PDA

View Full Version : Cost of installing a landline?

Elizabeth
18-02-2009, 01:08
It seems I am constantly plagued with problems because I have no landline. I am about to break down and pay to get one installed (my boyfriends parents own the apartment we live in, so mozhno). Does anyone have any idea how much it costs? My boyfriend says $500 but I think he just doesn't want to think about it, isn't too concerned...

vovik01
18-02-2009, 01:31
It seems I am constantly plagued with problems because I have no landline. I am about to break down and pay to get one installed (my boyfriends parents own the apartment we live in, so mozhno). Does anyone have any idea how much it costs? My boyfriend says $500 but I think he just doesn't want to think about it, isn't too concerned...

Maybe it's better get GOOD Internet and get VOIP line?
You can get (VOIP) phone with Moscow and(or) USA ## . $10-$25 month...

Unlimited calling through VoIP all over the world, calling cards Russia, Israel (http://www.telphinusa.com/)
BroadVoice Internet Phone Service - VoIP Phone Service, Broadband Telephone, WiFi Telephone, SIP and Softphone Service (http://www.broadvoice.com/)

Katrine L
18-02-2009, 02:27

Just call the Call Center of Moscow City Phone Station +7 495 636 0 636. They tell you everything and offer options. They have service of selling you a transferable number, ie if you move another apartment within Moscow you can save your phone number and use it at other place.

As for price I've heard it is smth about 5000rubles but not sure, never done myself. Best to call them. Good luck!

Elizabeth
18-02-2009, 11:23
Unfortunately our only choice is corbina because that's what's in our building... and since we have no phone theres no getting DSL. Oddly enough, our neighbors have corbina too and don't secure their wifi so I use that most of the time, but sometimes everything goes down. Even when things seem to be working well, skype is still hit or miss. But of course things have not been working lately AT ALL.:boxing:

Maybe it's better get GOOD Internet and get VOIP line?
You can get (VOIP) phone with Moscow and(or) USA ## . $10-$25 month...

Unlimited calling through VoIP all over the world, calling cards Russia, Israel (http://www.telphinusa.com/)
BroadVoice Internet Phone Service - VoIP Phone Service, Broadband Telephone, WiFi Telephone, SIP and Softphone Service (http://www.broadvoice.com/)

Qdos
18-02-2009, 12:01
Oddly enough, our neighbors have corbina too and don't secure their wifi so I use that most of the time, but sometimes everything goes down...

It probably goes down for no other reason than because all of your other neighbours are doing exactly the same as you are! :evil:

Tattelecom charged me 1,700 rubles for a second line recently. They're not in Moscow, but I don't see why a landline in Moscow should cost more when all is said and done.

It's not unusual to face a waiting list however, and 'moving up' that list might well be what costs the money! ;)

Elizabeth
18-02-2009, 13:21
It probably goes down for no other reason than because all of your other neighbours are doing exactly the same as you are! :evil:

Tattelecom charged me 1,700 rubles for a second line recently. They're not in Moscow, but I don't see why a landline in Moscow should cost more when all is said and done.

It's not unusual to face a waiting list however, and 'moving up' that list might well be what costs the money! ;)

Right just like my problems with aquaphor we bought the damn filter 3 weeks ago and no one will come out to install it unless we add 500 rubs to the fee. We figure by now we've spent an extra 500 on bottled water.

Well, everyones internet in our bldg is secure except for "default" and default almost always works better than my own, I don't know why!!!

Qdos
18-02-2009, 13:58
There are lots of reasons why internet fails inside buildings where it often gets shunted into rather thin copper wires and/or stuffed through cheap and cheerful modems and piped to consumers down an ethernet cable.

Sometimes, in fact often, the copper wires aren't robust enough. Sometimes the number of users simultaneously connecting to a local node presents too heavy a load and the system will ripple and stall. Especially true if you happen to be on the 4th spur of the twelfth router, right at the back of the queue!

People often don't set up their own routers or cable modems properly, causing glitches or inviting wardriving which can then overload the local node further.

