PDA

View Full Version : Interestingly Enough....."In God We Trust"

yankee@moscow
17-09-2004, 11:55
Well, they came out with the new design for the nickle that will debut in 2005. Apparently the US still trusts in God officially. :)

85StonePolarBear
17-09-2004, 12:01
Maybe G-O-D is but a misspelling of "George!" ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Halyavshik
17-09-2004, 12:27
So much for separation of church and state.

studentka
17-09-2004, 14:26
I guess "In god the trust" identifies American cars like "Made in China" identifies China :)
I wonder whether British cars have the same label.

85StonePolarBear
17-09-2004, 14:30
Originally posted by studentka
I guess "In god the trust" identifies American cars like "Made in China" identifies China :)
I wonder whether British cars have the same label.

American CARS? That would be "In A Year We Rust!"

Maine Surfer
17-09-2004, 15:02
Bear, they rust if you drive them on the north pole maybe.
There is nothing wrong with American cars. You've mistaken American with Russian :D

85StonePolarBear
17-09-2004, 15:10
:) - I know; that dates back to when I was a cub and the Japanese had a reputation for quality whereas the US auto industry was in decline. Russian cars do not take a year to rust; they come pre-rusted, straight out of the factory!

Maine Surfer
17-09-2004, 15:15
they are actually pretty decent. I had an old Pontiac, bought it for $300 and drove it for 3 years with no problem, just changed oil, tires and muffler. Then had a brand new Shevy Cavaler for 3 years, no problem whatsoever. Then had a Japanese, no comment, best vehicle I've had to date :cool:

Col. Brokov
17-09-2004, 15:25
Well, of course! With fascist Georgie in office how can we expect to have our constitutional rights protected?! This is the same nut job (G.W.) who announced that his favourite philosopher was jesus way back in 1999 (Republican debates). I for one find the fact that our money bears those words to be very offensive and inappropriate. It should be removed!
Yankee, I can't help but think that you had specifically me in mind when you started this thread.

Col. Brokov
17-09-2004, 15:27
American cars are the best vehicls in the world. Sure there are some real lemons, but if you buy the right one, you just can't kill 'em! I had a 1988 Crown Victoria, man what a car! No matter what the thing just kept running! And, it was easy to fix. My broyther loves those Japanese things, but they are too hard to repair on your own, though some of them were pretty tough also.

rmo6767
17-09-2004, 15:28
Maybe not rust, but absolutely Bust. hehe

Sorry, had 3 American cars and all three had major problems and then ended up with an American car in Malaysia and same thing.

I have had three Toyotas and never had any problems with them ever, well except that tune-ups are high as hell on them.

Did hear Pontiac is getting better, my last Pontiac was the Grand Am 1997 not even a week later the head liner was coming down and the carpet was cut too short, then two months later electrical problems, had to be a Monday/Friday Production car.

But I do like the room in American cars and the power they have, fast and strong.

Maine Surfer
17-09-2004, 15:32
My Pontiac was 11 years old when I bought it. Ran just fine for 3 years.
Undoubtedly the world record in price/qaulity/satisfaction. Just kept on going through heat, rain, sleat and snow. Just couldn't kill that car, and I tried. Vezdehod.

Again, my experience with Am cars is great, must by car lucky :D :agree:

Big Bugga
17-09-2004, 18:04
Dodge RAM....every other truck just wishes it was a RAM.

And as far as people in the past few years being all pissed off about the "In God we trust" thing, tough! I dont think it has anything what so ever to do with people being so OFFENDED becouse of the word good, they are happy about it becouse it starts with the same letter as their favorite word GREED! People here in the use get rich just looking for things like that to go to court over and make a quick buck. If everyone was so religiously accepting and not such ego filled butt heads why would they care? I'm a pagan, so I'm not sure exactly what one of the God's they are all trusting about...I wish they would make it more clear :)

Bugga'

