PDA

View Full Version : 60's singer refused entry to the states.

lucytupper
22-09-2004, 10:27
Sixties singer, better known as Cat Stevens has been refused entry to the states.

He converted to Islam years ago and now calls himself Yousef Islam.

What's that all about?

Kingwillhe
22-09-2004, 10:49
Entry has been refused to a variety of folks for a variety of reasons, when they are provided...foriegn students, scientists, academics trying to participate in lectures etc...

Mr Stevens has a high profile with regards to his religious choice and is an active promoter of same. If you are into conspiracy theories (and who isn't) maybe it's an attempt to distract attention from more pressing matters, like a certain chess player?

Random
22-09-2004, 10:54
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3678694.stm

According to the BBC

Fa-Q!
22-09-2004, 12:16
Lucytupper, what's with you and trying to start shit with the US and Americans? You know, I'm American and I just learned this morning that another of the hostages in Iraq has been executed. That doesn't make me feel to good. Now I have to come on here and see that you're up to the same ol' same ol'. It's a good thing my foot won't reach through this computer screen, 'cause I'd put it way up your ass.

Canadian1979
22-09-2004, 17:43
Well....technically Bush and Cheney would not be allowed in Canada because of their numerous DUI arrests. Same thing.

DPG
22-09-2004, 17:45
Yes, and we can all just see Canada refusing the let them in...not.

Canadian1979
22-09-2004, 17:47
Originally posted by DPG
Yes, and we can all just see Canada refusing the let them in...not.

Very true, there is a civility and respect for foreign governments amongst the Canadian leadership.

Kingwillhe
22-09-2004, 19:07
Are you sure you're Canadian?

I won't get into it too much but the perpetualy ruling party (the Liberal party) loathe the Americans. This is not representative of the Canadian people I might add.

Nagant Guy
22-09-2004, 21:57
The singer in question is alleged to be a financial supporter of the terrorist group, Hamas. That is a good enough reason to not allow him into the US.

Why would Bush want to go to Canada?

quincy
24-09-2004, 11:10
Couldn't resist having a dig. "Terrorists" if they are anti-American or anti-British or anti-Israeli or maybe anti-NATO. "Celebrated fighters" (according to the New York Times) if they murder Russian children, in which case they may also qualify for an audience with the US administration to get a sympathetic hearing of their "grievances"

Ned Kelly
24-09-2004, 11:56
Originally posted by Nagant Guy
The singer in question is alleged to be a financial supporter of the terrorist group, Hamas.

he came out and sang peace train after 9/11 - having not sung one of his songs for 25 years since converting - as an expression of his sorrow. he financially supports schools in the uk that are considered models of harmony between muslim and non-muslim people in western society.

uninformed
24-09-2004, 22:48
Originally posted by quincy
"Celebrated fighters" (according to the New York Times) if they murder Russian children, in which case they may also qualify for an audience with the US administration to get a sympathetic hearing of their "grievances" Are you some sort of robot that says the same boring crap over and over? Or are you just some nationalist jerk who has no understanding of Russian history. How many kids did Stalin murder? Millions? And have you ever gone on about his horrors? And all of the currently living apologists for him? Geez. Wake up to your own hippocracy. Or, what about the current Putin government that is presiding over a continuing decline in health care, is cutting benefits to the aged, and the result is 800,000 fewer Russians each year than the year before. THIS is a real crime, too.

kritter
25-09-2004, 00:42
Hamas take a slice out of any of the money NGO's put into Palestine or else they won't let them in. So what Cat did was no worse than what other NGO's have done. So he probably should be let into America. Then again I don't think the fact that he wasn't allowed is worth people getting their knickers in a twist about.