PDA

View Full Version : Food of Life

lucytupper
16-09-2004, 10:32
Here are 14 foods to help you to live longer!

These foods, according to research and because of their ingredients, can prevent disease and extend our life span. They could prevent heart disease, diabetes, dementia and cancer.

Spinach, Salmon, Soy, Oranges, Tomatoes, Broccolli, Turkey, Blueberries, Tea, Baked Beans, Quaker Oats, Pumpkin, Yoghurt, Walnuts.

Try them and enjoy!

85StonePolarBear
16-09-2004, 11:19
Originally posted by lucytupper

These foods, according to research and because of their ingredients, can prevent disease and extend our life span. They could prevent heart disease, diabetes, dementia and cancer.

Spinach, Salmon, Soy, Oranges, Tomatoes, Broccolli, Turkey, Blueberries, Tea, Baked Beans, Quaker Oats, Pumpkin, Yoghurt, Walnuts.

Try them and enjoy!

For the record, Quaker Oats is similar to Gerkules here - but if we ward off dementia, how will we keep this site going? ;) ;) ;)

Sunstorm
16-09-2004, 11:25
Hey.... and what about coffee??? Not only coffee makes me live longer, it simply makes me live!

85StonePolarBear
16-09-2004, 11:26
There is some research that suggests coffee may prevent against either Alzheimer's or Parkinson's - I forget exactly what I read and where.

Random
16-09-2004, 12:03
If music be the food of love ...why can't rabbits play banjo's ???

:D

Big Bugga
16-09-2004, 12:12
Just dump em all in a blender with some guinness and make a smoothy!

Bugga'

plastique
16-09-2004, 12:41
the food or the rabbits bugga? hee hee

Big Bugga
16-09-2004, 18:32
Both! :)

Bugga'

Ghost
16-09-2004, 18:46
Originally posted by 85StonePolarBear
There is some research that suggests coffee may prevent against either Alzheimer's or Parkinson's - I forget exactly what I read and where.

Was that supposed to be serious, or a joke?

85StonePolarBear
16-09-2004, 20:53
LOL - sure looked like I was joking there but I was quite serious:

http://www.worldhealth.net/p/275,875.html (Parkinson's)

http://www.medicalpost.com/mpcontent/article.jsp?content=/content/EXTRACT/RAWART/3835/44A.html (Alzheimer's)

Draw your own conclusions and check other sources - I am not a doctor and I don't even play one on the Expat Site :)

lucytupper
16-09-2004, 22:21

Try them and enjoy!

Further to my original post, here are a few more details.

Broccolli : contains folate, fibre, calcium, vitamins C and K, beta-carotene.

The best food on the planet for preventing cancer.

Blueberries : contains fibre, folate, vitamins C and E, potassium, magnesium, iron, riboflavin, niacin, phytoestrogen.

The best food on the planet to preserve a young brain as we mature.

Quaker oats: contains high fibre, protein, magnesium potassium, zinc, copper, selinium, thiamine.

A sure-fire way to lower cholestorol levels.

If there is interest i can post more details on the other 'FOODS FOR LIFE.'

Eat well and stay healthy!

Kshisya
16-09-2004, 22:30
lucy :suspect: and what about beer and vodka?? :drink:

;)

Big Bugga
17-09-2004, 02:18
(CHEERS!) Kshisya!

Bugga'

lucytupper
17-09-2004, 04:05
Originally posted by Kshisya
lucy :suspect: and what about beer and vodka?? :drink:

;)

Booze has no nourishment value at all, puddles your brain, causes gastric and liver problems and makes you fat.

Compare this to TEA which contains flavonoids, fluoride and no calories. The easiest and cheapest no-calorie way to avoid heart disease and cancer.

Or ORANGES which contain vitamin C, fibre, folate, potassium and pectim. The most readily available source of vitamin C, which in turn lowers the possiilities of heart disease and cancer.

So, in other words, you can either drink yourself to death or eat your way to health. Your choice!

Big Bugga
17-09-2004, 04:27
I dont get it.....

mmmmmm beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer glglglgllglg

Bugga'

Kshisya
17-09-2004, 09:38

So, in other words, you can either drink yourself to death or eat your way to health. Your choice!

I'd prefer to die young and happy than old and healthy :p:p:p

:drink: cheers Bugga! :D

85StonePolarBear
17-09-2004, 09:48
Moderate drinking is GOOD for you; for this I'm not even going to bother posting links because any drunken bomzh can do a Google search and find the info!

lucytupper
17-09-2004, 10:33
Originally posted by Kshisya
I'd prefer to die young and happy than old and healthy :p:p:p

:drink: cheers Bugga! :D

Entirely YOUR choice, my dear.

Whatever you put in your body is your sole responsibility and choice. No-one will force ANYthing in your mouth that you don't want to eat or drink.

We really are what we eat - and drink to some extent.

I am sure you didn't mean your comments. To suffer ill-health must be the worst thing in the whole wide world. ALL the money in the world cannot buy health.

Life is for living. You cannot live it to the full if you are not healthy!

Random
17-09-2004, 10:37
Life. Be in it

Been my motto for a long time ...

