PDA

View Full Version : Coffee On My Keyboard

waxyweller
01-03-2009, 12:51
Please who can help me open my laptop and clean the thick coffee+Milk that splat on my laptop keyboard? some of the buttons are not working again ...do you have to clean it or change a new motherboard? i am using an external keyboard for it now but its not so comfortable for me but it is working fine...Who can help me repair it and how much is it gonna cost me>?:idea::wavey::cool:

franzewich
01-03-2009, 13:06
Now, I am an absolute computer klutz, and I had the same problem twice; once water from a roof leak and once orange juice. Simply forget the keyboard - cleaning will not work! I even had to mechanically disconnect the main keyboard since it kept interfering with the external board. The only solution - if you do not want to work with an external keyboard - is replacement. My laptop was a SIEMENS-FUJITSU and changing the keyboard was very simple: There are little matal wedges visible around the edge of the board which can be slid aside with a small screwdriver or such. I don't know which laptop you have, but just post the info on the forum - maybe somebody else knows the trick! But I heard that with most laptops you do NOT have to completely disassemble the housing.

Good luck to you - and don't waste your Sunday afternoon trying to clean the keyboard!

TD
01-03-2009, 18:19
if you do attempt to clean it, remove it from the laptop assembly first... I suggest you google the term "remove keybord from x model" for some tips

Remington
01-03-2009, 19:04
I suggest you to replace the keyboard. It's very difficult to clean if the stuff got inside the keyboard.

If you're a computer klutz, it would be wise to get get an external keyboard since it's easily replaceable and cheaper. You're lucky the coffee didn't go inside to the motherboard and fry your computer.

vovik01
01-03-2009, 19:35
Please who can help me open my laptop and clean the thick coffee+Milk that splat on my laptop keyboard? some of the buttons are not working again ...do you have to clean it or change a new motherboard? i am using an external keyboard for it now but its not so comfortable for me but it is working fine...Who can help me repair it and how much is it gonna cost me>?:idea::wavey::cool:

I'm to lazy....But OK, PM me after March 5. I think I can help you.

Qdos
01-03-2009, 22:51
Buy yourself one of these too, if you really can't
stop throwing liquids over your notebook! :D

http://i41.tinypic.com/2n1gme1.jpg

franzewich
01-03-2009, 23:07
Buy yourself one of these too, if you really can't
stop throwing liquids over your notebook! :D

http://i41.tinypic.com/2n1gme1.jpg

Great advice, thank you! :rofl: Actually, I needed this for my former (!) Russian girlfriend, since she was the one who spilled the orange juice over my keyboard! Which proves that Russian women can be very immature - and outright infantile! But then again, I also needed an umbrella for my laptop, since the building contractor failed to provide me with a site office whose roof did not leak!

bagel
02-03-2009, 13:26
The same thing happened to my laptop, an IBM think pad. I had to take it to CPS technical center and they had to import a keyboard and install it. I think it cost about 100 USD. They have a website: CPS | Домашняя страница (http://www.cpstc.ru).

tukiva
02-03-2009, 13:48
Cleaning of your pc/laptop is very important thing in usage.when once i cleaned my key board i found apricot jam under it! How could it get there?-anyway , my keyboard started to work again after cleaning and i was proud of being able to do it by my own, later i was telling to everyone that i have fixed my pc.
another tip of the day- if your computer is not working- make a vacuum cleaning of it (if laptop-just put it in a washing mashin and switch on a drying option hehe)