I've also seen, firsthand, some Russian ISP's and cable internet companies using some appallingly bad practices and dirty tricks.

vovik01
18-02-2009, 17:48
Unfortunately our only choice is corbina because that's what's in our building... and since we have no phone theres no getting DSL. Oddly enough, our neighbors have corbina too and don't secure their wifi so I use that most of the time, but sometimes everything goes down. Even when things seem to be working well, skype is still hit or miss. But of course things have not been working lately AT ALL.:boxing:

Don't complicate things. Get you own Internet and VOIP number. You can use your # everywhere ! You can use home VOIP adapter. Something like this
Linksys PAP2 / PAP2-NA Sip Voip Phone Adaptor UNLOCKED - eBay (item 370161290535 end time Feb-20-09 13:30:20 PST) (http://cgi.ebay.com/Linksys-PAP2-PAP2-NA-Sip-Voip-Phone-Adaptor-UNLOCKED_W0QQitemZ370161290535QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCOMP_Telecom_IP_Telephony?hash=item370161290535&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A15|39%3A1|240%3A1318)
or WiFi VOIP phone UTStarcom F1000 Vonage Wireless WiFi VOIP Phone - eBay (item 200309315584 end time Feb-18-09 17:46:10 PST) (http://cgi.ebay.com/UTStarcom-F1000-Vonage-Wireless-WiFi-VOIP-Phone_W0QQitemZ200309315584QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCOMP_Telecom_IP_Telephony?hash=item200309315584&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A15|39%3A1|240%3A1318)

WiFi phone you can use with ANY open WiFi network.

About somebody WiFi Internet. Locked network (password) can be opened ( hacked) in 5 minutes ! I mean WiFi router can be hacked... So you must make proper router configuration on you own router to secure your Internet.
I'll be in Moscow soon:-) Call me and I will tell you how :-)

vovik01
18-02-2009, 18:07
What you want from your phone ? Make calls in Moscow? Receive calls? Make calls to USA? What number you want ? Moscow or USA ? You want transfer your USA number to Moscow cell phone? Different things, different options....

Elizabeth
18-02-2009, 22:12
What you want from your phone ? Make calls in Moscow? Receive calls? Make calls to USA? What number you want ? Moscow or USA ? You want transfer your USA number to Moscow cell phone? Different things, different options....

I want to make and get calls. With evroset making calls outside Moscow is quite cheap and for international I have a US skype number and its only $10 a month to forward the number to a Moscow landlines (among other places and features), its free unlimited minutes. I tested it once at a place with a landline, forwarding it there, and it didn't charge my account. I talk to my parents several hours each week and its getting expensive because I'm forwarding it to my cell which is 8c per minute (plus my cell gets really bad reception here). My boyfriend uses a different voip through his computer, we are generally dissatisfied with that whole scene.

Anyway we called that number, its 7200 rr in Moscow to get a landline, and we are doing it.

vovik01
18-02-2009, 23:02
I want to make and get calls. With evroset making calls outside Moscow is quite cheap and for international I have a US skype number and its only $10 a month to forward the number to a Moscow landlines (among other places and features), its free unlimited minutes. I tested it once at a place with a landline, forwarding it there, and it didn't charge my account. I talk to my parents several hours each week and its getting expensive because I'm forwarding it to my cell which is 8c per minute (plus my cell gets really bad reception here). My boyfriend uses a different voip through his computer, we are generally dissatisfied with that whole scene.

Anyway we called that number, its 7200 rr in Moscow to get a landline, and we are doing it.

