PDA

View Full Version : Honey cake

Sheepy
21-09-2004, 09:05
I am looking for an 'idiot's guide' to making the honey cake they sell at 'Yolki Polki' i.e the type that's layered with wafer/biscuit and cream. Is there a special name for it in Russian?

DPG
21-09-2004, 12:42
I know the one - pretty tasty!

I think it would be pretty difficult (or at best time-consuming) to make because of the layers.

BUT

If I remember correctly, Yolki Palki at Tretyakovskaya has a shop on the lower floor which sells everything on the menu to take home, including that very cake!!

Maine Surfer
21-09-2004, 12:47
Medovik?

DPG
21-09-2004, 13:28
Almost, but it's very different to those rectangular Medovik cakes that you can get in supermarkets.

It's more like a gatueau with pastry type layers...

Sheepy
21-09-2004, 13:43
Originally posted by DPG
I know the one - pretty tasty!

I think it would be pretty difficult (or at best time-consuming) to make because of the layers.

BUT

If I remember correctly, Yolki Palki at Tretyakovskaya has a shop on the lower floor which sells everything on the menu to take home, including that very cake!!

OK I'll pop in and see.

Still wouldn't mind having a stab at it. I'm sure that all that time and effort is well worth it! Down to the very last crumb!

Sheepy
21-09-2004, 13:45
Originally posted by Maine Surfer
Medovik?

The problem is that there seems to be so many variations of Medovik so pretty difficult finding the right one in a cookbook. :(