Col. Brokov
18-09-2004, 15:45
Originally posted by Big Bugga
And as far as people in the past few years being all pissed off about the "In God we trust" thing, tough! I dont think it has anything what so ever to do with people being so OFFENDED becouse of the word good, they are happy about it becouse it starts with the same letter as their favorite word GREED! People here in the use get rich just looking for things like that to go to court over and make a quick buck. If everyone was so religiously accepting and not such ego filled butt heads why would they care? I'm a pagan, so I'm not sure exactly what one of the God's they are all trusting about...I wish they would make it more clear :)
It has nothing to do with GREED or money or anything. I am a proud and militant atheist. It is just as much my government and country as any other Americans'. Furthermore, the Constitution guarantees me my right to this and is supposed to protect me from religious nuts trying to force their beliefs down my throat. So why is it that every time I reach into my wallet, or count my few pennies, do I need to see some reference to some fanciful deity that I don't believe in and that my government is not supposed to recognize? I am just as much an American as the other 300 million odd others, but every time I want to pledge my allegiance I need to mention this same fanciful deity. Why? Are christians really that insecure that they can't be satisfied with their churches? Do they really need to convert the treasury and the government as a whole into their church? Why do they need to run about crying that "America is a christian nation"? Where does that leave me and other Americans like myself? Can somebody please justify this with some principle? If so I will cease to be offended. Until then I will continue to consider that my constitutional rights are being intentionally trampled on by a bunch of unprincipled kooks.

yankee@moscow
18-09-2004, 16:07
Hey Col. Do you ever stop complaining?! I'm sorry that the world doesn't conform to everything that you believe in, but can you at least one time say something without bitching and moaning about how the whole structure of society seems to be designed just to irritate you!

Furthermore, it's interesting to me how militant athiests spout off about religious kooks. Whether you like it or not, every single one of us is going to die one day. Everyone owes to themselves to decide for themselves what is going to happen at that point in time. Apparently, those that don't agree with you are kooks?!

The bottom line is that whatever it is that happens to us when we die, it's most likely going to be the same circumstances for each of us. Logically, that means that a whole bunch of people are wrong in their beliefs. Are the Christians wrong, are the athiests wrong, are the muslims wrong? What about the Buhdists? They can't all be right since they believe totally different things. The fact is that we'll all find out soon enough. And I, for one, don't want to spend my last moments complaining to a bunch of Expats how my rights are being violated by my currency because I'm an athiest.

Col. Brokov
18-09-2004, 16:29
I don't care what people believe! What I do care about is when those other people try to ram their ideas down my throat! As far as the whole world being set up to irritate me; I wonder if you would consider it a mere "irritation" if the treasury removed the words "in god we trust" and replaced them with "in vishnu we trust", I have a funny feeling we would have a whole country up in arms screaming that their rights were being violated. I'll bet you would change sides on this issue really quickly, and for once we would be on the same side of an issue. After all why would you want to live in a place that trusts in vishnu and not your god? Ya see my point?
On another issue of me complaining, you must have known that you would find my response on this thread when you started it. Did you do start it just to call me a complainer? If so perhaps you should have started a separate thread about me like "legs" did for Canada. Though, I doubt you would find nearly so many supporters as "legs" did.
Finally, the kooks thing. I don't care what you think will happen to you when you die, not my business. But kooks are people who run roughshod over the points of view of others, and when they meet with a legitimate complaint, instead of addressing it and trying to see the other personís point of view, gloat that they are getting their way. If I am to interpret this thread as anything but a response to our recent exchange on just this issue on "legs" thread "why I won't vote democrat", then I must assume that you are simply a very boring person who finds the latest designs on nickels fascinating. I for one can think of better things to do than spend my time (last moments or otherwise) than praising the design of the latest nickel to a bunch of expats!

p.s. vishnu is a hindu god, in case ya didnít know.
p.p.s. Letís not get too worked up and offended about this. I would prefer that we discuss this like gentlemen. I do not mean to offend you but have merely tried to point several things out that deserve recognition.

