PDA

View Full Version : Loose lips & Russians sink ships

robertmf
22-02-2009, 22:48
Those mad 498,000,000,000,000,000 Chinese are all hopping up and down waggling fingers at Russia. This is the maddest they've been since the US said "oops" and bombed their Bosnia embassy.

Russia Accused of Sinking Ship

Reuters

BEIJING China called on Russia on Thursday to explain how a Chinese cargo ship sank in Russian waters after reports it was fired on by the Russian military.

Seven Chinese sailors were missing after the New Star sank on Saturday in stormy seas off Vladivostok and after a Russian warship shot at least 500 rounds into it, the official China Daily newspaper said, quoting a Chinese-language paper which in turned quoted a Russian newspaper.

The New Star was held at the Russian port of Nakhodka earlier this month, suspected of involvement in smuggling, before it left without permission last week, the China Daily said.

China has already made representations to the Russian side, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu told a news conference.

We hope they continue with the search and rescue operations for the missing sailors and clarify the reason (for the incident) as soon as possible.

China says three Chinese crew members were rescued and seven were missing.

In video footage of the incident broadcast on Russian television, the rattle of gunfire could be heard, with authorities there claiming the ship was given adequate warning.

The New Star captain was called by radio, border guard boats sent light signals, a special flag demanding to stop was raised and a warning shot was fired, a prosecutor in Nakhodka, Alexander Selentsov, told Russias Interfax news agency.

DDT
22-02-2009, 23:00
I don't know why but somehow this makes me happy!

Qdos
22-02-2009, 23:23
I seem to remember something worse in the past regarding a Korean airliner which was definitely not smuggling anything... but was shot down over Murmansk on April 20th 1978, and a Boeing airliner shot out of the sky near Sakhalin in 1983, during a scheduled run from the USA to South Korea... :rolleyes:

There were many dozens of times the casualties of the present crew of the Chinese vessel, and I expect the Chinese are more annoyed about the actual loss of the vessel as opposed to its crew in any event, given their demographic problems...

Russian Lad
23-02-2009, 00:25
000,000,000,000,000???

There was also a successful landing of Cessna on the Red Square, so it's not all that bad...:)

robertmf
23-02-2009, 01:44
I seem to remember something worse in the past regarding a Korean airliner which was definitely not smuggling anything ... and a Boeing airliner shot out of the sky near Sakhalin in 1983, during a scheduled run from the USA to South Korea... :rolleyes:

Snoopy and the Red Baron (Boeing 707s) would fly out of Shemya and shadow the KAL flights so as to appear one blip on Russian radars ... but in the KAL 707 case the pilot was off the flight path ... cynically speaking I wouldn't put it past the 3 letter acronym people to have bribed the commercial pilot to veer off the flight path for something juicy in the airwaves or a photo or two.

User:Hutcher/Korean Air Flight 007 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Hutcher/Korean_Air_Flight_007)

In the event, the Russians nailed the commercial flight instead of the (presumed) COMINT/ELINT plane. :11629:

What's the word for firing radar lock on? Захвать ?

robertmf
23-02-2009, 01:47
000,000,000,000,000???

There was also a successful landing of Cessna on the Red Square, so it's not all that bad...:)

Well .................................. a big number :-) A VERY BIG number :-PP

I wonder what the Chinese are doing for there to be so many Chinese ?

Scrat335
23-02-2009, 02:31
The scoop on this that I got was the ship brought rice to the port and offloaded all or part of it.

Anyway the Russians refused to give the ship permission to leave for one of 2reasons. The customs police wanted to inspect the ship because they recieved a warning it was possibly smuggling drugs. The second reason I heard was that it had only offloaded part of its cargo of rice and the people in the port commerce section wanted the rest at the price they offered. It comes into the port, it stays in the port. They do the same thing to fishermen in Alaska.

Either the captain or owner had something to hide or they were not going to sell the rice at the offered price (I am going with the smuggling one as the ship in the video is obviously empty) the owner of the ship ordered the captain to pull out of the port and move on. The captain did as he was told.

The Russians persued the ship in worsening weather for several hours, they repeatedly requested they return to port in several languages and shot red flares over the deck. The freighter refused to turnabout and the Russians proceded to shoot 500 rounds from the 20mm deck gun into the freighter. The captain finally came to his senses and reversed course.

Apparently the barrage damaged one of the engines of the freighter. They only had half power. One the way back to port the seas worsened, the freighter was taking on water and was slowly sinking. The storm worsened, seas were peaking at 20-30 ft with 60 mph winds.

The crew abandoned ship, the closest Russian ship was about 1/2 mile away at the time, in heavy seas. The Russian captain did what he could without risking the lives of his own crewmen but unfortunately half the crew was lost.

Who's to blame? I blame the captain of the cargo ship. He is after all the captain, he is GOD on that ship. He is responsible for that ship and its crew. This guy was an idiot. Not only did he lose a cargo ship, he will be in court looking at a prison sentence. Any fatarsed owner sitting in Beijing or wherever can have the keys to the boat before I disobey a warship with guns pointed at me. I may never captain a ship for that company again, but then I'll be alive.

He should have at least returned to the port when requested, follow the last order given. The Russian authorities were within their rights. They followed the maritime laws.

I think there may have been some nefarious activities involved on the part of the ships crew/captain, why did they run? Why?

You'd think that people would learn that the Russians are not going to take any crap from anyone. It's time to learn respect or be taught it, the hard way.

robertmf
23-02-2009, 02:52
Is the Capt. one of the survivors or did "he go down with his ship" ? I suppose divers/robot can go down to take a peek at what, if anything, is in the sunken ship's holds ?

DDT
23-02-2009, 03:13
In case anyone would like to see it as it was on video:
’идео "мо€е", ав‚о€: e.eroshkina - Video.Novostivl.Ru (http://video.novostivl.ru/video/view/?id=v86298329be)

DDT
23-02-2009, 03:50
Here is a different incident sowing what seems to be standard practice to fire a few flares first and hit them with live rounds if they don't stop, as the Russian Coast Guard did on the Chinese vessel. I'd say the Captain of the Chinese ship was retarded. Russian artilary is deadly accurate in the video.
YouTube - Coastguard interception (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvNvFxPrjaU&eurl=http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=151933&page=4)

DDT
23-02-2009, 03:59
And here is the Russian News video:
(http://www.5-tv.ru/news/17191/)

Scrat335
23-02-2009, 05:20
Is the Capt. one of the survivors or did "he go down with his ship" ?

The captain is facing a 2 year prison sentence, possibly more. He was responsible for the crew of that ship. He made some very bad decisions.