PDA

View Full Version : Sending Stuff From Moscow to London - is there a cheaper way?

Reenie
10-02-2009, 22:52
Hello

I have to move some stuff back to London from Moscow as I am leaving. Has anyone sent anything from Moscow to London a cheap way i.e. not the stupid DHL prices? It doesn't need to be a quick service airfreight service.

I have about 60kg excess baggage which makes it about 900 quid to take back on the airplane as excess baggage but can't seem to find anything else cheaper!!

Thanks

BeachBum
11-02-2009, 07:37
Hello

I have to move some stuff back to London from Moscow as I am leaving. Has anyone sent anything from Moscow to London a cheap way i.e. not the stupid DHL prices? It doesn't need to be a quick service airfreight service.

I have about 60kg excess baggage which makes it about 900 quid to take back on the airplane as excess baggage but can't seem to find anything else cheaper!!

Thanks
Yeah, it is called a Russian Post Office. they send large packages also. Or company Corstjens.

kazachka
17-02-2009, 22:57
What's the max weight per box when shipping via the Russian post?

Qdos
17-02-2009, 23:25
Got a feeling EMS limit consignments to 30kg per case/box, both domestically and internationally. It'll be on the following website somewhere...

Карта сайта | EMS Почта России (http://www.emspost.ru/en/sitemap/)

Random
18-02-2009, 12:29
I am also looking at this as well

Someone told me BA have a flat rate per extra bag - the thing I need to look into is that then an extra 20kgs per bag you pay for - so if your 60kg over you need to purchase 3 extra bags ...

Not sure its that simple...

Any one done this ?

Qdos
18-02-2009, 12:45
Being 44Kg over stowed baggage limits on Aeroflot in November 2008 cost me a mahoosive 440GBP, which was significantly more than it cost me to fly in a relatively comfortable seat; even though I weigh more than double my excess baggage! :gay:

All airlines rip off passengers carrying over 20kg/30kg in the hold...

lochnessmonster
25-02-2009, 20:34
I am also looking at this as well

Random, What? Are you leaving Moscow then? And I'm just coming back! There is always the 'can I discuss this with you in private' handshake with the baggage handlers that has worked for me a couple of times, but getting harder and harder as my Russian get worse and worse!:rolleyes:

To Reenie, search for the old post office threads, I've mentioned that I sent a lot of stuff back, all arrived in about a month, secure/unopened. On several occasions, five boxes of clothes/personal effects and a bag of books (which had to be sent separately). If you can make the effort to get down to the main post office and spend a couple of hours, it's cheap and relatively straightforward...

cdrive
25-02-2009, 20:38
I'm coming to London in April and can offer to carry 40kgs for you as I have a gold card and will only have my hand luggage with me.
But u'll have to collect it from the london airport as I don't want to move it around with me :)

urtapxe
25-02-2009, 23:44
with BA you can maybe present some of it as sporting equipment...

it is not as though you can only put skis into a ski bag..

In addition to your free checked baggage allowance, you are allowed to take one of the stated pieces of sporting equipment with you free of charge, provided it meets the following restrictions:

* Each bag must be no more than 90cm x 75cm x 43cm (35.5ins x 29.5ins x 16ins), including the handle, pockets and wheels.
* Each bag must not exceed 23kg (51lbs).

Volga
26-02-2009, 03:32
Also you can pay to take extra bags on BA. It only costs 25 per bag online and I think you can have up to 4, really cheap for up to 23kgs each!!

akin
14-03-2009, 16:32
I just brought a few small items of furniture back to Moscow in boxes on BA, no joke. Was much cheaper paying the 25 quid per item for excess baggage than shipping it. And I think it might be 18 quid if you pay in advance on line?

If you can keep it to 23 kg per item, I definitely recommend this option.

hehehe
10-04-2009, 14:35
If you have someone to visit you to the airport (i.e. they can take your stuff back if my advice does not work) - try asking other passenges with no luggage

not to register your luggage in their name which they will probably refuse, e.g. drugs, explosives

but to register together with you (ideally if there is long queque and you stay for a while and then can bring such no-luggage person from the end of the queque to your place) and to confirm to the relevant official that you travel together - then they usually do not care if the total weight is within the limit even if it is registered in your name

BUell_X1
26-04-2009, 22:11
Small trick, if you have excess bagages, then you can say it is sport related.

In that case Airline normally gives you a better price, depending on the airline.

andrew32
25-05-2009, 22:54
send it in a container overground