Ned Kelly
17-09-2004, 10:39
Originally posted by Random
Life. Be in it

Been my motto for a long time ...

yeah right norm!

Random
17-09-2004, 10:45
SAM: "What's the story, Norm?"
NORM: "Boy meets beer. Boy drinks beer. Boy meets another beer."

Kshisya
17-09-2004, 10:52
Originally posted by Random
SAM: "What's the story, Norm?"
NORM: "Boy meets beer. Boy drinks beer. Boy meets another beer."

yea :rolleyes: right what I thought - girl meets boy and he gets all fun! :rolleyes:

unfair :cry:

:p

Big Bugga
17-09-2004, 18:07
BEER..BEER..BEER FOR THE BEER GOD...and please pass the nacho's!

Bugga'

lucytupper
17-09-2004, 22:09
You REALLY are what you eat - and drink.

Take Big Bugga - a complete idiot!

Case proven. Next!!

Big Bugga
18-09-2004, 03:00
And I thought you loved me Lucy!

Bugga'

Shatneresque
23-09-2004, 16:31

Try them and enjoy!

Lucy, dear:

Any suggestions for someone suffering from hypoglycemia?

(Seriously, no joke!)

Thanks,

JTK

polly
23-09-2004, 16:43
hypoglycemia, as in low blood sugar.
i feel ya.
eat smaller meals more often throughout the day, not even meal-like but more like snacks. Avoid simple sugars (candies, cakes, all the stuff you want) and instead eat complex sugars, which are the sugars found in fruits and veggies. in other words, when you feel dizzy or like yuo want something sweet, grab a piece of fruit. simple sugars will give you a "rush" and send your blood sugar level back up with a quickness, but it will also cause it to crash very soon afterward. peanut butter is supposed to be good too (my mom always force fed me a spoon when i got cranky and sugar-low when i was a tot).
most important is to eat a little of everything throughout the day to ward off the fainting spells and avoid simple sugars!!

Shatneresque
23-09-2004, 17:56
Originally posted by polly
hypoglycemia, as in low blood sugar.
i feel ya.
eat smaller meals more often throughout the day, not even meal-like but more like snacks. Avoid simple sugars (candies, cakes, all the stuff you want) and instead eat complex sugars, which are the sugars found in fruits and veggies. in other words, when you feel dizzy or like yuo want something sweet, grab a piece of fruit. simple sugars will give you a "rush" and send your blood sugar level back up with a quickness, but it will also cause it to crash very soon afterward. peanut butter is supposed to be good too (my mom always force fed me a spoon when i got cranky and sugar-low when i was a tot).
most important is to eat a little of everything throughout the day to ward off the fainting spells and avoid simple sugars!!

A fellow sufferer, eh...?

The things I hate most are (1) the headaches and (2) falling asleep in front of my computer at 3:00 p.m. if I eat lunch around noon.

Have already learned that nibbling on cheese and crackers during the day is a much better alternative.

I try to drink a lot of (unsugared) fruit juice throughout the day, too.

Apparently my craving for coffee is also related to the condition....

I find that just knowing what it is I have (finally!) makes it easier to deal with all the other symptoms.

polly
23-09-2004, 18:01
yeah just make sure ya eat right. i usually try to have some roasted almonds at the desk. but i'll tell you i'm near about asleep right now despite the 6 cups of tea i've had today. good thing it's quittin time... time to sleepwalk home.

Polia Ivanova
25-09-2004, 14:12
I had hypoglycaemia attacks since I was about 25 years old and I got rid of them (forever as I hope) doing Atkins. It was the revelation really – I carried sweet stuff with me all the time to cure the symptoms to prevent myself from fainting but to cure the reason I had to stop eating carbs.

I am quite in favour of complex carbohydrates in moderation. I eat oatmeal and wholegrain rye bread (quite a treat here in the UK – not all supermarkets sell it) but with hypoglycaemia I wouldn’t recommend oranges and bananas, although blueberries and strawberries shouldn’t be a problem (only 6% sugar). And avoid “low fat” food – it is stuffed with starchy replacements usually.
However if hypoglycaemia is caused by existing diabetes I would stick to what the doctor says. If it is pre-diabetic insulin disturbance – do Atkins. Turkey and salmon from that list. And make sure it is wild salmon, not from a salmon farm.

85StonePolarBear
25-09-2004, 14:16
Originally posted by Polia Ivanova
I head hypoglycaemia attacks since I was about 25 years old and I got rid of them (forever as I hope) doing Atkins

Having just weighed in at the (vet) clinic to find that I have lost 9 kgs over the past 55 days for a total of almost 30 kgs since 25.11.2003, I highly recommend the South Beach Diet, even in your situation (you can eat vegetables, it is lower in fat etc). www.southbeachdiet.com and follow the link to the bulletin boards - but I am sure you can get the book(s) in the UK. Don't go into phase 2 as deeply as the author recommends - keep bread consumption limited to flatbreads (lavash, tortilla etc) 2 or 3 times a week, rice to once a month if you happen to like sushi as I do, and just forget that pasta ever existed :). I also keep my fruit consumption to a minimum but I never did care for fruit too much.