Big Bugga
18-09-2004, 20:23
Seems to me you are more worried about it than you say. If in fact you are athiest, and dont follow any god, then those words should mean NOTHING!, no more than a slogan to by a soda of some sort or a car...NOTHING! unless of course you are actulay interested. Dude grow up a little bit, is it realy worth brooding and being upset over? I think not, go on with your life, if those four little words get you so worried and worked up. Untwist your panties over something so trivial and stupid and go grab a rum and coke, chill out and watch the Simpsons bruddah', lifes to short for this kind of crap.

Bugga'

Blaked
18-09-2004, 20:58
A philosopher is someone who questions his existance and investigates the nature, causes, or principles of reality, knowledge, or values, based on logical reasoning rather than empirical methods. Jesus claimed that his ideas came directly from God - they were not derived from any circumspect analysis of the fundamental nature of the world. If you believe that you are the Son of God, you have no need for philosophy. It's the rest of us out here that need philosophy - we're not sure of anything.

Originally posted by Col. Brokov
Well, of course! With fascist Georgie in office how can we expect to have our constitutional rights protected?! This is the same nut job (G.W.) who announced that his favourite philosopher was jesus way back in 1999 (Republican debates). I for one find the fact that our money bears those words to be very offensive and inappropriate. It should be removed!
Yankee, I can't help but think that you had specifically me in mind when you started this thread.

koba65
19-09-2004, 01:01
Originally posted by Big Bugga
Dodge RAM....every other truck just wishes it was a RAM.

Bugga'

For lack of a better term, I'm going to play devil's advocate (because I really don't have a strong opinion on this matter): If the wording, "In God we Trust" was eliminated from our currency, would it matter? If you're a true believer shouldn't it be strange to see references to God on your currency? The phrase arose during the Civil War and was used as a war cry amongst Yankee troops - sort of offensive to the troops of the Confederates who believed in the same God... If our wise founders didn't find it necessary to stamp our currency with the phrase when we became independent, I don't see why the North found it necessary to stamp the phrase on the coins, other than to offend the other side by implying they were Godless, or without God's support. It's about as ridiculous as athletes thanking God for their victory - like God chose sides?

Frankly, I find this to be a non-issue no matter what side you're on. If you're an Atheist then you should just get a chuckle out of a reference to a being you do not believe in. I don't think anyone has been converted to Christianity based on what is stamped on a penny.

yankee@moscow
20-09-2004, 00:40
Originally posted by Col. Brokov
Ithen I must assume that you are simply a very boring person who finds the latest designs on nickels fascinating. I for one can think of better things to do than spend my time (last moments or otherwise) than praising the design of the latest nickel to a bunch of expats!

Oh yeah, I'm really into nickles. I'd like to have about 800 million of them actually. If they spend, the government can write whatever the hell they want on them!:D

Zephyr
20-09-2004, 07:49
The inscription I look for on my money reads .999 fine gold. The rest is just toilet paper. :-)

Col. Brokov
20-09-2004, 15:08
Alright, Whatever. You guys can have your opinions and I'll stick to mine. Who the hell cares any way. What was that about the "Simpsons", big brudda? Sounds like a wicked good idea.

yankee@moscow
28-09-2004, 17:38
Looks like we trust God with 50 dollars still too!

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040928/capt.nyet25109281243.new_fifty_nyet251.jpg

Zephyr
28-09-2004, 19:45
The main thing for the government is to keep the presses rolling, no matter what excuse they give.:rolleyes:

kniga
28-09-2004, 20:33
Col.

Shakespeare said it best: "Much Ado About Nothing."

Blaked
28-09-2004, 23:45
Originally posted by koba65
Frankly, I find this to be a non-issue no matter what side you're on. If you're an Atheist then you should just get a chuckle out of a reference to a being you do not believe in. I don't think anyone has been converted to Christianity based on what is stamped on a penny.

It reminds me of all of the BS legislation passed in the US that has been religiously inspired. I think of fat, ugly Congressmen and Senators with their heads bowed in prayer and how barbaric and illogical American Christianity is.