PDA

View Full Version : Who else does not write down/use recipes?

85StonePolarBear
10-09-2004, 23:00
I have to confess - I cook 3-5 meals a week, and I just do it as I go along.

I have wanted to write some of my recipes down, especially for this folder but I can't because I don't use any sort of standard measurements when it comes to spices, for example, and my recipes would not be duplicable. Ditto for trying some of the great recipes I see here - I'd probably make so many changes that my result would be very different from the one intended (try to get me to cook anything without heavy garlic, hot pepper, curry powder type spices etc, for instance :) ) I'll also admit that I mess up about 1 time out of every 20 or so, usually by adding too many ingredients that cancel each other out.

Something tells me I am not the only one who cooks this way :).

Moscow Wolf
11-09-2004, 01:35
You can do wonders with a tin of tuna, mayo and tinned corn. It's one thing eating/preparing for yourself and another when yu have guests. I'm past caring to be honest. I'd happily just buy it all in, why spend hours preparing sushi or something for the likes of Ned Kelly or Braders. they'd be happy with fried fish fingers and a shandy. But after all that, it is nice to be given a treat like I received at Boscoe's the other week. Obviously, these people take pride in preparing food for their guests.

Anyone wish to invite a hungry Wolf to dinner, I promise to behave, bring good wine and flowers?

koba65
11-09-2004, 02:19
Originally posted by 85StonePolarBear
I have to confess - I cook 3-5 meals a week, and I just do it as I go along.

I have wanted to write some of my recipes down, especially for this folder but I can't because I don't use any sort of standard measurements when it comes to spices, for example, and my recipes would not be duplicable. Ditto for trying some of the great recipes I see here - I'd probably make so many changes that my result would be very different from the one intended (try to get me to cook anything without heavy garlic, hot pepper, curry powder type spices etc, for instance :) ) I'll also admit that I mess up about 1 time out of every 20 or so, usually by adding too many ingredients that cancel each other out.

Something tells me I am not the only one who cooks this way :).

That's my cooking method. I go on instinct. The only downside is when I hit a culinary "home run" I can never completely remember the exact quantities I used in the dish.

85StonePolarBear
11-09-2004, 09:59
Originally posted by koba65
That's my cooking method. I go on instinct. The only downside is when I hit a culinary "home run" I can never completely remember the exact quantities I used in the dish.

Same here - a "home run" dinner last night inspired this post.

As for cooking, it is something that I enjoy doing (may be a substitute for DIY and woodworking, for which I no longer have the time and the inclination); usually when I have no time (or am so hungry that I can't wait or don't have the energy to shop and cook) I just eat out.

DPG
11-09-2004, 12:47
Cooking by feel is definitely the way to go - recipe books are just reference guides...I don't think I've ever used a recipe from a book 'as was'- always alter and customise in someway.

The ability to 'feel' and sense when cooking and menu planning is what seperates great chefs and cooks from mediocre ones.

Regarding the 'home-runs' you two mention above, the best thing to do is simply note down quantities of what you used...chances are that the dishes you experiment with in this manner are some of your favourites anyway...keep working at it and eventually you will have a record of the perfect chilli con carne, lasagne or whatever!

It was doing exactly that which allowd me to develop an almost perfect (at least for my taste) Chicken Tikka Marsala. After finding that none of the Indian places here really cut the mustard (as compared with my favourite places back in London), I set about the task of doing it from scratch and after about twenty tries, hit the jackpot!!

Sunstorm
11-09-2004, 17:27
Originally posted by DPG
Cooking by feel is definitely the way to go - recipe books are just reference guides...I don't think I've ever used a recipe from a book 'as was'- always alter and customise in someway.

Absolutely! I love to cook, people love eating what I cook. But I never use any recipes as they are... just for an idea - maybe.

But with baking - I still try to keep to the original recipe, at least with the batter.

85StonePolarBear
11-09-2004, 19:54
Thing is more that I wanted to share the recipe - for me a botched meal is as much fun to prepare as a home run - most of my mistakes are just too spicy as opposed to burnt or completely inedible.

I used to bake before I came here; I also started with a recipe but modified it, often adding alcoholic beverages which I always have on hand, and cutting down on eggs which I never cared for too much.

Kshisya
14-09-2004, 18:04
wow :eek: I missed something fery fery inFeristing! :evilgrin:

Originally posted by Moscow Wolf

Anyone wish to invite a hungry Wolf to dinner, I promise to behave, bring good wine and flowers?

:evilgrin:

....:rolleyes:...khotya actually....:rolleyes: ....naaaaaaah, not worth it! :p

85StonePolarBear
14-09-2004, 18:09
There is a hungry polar bear stuck in his office waiting for Jack's delivery as he needs to spend the night here transfering files :(