PDA

View Full Version : Study English in London

Catherina
17-02-2009, 16:38
Hello everyone!

Could enybody suggest or recomend me a private English teacher in London. I wish to imporve my english skills, that I hope will help me to survive here;) but I'm working all the day and most of the courses here are in the morning or afternoon, that isn't suit me, unfortunatly.

I will be really pleased for any help.

Thnaks in advance,
Katya

twister
17-02-2009, 19:23
The British Council might be able to help you. I don't know their contact info but you should be able to find that easily enough by doing a search on the web. Good luck!

quincy
19-02-2009, 18:16
Hello everyone!

Could enybody suggest or recomend me a private English teacher in London. I wish to imporve my english skills, that I hope will help me to survive here;) but I'm working all the day and most of the courses here are in the morning or afternoon, that isn't suit me, unfortunatly.

I will be really pleased for any help.

Thnaks in advance,
Katya

There are hundreds of schools in London many of them run by people who don't speak proper English themselves...they are just businessmen from India, Pakistan, Arab countries, Turkey, Greece etc. They might have native speakers as teachers but many of them probably are not qualified to teach or if they are, they have done just a 4-week CELTA course. You must be careful to choose the right school. Many foreign students end up feeling disappointed.

Bels
23-02-2009, 00:08
There are hundreds of schools in London many of them run by people who don't speak proper English themselves...they are just businessmen from India, Pakistan, Arab countries, Turkey, Greece etc. They might have native speakers as teachers but many of them probably are not qualified to teach or if they are, they have done just a 4-week CELTA course. You must be careful to choose the right school. Many foreign students end up feeling disappointed.

I don't believe this is true. Where on earth did you get these facts. I have experience in being employed with these schools recently. First of all have a look at tefl,com site on the jobsearch for UK. Look at what qualifications these employers are asking from teachers. These schools are heavily controlled from government bodies including The British council.

Where better would you suggest? A foreign country where there is no actual speaking practise in English. Let's hammer the writing of grammar from a Russian teacher who doesn;t know how to communicate in English :)

And what do you expect from a teacher who is paid peanuts. Yes many do have this heavily condenced CELTA course worth about 160 hours. What on earth do you want when your teachers are paid so little in comparison to British state school teachers. You can only get what teachers are paid for and that is what is less than what you pay for your cleaner or nanny.

I'm sorry but the TEFL business is big time business for the UK and they openly claimed as one of the biggest. Unfortunately this big money does not apply to the teachers and that's the problem.

Look at TEFL job search. The majority of work is in the UK, and there is a fact that the UK takes one third of TEFL business. One third of TEFL in pink :) LOL