PDA

View Full Version : Kiev

AlexMC
25-02-2009, 17:37
Hi there, just thought it would be nice to start discussions about Kiev, Ukraine. Really nice city.

quincy
25-02-2009, 21:44
Kiev is considered the spiritual capital of all Eastern Slavonic peoples/countries (Russia, Belarus, Ukraine)

FrenchRussian
25-02-2009, 22:27
Kiev, Ukraine. Really nice city.

Agree. I have been there once a few months ago after visiting all Ukraine for work last year (Odessa, Mariupol, Zaparoje, Krivoy Rog, Donetck, Dnenopretrovsk) and I really felt in love with this city. What really amazed me is the beauty of the yards of most of the appartment blocks I have seen. Very nice small gardens that are very well maintained in the center. I never saw anything comparable in other cities in the world. I loved also the architecture of the buildings.

And of course, women there (but this is true for Ukraine in general) are just drop dead gorgeous

mattology
29-04-2009, 19:24
Can't wait to get there (in less than 2 weeks). Any nice party locations?

GaNozri
29-04-2009, 19:34
Chestnuts blooming on Kreshatik!

Adieu
29-09-2009, 19:26
Definitely one of my fave cities! I adore Kiev!!!

Kraven Morehead
29-09-2009, 19:48
There is an expat forum for Ukraine that have more info on Kiev if you are interested.
Expat Ukraine - International Community Portal in Ukraine | Home (http://www.expatua.com)

Larry Paradine
29-09-2009, 22:06
I've only been there once in my life, more than eleven years ago, but the experience was unforgettable. It's not just one of my favourite cities but it's definitely my favourite capital city (of an independent country, that is, Cheboksary being my favourite capital if we count non-independent states).

Just one point that may be worth bearing in mind: the current tension between the goverments in Moscow and Kiev. Eleven years ago the Ukrainian visa in my passport didn't raise any eyebrows in Russian consulates or at passport control in Sheremetyevo, but, if the situation gets much worse, passports with Ukrainain visas (or just entry stamps) may be as welcome in Moscow as passports with Israeli visas are in Damascus.

Rhubard Geoff
29-09-2009, 22:40
I lived there 3 years and traveled back to Moscow frequently by train and plane and never encountered a raised eyebrow from either sets of border officials so can't agree with the last poster.

It truly is a great city. The people are softer and warmer than here and generally helpful to foreigners. Climate is better, food is better and as some one said the fairer sex are something else.

I'd jump at the chance of going back if the opportunity were presented.:thumbsup:

tvadim133
29-09-2009, 23:59
And as for me I am not so entsuastic regaridng Kiev, may be because I was there several times but only for business reason.

Nevertheless I liked all famouse places it is worth to be seen.

What I like: It is small in the comparison with Moscow, not so full of traffic, there are some convinient but not expensive hotel, girls are beautiful but not so proud as punches.

kapione
01-10-2009, 07:45
To me ,I enjoyed going to Kiev.... I was relaxed ... pace was a tad slower.....I have gone there many times(8 or 9 times).I have friends there that arrange my accomodations,get me good deals. No that there is a World financial crisis it is a very good bargain, you can rent luxury apartments for less than $100 per day adjacent to Indenpendence square.
There are many cool cafes, Rolling Stones,Pink Floyd cafes for example....
and a very beautiful park Marinaski(I think I have the wrong spelling)park, beautiful in Summer and lovely in winter . perhaps in the future ,I may relocate there

Daisy
12-11-2009, 13:45
Easy to get to by overnight train.

juliarus
15-04-2010, 09:57
I just came back from Kiev 2 weeks ago. the city is really nice and people are polite. I stayed at a great hostel called kiev lodging hostel. The guys that run it are great (it's a norwegian-ukrainian couple). they offer a lot of different tours like ak-47 gun shooting and chernobyl, walking city tours. the price for the hostel is a lot cheaper than any soviet 3 star hotel. Here is link to their website
hostelukraine (dot) com

Scatterling
15-04-2010, 10:18
Thanks for the interesting thread. I'll be going to Kiev on a visa run this weekend and I haven't been all that excited about it.
Now, however, I can't wait to spend a couple of days there. Any nice, affordable places to taste some traditional cuisine?