I'm sorry, but I don't get it...
"its 7200 rr in Moscow to get a landline" - don't think so..Moscow phone number maybe? 7200 for setup + $$$? monthly?
"we called that number"- what number?
"want to make and get calls"- make calls to...? Moscow? USA? Get calls from ? Moscow? USA ?
"I talk to my parents several hours...8c per minute" - who is calling who? From which number to which number ?
I told you, tell me what EXACTLY you want ? So I can help you....
Ok, look , I have StPetersburg NUMBER and New York number on the SAME account AND same VOIP adapter. What it means...Somebody calling me to StPetersburg(RU) number from StPit(ru)( free for him) my phone in Tampa ringing . Conversation free for both of as. Somebody calling to my New York number from USA number, my phone in Tampa ringing . Conversation free for both of as.
Now, if I make call...
"Our Capital Calling Plan allows you to make unlimited calls to Moscow, unlimited calls to Saint-Petersburg, Israel, the US, and Canada for one low fee of $24 per month"
I'm paying for this plan+ St.Petersburg (812) phone number($10 monthly). USA number FREE with this plan.All calls to States, to St.Pit, to Moscow free for me.
If I move my VOIP adapter to Moscow(or whatever) it's will be SAME! So I can take all my phone service with me when I'm traveling. No forwarding, no minute charges. I need ONLY Internet access. VOIP adapter can be wired or VOIP WiFi phone.
Unlimited Calling Moscow, Saint-Petersburg (http://www.telphinusa.com/capital_en.aspx)

Elizabeth
18-02-2009, 23:49
I'm sorry, but I don't get it...
"its 7200 rr in Moscow to get a landline" - don't think so..Moscow phone number maybe? 7200 for setup + $$$? monthly?
"we called that number"- what number?
"want to make and get calls"- make calls to...? Moscow? USA? Get calls from ? Moscow? USA ?
"I talk to my parents several hours...8c per minute" - who is calling who? From which number to which number ?
I told you, tell me what EXACTLY you want ? So I can help you....
Ok, look , I have StPetersburg NUMBER and New York number on the SAME account AND same VOIP adapter. What it means...Somebody calling me to StPetersburg(RU) number from StPit(ru)( free for him) my phone in Tampa ringing . Conversation free for both of as. Somebody calling to my New York number from USA number, my phone in Tampa ringing . Conversation free for both of as.
Now, if I make call...
"Our Capital Calling Plan allows you to make unlimited calls to Moscow, unlimited calls to Saint-Petersburg, Israel, the US, and Canada for one low fee of $24 per month"
I'm paying for this plan+ St.Petersburg (812) phone number($10 monthly). USA number FREE with this plan.All calls to States, to St.Pit, to Moscow free for me.
If I move my VOIP adapter to Moscow(or whatever) it's will be SAME! So I can take all my phone service with me when I'm traveling. No forwarding, no minute charges. I need ONLY Internet access. VOIP adapter can be wired or VOIP WiFi phone.
Unlimited Calling Moscow, Saint-Petersburg (http://www.telphinusa.com/capital_en.aspx)

That was my quick way of saying "problem solved, thanks for the help y'all." Someone posted a number to call to find out about a landline earlier in the thread, that was the number I called. I can't do VOIP, the internet is always out, this is the precise reason I can't do it. Monthly fee for landline in Moscow is less than $10 for unlimited. Adds up to $20 per month I will be paying for people to call me from the US and for me to not be trapped in my apartment without internet. I also take classes online and there has been more than one 11pm trip to McDonalds to use internet to submit things, so if I have a landline I can do dialup.

Also, the $10 per month skype fee lets me also call anywhere in the world for free, practically, at least anywhere I'd want to call. Which is perfectly useless when my internet doesn't work, and I think your system would be the same.

vovik01
19-02-2009, 00:21
That was my quick way of saying "problem solved, thanks for the help y'all." Someone posted a number to call to find out about a landline earlier in the thread, that was the number I called. I can't do VOIP, the internet is always out, this is the precise reason I can't do it. Monthly fee for landline in Moscow is less than $10 for unlimited. Adds up to $20 per month I will be paying for people to call me from the US and for me to not be trapped in my apartment without internet. I also take classes online and there has been more than one 11pm trip to McDonalds to use internet to submit things, so if I have a landline I can do dialup.

Also, the $10 per month skype fee lets me also call anywhere in the world for free, practically, at least anywhere I'd want to call. Which is perfectly useless when my internet doesn't work, and I think your system would be the same.
Good!
Next time if you need something from telecommunications, ask me:-)