in the UK (UK TV via Terrestrial broadcast) --> TheTelly.net (http://www.thetelly.net/)

for more info on the SlingMedia line of products check out their site (http://www.slingmedia.com/go/products)

waves
10-03-2009, 16:25
Josh....i'm using slingbox and Stream and it works fine. Juan from Sky Satelite UK contacted me via this forum after I posted a similar question last year. PM if you need contact details

Keen
20-03-2009, 11:42
I installed my slinbox with a friend in Denmark, and it works perfectly.
I stream it on my mac to see all the danish channels ;)

everything you need to know is on sling media's web page.

Chapfam
21-03-2009, 14:35
My slingbox is in the States (Texas) and I also have Stream here in Moscow. It works extremely well, espacially if you have a DVR with your slingbox. Definitely recommend it.

Afroman
02-04-2009, 12:48
I am streaming cable TV from the UK to Moscow. I have a 2.5Mb ADSL line in Moscow and I get perfect reception. I am using a Slingcatcher to receive the signal here and it makes life a whole lot easier as the Slingcatcher remote works directly with the Slingbox in the UK and mimicks the Sky TV remote.
OK - the signal is not good enough to watch ice hockey because of the speed of the movement, but I do not have trouble with any other sports - even motor racing.
You do not need to worry about voltage adaptors if the goods come from the US, as Slingcatcher works the same as your laptop's powerpack and can handle both 110V and 220V.