kapione
15-04-2010, 10:39
on the corner next to the Russian Embassy there is a "Chinese" restaurant, it isnt too genuine, but nice portions and a decent price ...now due to the worldwide financial crisis, Ukraine is hard hit ...You can stay in a Luxury flat on independence square for $75 to 100 dollar per night if you negotiate well, if you need a contact agency I used PM me , you can probably get a place nearer to the Russian Embassy a little cheaper, or near the Kiev train station even cheaper
Thanks for the interesting thread. I'll be going to Kiev on a visa run this weekend and I haven't been all that excited about it.
Now, however, I can't wait to spend a couple of days there. Any nice, affordable places to taste some traditional cuisine?

FatAndy
15-04-2010, 11:29
2 Scatterling:
Any nice, affordable places to taste some traditional cuisine? - there are two which I like (God save your liver :D):
1) Restaurant Hutorok (Rus) - Hutorets' (Ukr) - located at debarkader/barge at Dnepr river
ХУТОРЕЦЬ/ХУТОРОК
Контакт: 04070, Украина, Киев, г. Киев, Набережно-Хрещатицька вул., 10, Спаський причал № 1
тел./факс: (044) 463-70-19, 416-80-39.
e-mail: khutorok@ukr.net

2) Restaurant "Pervak" at m. Pl. L'va Tolstogo
http://www.pervak.kiev.ua/
http://www.pervak.kiev.ua/about.htm

Both are not cheap.

AnnaTria
15-04-2010, 12:35
Hi guys, have you been in Lvov (Lviv)??? That's really marvelous city with Austria-hungarian architecture, decent prices, tasty food and good people. Unforgettable coffee smell on the streets... narrow streets with laying of setts.
I've been there once in a winter and dream to get there again in spring or summer...

Igor Vinidiktov
16-04-2010, 14:06

Recently been in Kiev! it was reallyexciting trip

as for traditional cuisine - varenichnaya #1 (Esplanadnaya st., 28). we ate there so much that it was difficult for to walk :)

look at map (http://maps.google.ru/maps?hl=ru&ie=UTF8&q=kiev+varenichnaya&fb=1&gl=ru&hq=varenichnaya&hnear=kiev&view=map&cid=10260448928164917393&ved=0CBkQpQY&ei=NTbIS9WHFdea_QbRnpiCDA&ll=50.438621,30.52032&spn=0.005289,0.013797&z=16&iwloc=A)

oxsanka84
17-05-2010, 22:54
"Puzata Khata" cafe (Ukrainian national cuisine) - really worthy to go.
The biggest one is near Kontraktova Ploscha metro station.

oxsanka84
17-05-2010, 22:56
And May - is the best time to visit this incredibly lovely city. Chestnuts! :)

mattology
18-07-2010, 10:31
Is anyone up for a meeting sometime this week Wednesday Jul 21 or Thursday Jul 22 evening? I'm staying quite central. It would be nice to meet up for a drink or a meal. PM me or let me know in this thread.

iamjustinmiller
29-08-2010, 09:16
Good city, Ive studied out there several times already. A bit slower than Moscow which could be a good or bad thing depending on your tastes. Girls are better looking than Muscovites and much friendlier. You wont find the arrogance in Kiev that you find polluting Moscow; not once have I noticed someone from Kiev talk down to an immigrant or someone from the provinces (see this all the time in Moscow.)

Overall mellow city and worth a trip if you've got a free weekend in Eastern Europe.

kharaku
11-04-2011, 10:37
Hi there, just thought it would be nice to start discussions about Kiev, Ukraine. Really nice city.

I've been staying Kiev for a few weeks for a visa run. I started off staying at a new hostel in the center but I recently moved to hostel Kiev Central Station, because, well it's near the train station. Both are pretty clean, and secure. I might check out Chillout Hostel because there is a group coming soon so there's no room for me here.

alouette
12-04-2011, 00:50
Summing up: Kiev is a lovely and nice city. What about Moscow? Is it a lovely city?

alouette
12-04-2011, 00:58
IMHO: Kiev is charming, St Petersburg is beautiful and Moscow is the capital.

Irina88
12-04-2011, 20:49
I've been to 80% of ukranian cities and towns. This country looks more european than Russia. But still Moscow is the centre of LIFE.