PDA

View Full Version : Photos in the metro

Karmak84
03-02-2009, 01:02
Hi guys!

I was just wondering... can you take photos inside metro stations?
What are they strict over here in regards to photo taking?
Thanks

Seb

Margo
03-02-2009, 01:41
All tourists make pics in metro.
If you are not going to install a tripod somewhere in the passage - I guess you can do everything.
Well, if you are going to make a professional pictures - then I predict problems just because whoever could be - metro authorities would be alarmed :). This can be asking for permission etc. But taking pics with regular camera is ok.

Green Tea
03-02-2009, 02:35
Hi guys!

Thanks

Seb

Technically, you're not allowed, for anti-terrorism reasons.

But, it's expected in the central stations, and they won't bother you as long as you don't seem to be making photos that could be used for nefarious purposes. i.e No entry and exit points, no police stations, no employee/uniform photos.

It is the exact same in London, Paris, Berlin, New York and nearly every other big city.

vovik01
03-02-2009, 02:51
Technically, you're not allowed, for anti-terrorism reasons.

i.e No entry and exit points, no police stations, no employee/uniform photos.

It is the exact same in London, Paris, Berlin, New York and nearly every other big city.

Idiots!!! If I'm terrorist, do I need stupid camera? I can use spy camera, Iphone ,etc...
All THIS thinks (patriot act, Moscow rules...etc) not against terrorists !
All this just for ONE reason- to control you own citizens!
Same way in US, same way in Russia....

AndreyS
03-02-2009, 03:38
What if I got caught without a camera? (like the good soldier Svejk)

DDT
03-02-2009, 06:36
I was stopped by Russian security from taking a photograph of a US Embassy building from across the street.

Karmak84
03-02-2009, 07:45
My idea was actually to use a tripod and go professional :-)

Do you think I gt get a permit for taking photos somewhere?

MissAnnElk
03-02-2009, 08:22
My husband got stopped once for taking photos in the metro (he was doing it to show me how to get to one of the kids' schools, so it wasn't a touristy metro . . .) but he explained and they were okay about it.

I know someone else who went early in the morning on weekends to all the pretty metros and took photos.

I think if it is a pretty metro, they know what you are doing. If stopped, I would just show them my photos.

MissAnnElk
03-02-2009, 08:24
I was stopped by Russian security from taking a photograph of a US Embassy building from across the street.

So was my mother-in-law. The embassies don't take too kindly to that, even if you're just all excited to see your own embassy (as she was).

Remington
03-02-2009, 11:45

Taking photo of any embassies in all countries are prohibited for security reason.

DDT
03-02-2009, 12:58
Since I lived directly across the street from it, it wasn't hard to have it in a photo sometimes whether I wanted to or not.

Jay1
03-02-2009, 13:36
Hi guys!

Thanks

Seb

They are quiet tolerant at Revolution Square. Saturday morning around 6am is the best time, but I wouldn't stay more than ten minutes.
The light levels are very low at most of the older stops and you won't be able to use a tripod.

codbutt
04-02-2009, 18:50
No flash allowed on platforms - in case you blind the drivers. Otherwise you're usually OK

celticvodka
19-02-2009, 02:24
Hi there; if you go to the Moscowmetro website ( they even have an English language version) you will find that buried among the passenger regulations it is clearly listed that YOU ARE ALLOWED TO TAKE PHOTOGRAPHS AS AN AMATEUR ( WITHOUT TRIPOD) but any PROF. PHOTOGRAPHY requires a permit. of course if you stand in the middle of a busy entrance during rush hour you will be told to move on.
Easier taking photos in the Moscow Metro than the London Underground...

tiktokman
19-02-2009, 09:24
It has nothing to do with terrorism. It is a RULE like so many other hang overs from the Soviet period. ALL train stations, government buildings and airports are still classified as STRATEGIC TARGETS and therefore photography and filming is OFF LIMITS unless you have prior permission with the old spravka on hand. This also applies to taking photos of ant MILITSIA and SECURITY GOONS too, although they are not strategic targets, just Mafia targets... :ignore:

Qdos
11-03-2009, 03:32
If anyone wants any metro creative photography look no further than...

Pokazuha.ru - Станции метро Москвы [Pub N:841630] (http://www.pokazuha.ru/view/topic.cfm?key_or=841630&f=1&rate_old=10&type=7&lenta_type=2)

robertmf
11-03-2009, 06:22
Geez. Philly and NYC subway riders don't know what they're missing. :rasta:

kirk10071
11-03-2009, 10:36
Geez. Philly and NYC subway riders don't know what they're missing. :rasta:

Yes, yes, it's all so beautiful.

kirk10071
11-03-2009, 11:31
Actually, despite these pictures, the metro is, in point of fact, rather remarkable and one of the best I have encountered.

Judge
11-03-2009, 12:32
If i'm not mistaken,the top right pic is Prospect Mira and the pic was taken a few years ago when there was a blackout in Moscow.

Norwegian Wood
19-03-2009, 13:06
If i'm not mistaken,the top right pic is Prospect Mira and the pic was taken a few years ago when there was a blackout in Moscow.

No, this is regular rush hour (9-11am, 7-9pm). I see this almost every day.

2author: FIRST, as already said, Read the Moscow Subway Rules!
You are allowed to make non-professional pictures (perhaps that means you are not allowed to sell acquired images or to use them in any commercial purposes).
You are not allowed to use professional equipment (tripods, off-camera flash, reflectors, possibly - professional cameras, etc.).

SECOND, beware of local traditions, morals and manners. For example:
If you are spotted taking picture with whatever can take pictures, you have all the chances to get caught and asked to pay stipulated fine (cash only). In general, if "guards of law" see you could pay, they'll make you pay (they have dog's scent for solvents )) )

Thus, if you want to take pictures with impunity, you HAVE to be ready to defend yourself (and your cash) with might and main. Or bring a lawyer along. Anyway I recommend you to be silent and invisible, under and above the ground. And in the sky too. )) Cuz it's a free country!

Ugh, free of law and stuff, I mean.

Norwegian Wood
19-03-2009, 13:10
Oh almost forgotten: if you have excess cash, you can buy yourself a licence for photography. Dunna how exactly, but you obviously can. ))

XXX Rays
21-03-2009, 23:07
terrorists with Iphone ))) funny )))

XXX Rays
21-03-2009, 23:09
Nice pics. Everyday subway views. Does anybody surprize of them?

Maine Surfer
25-03-2009, 12:29
my 5 kopeks

according to the general rules it is officially prohibited to photograph in the metro (until very recently - believe it or not)

it is very doable though. people take snapshots with small cameral all the time with no problem whatsoever).

i ususally encounter problems with my behemoth (canon 5d mk2 with a large flash and 100-400 huge white lens) but then again i eun into problems with this set almost anywhere i go to shoot. only on two occasions i had to pay instant penalties (100 or 200 rubles) to metro's police, other times i talked my way out :) just be nice to the cops, smile, pretend you are a tourist admiring metro's artwork (don't even have to pretend) and show them what you shoot.

Ian G
29-03-2009, 13:16
I've never had a problem taking pictures on the Metro. But then I don't use a flash or tripod and I generally use cameras that are several decades older than I am.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3511/3187273963_e89367feaa_m.jpg

AndreyS
29-03-2009, 13:26
I've never had a problem taking pictures on the Metro. But then I don't use a flash or tripod and I generally use cameras that are several decades older than I am.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3511/3187273963_e89367feaa_m.jpg

Me the same.