PDA

View Full Version : English Magazines - found a great kiosk!

ezik
20-02-2009, 21:58
Actually, the guy was having a place at the underpass (perekhod) at the very beginning of Novy Arbat (centre side), but since February 1st he moved to Lubyanka. Called him today to see if he moved already and he did.

The kiosk sells English Language magazines, possibly also German and other languages. He has latest editions of almost anything and he keeps older editions and sells them with a discount. E.g. January's Top Gear Magazine I got for 300 rur, but the February edition (coming next week) will go for 450 rur. February CAR Magazine sold for 300 rur as well, and the February UNCUT (with a free CD) sold for 450 rur. This definitely beats the price at the airport! Also, the choice is rich - it's practically heaven if you have been frantically scanning bookshops for foreign magazines or wondered if Azbuka Vkuza wasn't overcharging a bit...

Here's how to find it:
There is an underpass under Lublyanskaya Ploshad', basically going from Detskyi Mir to Myasnitskaya ulitsa. You can recognise it by all kiosks having glass panels in red frames. Coming from Detskyi Mir, you'll notice the underpass inclining and the kiosks on your left side. Most kiosks are numbered (the one I'm talking about isn't), so just aim for kiosk #21.

Any questions or if you want the phone number of the kiosk, PM me.

If it turns out to be difficult to find for a lot of people, I'll plan an excursion.

OuterSpace
20-02-2009, 22:15
thanks! Ezik this will help

i was looking for something like this...

Carbo
22-02-2009, 22:21
Actually, the guy was having a place at the underpass (perekhod) at the very beginning of Novy Arbat (centre side), but since February 1st he moved to Lubyanka. Called him today to see if he moved already and he did.

The kiosk sells English Language magazines, possibly also German and other languages. He has latest editions of almost anything and he keeps older editions and sells them with a discount. E.g. January's Top Gear Magazine I got for 300 rur, but the February edition (coming next week) will go for 450 rur. February CAR Magazine sold for 300 rur as well, and the February UNCUT (with a free CD) sold for 450 rur. This definitely beats the price at the airport! Also, the choice is rich - it's practically heaven if you have been frantically scanning bookshops for foreign magazines or wondered if Azbuka Vkuza wasn't overcharging a bit...

Here's how to find it:
There is an underpass under Lublyanskaya Ploshad', basically going from Detskyi Mir to Myasnitskaya ulitsa. You can recognise it by all kiosks having glass panels in red frames. Coming from Detskyi Mir, you'll notice the underpass inclining and the kiosks on your left side. Most kiosks are numbered (the one I'm talking about isn't), so just aim for kiosk #21.

Any questions or if you want the phone number of the kiosk, PM me.

If it turns out to be difficult to find for a lot of people, I'll plan an excursion.
Ezik, that's awesome. That could win an Oscar for best post in the history of the universe.

ezik
22-02-2009, 23:27
Ezik, that's awesome. That could win an Oscar for best post in the history of the universe.

Pint of Guinness will do, thank you very much :D

tgma
26-02-2009, 10:56
There's a similar place in the underpass underneath Tverskaya, between the Mayor's Office and Dom Knigi - new magazines are crazily expensive, but they have back issues for 200-300 roubles. I look for GQ and the like, but I've also seen that they have women's mags and guitar mags.