Random
22-09-2004, 10:12
:agree:

Bring on next summer !!

am4rw
22-09-2004, 22:58
Originally posted by Smurfette
England 262-4 beat Australia 259-9 by six wickets

Can you explain the math? Or shouldn't I ask ... ?

kritter
22-09-2004, 23:48
It means if Australia had got 6 more wickets they would have won...but they didn't. You probably still don't understand do you?

Smurfette
23-09-2004, 00:22
they had more runs but lost less wickets so they won by the difference in wickets rather than the higher number of runs

lucytupper
23-09-2004, 01:51
Originally posted by Smurfette
they had more runs but lost less wickets so they won by the difference in wickets rather than the higher number of runs

Smurfette,

What ARE you talking about? You are COMPLETELY wrong!

The match was played for the duration of 50 overs per side.

The team scoring the most runs in their allotted 50 overs is deemed the winner. The result has nothing to do with the number of wickets lost.

England passed Australia's score with 21 balls or 31/2 overs to spare.

lucytupper
23-09-2004, 02:02
Originally posted by am4rw
Can you explain the math? Or shouldn't I ask ... ?

Each side bats for 50 overs. What is an over? A player on the fielding side bowls the ball overarm 6 times - that is an over. This happens 50 times from each end of the ground alternatively! Or 25 overs from each end of the ground.

The batting side score runs by running between the wickets or stumps. Australia scored 259 runs in their allotted 50 overs.

They lost 9 wickets or 9 men were out as they compiled their score.

England passed the Australians score in 461/2 overs, losing 4 men in the process.

Contrary to what Smurfette says, the loss of wickets in this particular match has no bearing on the result. It is the team scoring the most runs in their 50 overs who is the winner.

Incidentally if 10 men are OUT, then the team is all OUT except the last man who is not OUT.

The team that are OUT then come IN.

And the team that were OUT fielding then go IN to bat while the team that were IN tries to get them OUT. If they get them all OUT before they reach their score then they win the game. But if they don't get them all OUT and the team that are IN reach the other teams score before the 50 overs are up then they win the match!!

am4rw
23-09-2004, 02:37
My head hurts. Can you draw a picture?

p.s. I have seen cricket matches. Still don't completely understand the scoring. Do the English also bet on how fast grass will grow? And watch it?

lucytupper
23-09-2004, 03:03
Originally posted by am4rw
My head hurts. Can you draw a picture?

p.s. I have seen cricket matches. Still don't completely understand the scoring. Do the English also bet on how fast grass will grow? And watch it?

It seems that way doesn't it? A test match, which is the highest form of cricket is played over FIVE days!

The match that was described above is known as a ONE-Day match or limited overs match.

They can prove to be the most exciting, often going to the last over or even the last ball to decide the result.

Millions of pounds are bet on such matches. Betting in running is becoming very popular now. That is while the match is in progress.

The market is extremely volatile with the odds changing dramatically with the fall of a wicket or the scoring of a few runs.

Runs are scored when the batsmen run between the wickets. If the ball is hit over the boundary rope without touching the ground it is a six or 6 runs. If it touches the ground first then it is a four or 4 runs.

Cricket is a complicated game to understand. It is even more complicated to explain!

But please, if you have any more questions, I will be happy to answer them.