PDA

View Full Version : If you have a chance to choose a second citizenship, which one would you take?

exyabloko
16-09-2004, 09:06
?

Helix
16-09-2004, 14:35
Are you going to help ;) ot it's just a idle inquiry? :)

yankee@moscow
16-09-2004, 14:40
NO DOUBT........SWISS!

Ledka
16-09-2004, 14:41
Any that could give me an opportunity to travrl without visas

Blaked
16-09-2004, 15:15
Swiss or Irish.

85StonePolarBear
16-09-2004, 15:18
Toss up between Iraqi and Afghan, with Iranian and Rwandan close behind.

RedCosmonaut
16-09-2004, 16:08
No doubt at all. Russian

Ned Kelly
16-09-2004, 16:11
Originally posted by RedCosmonaut
No doubt at all. Russian

just make sure you get moscow registration tossed in with it.

natlee
16-09-2004, 16:22
Agree with Ledka. I.e. want the same thing.

DJ Biscuit
16-09-2004, 16:25
Why does no one explain why they chose whatever country they chose?

Me, I' d go for British (again) just to make doubly sure! ;) :D

Col. Brokov
16-09-2004, 16:32
I'd definatly take British! All the advantages of an American passport, minus some of the general international dislike! Plus Britain is a wonderful country. I loved it there!

DJ Biscuit
16-09-2004, 16:34
Thanks, pleased you like our little island, you're welcome!

Polia Ivanova
16-09-2004, 16:55
I think it is very frustrating to live in a country without the citizenship of this country. It is also frustrating to surrender the citizenship of your native country if you want to acquire the citizenship of the country you live in.
I have seen Georgy Danelia’s film “Passport” about a chap who by mistake got into an airplane heading for Israel and his tragic way back to Soviet Union. The main idea is that we shouldn’t be separated by the formality called “passport”.
I agree with Ledka about visa free travel. Russian citizenship makes you feel like a piece of c**p in this sense.
But I wouldn’t even think about “what citizenship” without the connection with the country. Why should I consider Swiss one, unless I live or was born there???

Random
16-09-2004, 17:01
Somewhere warm!!

Oh and doesn't suffer from hurricanes either !!!

:)

Polia Ivanova
16-09-2004, 17:10
If I win lottery I will shift my bum to Italy. Warmer countries isn't such a bad idea.

Sunstorm
16-09-2004, 17:31
Originally posted by Random
Somewhere warm!!

Oh and doesn't suffer from hurricanes either !!!

:)

Like Vietnam? :D ;)

Pussy Cat
16-09-2004, 17:41
Originally posted by exyabloko
?

I agree with Ledka about the citizenship giving opportunities for travelling:)
But if to choose a country to live (together with citizenship;) I think it could be France or Austria

Random
16-09-2004, 17:48
Originally posted by Sunstorm
Like Vietnam? :D ;)

They got surf there ...so not a bad call actually !!!

Sidney Bliss
16-09-2004, 17:54
Originally posted by Random
They got surf there ...so not a bad call actually !!!

Why are you being so conscientious about your laundry all of a sudden?! Besides, I thought you were more of a Persil man.:confused:

Random
16-09-2004, 18:00
No mate - I'm like Rod Hull - I use Ariel & Bounce ...

:D

Filimon
16-09-2004, 20:53
Definitely British. And I am on my way there - got my Indefinite Leave to Remain last week. :)

Polia, there are 84 countries, for which Russians do not need a visa or can get it on arrival, not all of them bad.

I think the combination of Russian and UK nationalities is the perfect one in the current world.

Polia Ivanova
16-09-2004, 22:08
Originally posted by Filimon

I think the combination of Russian and UK nationalities is the perfect one in the current world.

you are quite right:agree:as long as Russian embassy renews your Russian passport knowing you are British too...I shouldn't have been so honest, but this is me

Canadian1979
16-09-2004, 23:49
Originally posted by Ledka
Any that could give me an opportunity to travrl without visas

Don't think that really exists.

Which citizenship actually does afford the best travel possibilities?

As for me, anything EU would be nice, so I could work hassle free in many culturally diverse places.

A few years back I used to curse my Canadian passport because I couldn't travel to the Baltics visa free(while the Yanks and Euros could). But that has changed since they joined the EU. Overall my Canadian passport does pretty well as a travel document, but for work purposes it's not so great being Canadian. Large country, but the business world is limited in Canada itself seeing as we are a small nation (population wise). Can't work document free anywhere else in the world.

Smurfette
17-09-2004, 00:02
Try Irish, working on the basis that they have spent some much time arguing amongst themselves they haven't had time to piss off any other countries....
just a theory.

Dreamcatcher
17-09-2004, 09:25
I am going to take Canadian in one year and now thinking about tossing out my present Russian citizenship because of the last news in Russia.

Filimon
17-09-2004, 13:21
Originally posted by Polia Ivanova
you are quite right:agree:as long as Russian embassy renews your Russian passport knowing you are British too...I shouldn't have been so honest, but this is me

They will. There is nothing in the law to prevent them from doing so. On the contrary, Russian citizenship law states that obtaining another citizenship does not void the Russian one and the person still has the rights and (more importantly!:)) the responsibilities of a Russian citizen.

As far as I know these days one needs to be really patient and resorceful to give up Russian passport: it is a complex bureaucratic procedure akin to getting Russian passport, if not worse.

Tonia
17-09-2004, 22:02
Best thing to do is to keep your russian passport (if you are russian) + get EU/American citizenship for easy travelling.
But does anyone here knows how hard it is to exchange russian passport if you live abroad!!! My passport is going to expire this winter and the easiest way to exchange it- come back to Russia for cople of weeks and get it there ($$$)... Such a headache!!!

Blaked
18-09-2004, 00:59
Ireland has low taxes, an above average GDP/capita, and they never caused enmity by maintaining an empire, but people still know that they're great fighters, especially when they're in a bar and pissed....

Filimon
18-09-2004, 01:58
Originally posted by Tonia
Best thing to do is to keep your russian passport (if you are russian) + get EU/American citizenship for easy travelling.
But does anyone here knows how hard it is to exchange russian passport if you live abroad!!! My passport is going to expire this winter and the easiest way to exchange it- come back to Russia for cople of weeks and get it there ($$$)... Such a headache!!!

Tonia, nearest Russian Consulate will change it for you. It wil cost you and will probably take some time, but it is doable. My wife did it here in UK (4 months and 195 pounds sterling - unless you are registered there, then it's cheaper)

Polia Ivanova
18-09-2004, 02:27
Besides all OVIRs are closed now (I suspect this is the reason of my delay) so I think it is a bit messy in Russia now, even with $$$.

£190 and it is valid for only 5 years - British one was cheaper and it is valid for 10 years.
This is the cost of being Russian in the UK.

Filimon
18-09-2004, 23:22
Originally posted by Polia Ivanova
Besides all OVIRs are closed now (I suspect this is the reason of my delay) so I think it is a bit messy in Russia now, even with $$$.

£190 and it is valid for only 5 years - British one was cheaper and it is valid for 10 years.
This is the cost of being Russian in the UK.

OVIRs are only closed in Moscow, everywhere else they still exist.

If you register with the consulate, then its 3 weeks and I think 35 quid.

IRS_Runner
20-09-2004, 14:16
Well since I already have a US and a EU passport I'd like to have umm... a South-African one would be nice...

As it is not hated as much around the globe, but I'd love to get my hands on one from Brazil as well :)

exyabloko
20-09-2004, 18:24
My passport is going to expire this winter and the easiest way to exchange it- come back to Russia for cople of weeks and get it there ($$$)... Such a headache!!!

One good thing about Russian Consulate. I get new passport for my son in 6 days. Kids under 18 are priority. Surprisingly fast and hassles free! Something changes for good in there.

Polia Ivanova
20-09-2004, 19:36
Originally posted by exyabloko
One good thing about Russian Consulate. I get new passport for my son in 6 days. Kids under 18 are priority. Surprisingly fast and hassles free! Something changes for good in there.

Lucky you. Here in London Russian Embassy it is still Soviet Union. Scottish one is different but they serve only those who live in Scotland and even if you live one mile from the Scotish border but on the English side you have to go to London.

exyabloko
20-09-2004, 23:31
Polia
Lucky you. Here in London Russian Embassy it is still Soviet Union.

Well, they don't have AC there and when it hits 90F it feels pretty stinky inside, and people staying in long lines outside also.

stefania2003
21-09-2004, 00:01
Polly, are you also going to join me in Rome?:)) My capuccino list is growing!

stefania2003
21-09-2004, 00:04
Ermmm.....can't spell cappuccino!!! One nice thing about being British is getting the automatic right to work in the EEC and stay in this delicious place:)