PDA

View Full Version : What nationality are you?

Blaked
10-09-2004, 14:32
I'm just curious

85StonePolarBear
10-09-2004, 14:36
Human being (or is it polar bear - I forget)!

yankee@moscow
10-09-2004, 14:41
I guess since the EU exists that European is kind of a nationality, but if I was German or French, I think that would probably piss me off!:)

Kshisya
10-09-2004, 14:48
:rolleyes: these lazy arses men! :rolleyes:

:p

http://www.expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4181

allice
10-09-2004, 14:52
Oh come on. They haven't been around forever. Like some. :p

Kshisya
10-09-2004, 14:57
Originally posted by allice
Oh come on. They haven't been around forever. Like some. :p

so what? :p

allice
10-09-2004, 15:00
Originally posted by Kshisya
so what? :p

So the bird in my avatar in dangerously low right above the girls's head in yours. [poop] :D :p

(nevermind me)

allice
10-09-2004, 15:00
I better change it back. :)

Kshisya
10-09-2004, 15:11
:D well what ME sees is that some times it is your avatar on top, some times it's mine :rolleyes: so you never know who's in the best position :p:p:p

85StonePolarBear
10-09-2004, 15:13
Well, now, we have 2 bats on top of Kshisya's head....does that mean she has bats in her belfry ;) ;) ;) ;)?

allice
10-09-2004, 15:21
can't wait for the day to be over :nerd:

polly
10-09-2004, 15:26
god tell me about it! and it's slower than molasses on here...

85StonePolarBear
10-09-2004, 15:28
I'm probably best off not exerting myself today, or I'd be out taking a walk right now - Friday after 13.00 in September might as well be vacation time.

Kshisya
10-09-2004, 15:28
Originally posted by polly
god tell me about it! and it's slower than molasses on here...

;) I could speed it up but not sure I will be able to handle the reaction :D so better sit queit till the the :drink: time ;)

Sidney Bliss
10-09-2004, 15:29
Bunch of bloody amateurs.

allice
10-09-2004, 15:29
just | 90 | more | minutes

I feel sorta weird because usually my Fridays are very busy :)

another cup of tea? :D

85StonePolarBear
10-09-2004, 15:30
90 minutes? What time do you start? We work 10-18 here.

Kshisya
10-09-2004, 15:32
Originally posted by Sidney Bliss
Bunch of bloody amateurs.
:rolleyes: yea look who talks! wanna show us cl**** old fart pants? :p:p:p

allice tea??? maybe something stronger?? like :rolleyes:..coffee?? :D

85StonePolarBear
10-09-2004, 15:34
Originally posted by Kshisya

allice tea??? maybe something stronger?? like :rolleyes:..coffee?? :D

Or absinthe? ;)

polly
10-09-2004, 15:46
i'd just be happy if someone could determine the vent from which an endless stream of freezing air keeps blowing on me... and then effing break it.

Blaked
10-09-2004, 15:53
Well of course Evro isn't a nationality, merely a style of remont. That was for if you are from Europe outside the UK and Russia.

ghurka12
10-09-2004, 16:31
Is this posting aimed at Canadian 1979 ???

85StonePolarBear
10-09-2004, 16:33
There are many other things that should be aimed at "Canadian" "1979"!

Polia Ivanova
10-09-2004, 16:33
I thought we did this one before...

Couldn't tick both Russian and British even holding Ctrl key...

and I just luved this "Evropean" bit...

Moscow Wolf
10-09-2004, 17:45
English. You would never have guessed would you!

Why is it so cold in my flat these days, do you think that I should ask the landlady to put some glass back in the windows!

Tatiana cat
10-09-2004, 17:52
Landlady, two more bottles of vodka for Wolf and he'll be fine...:)

Blaked
10-09-2004, 18:03
Polina - it's a matter of how you identify yourself. I'd say that in America, if someone was born there to immigrant parents, speaks English, and mixes socially with Americans at least until age 18 or so, s/he usually considers him/herself American. About 30% of my high school was IndoPak and they weren't socially isolated, although they were more likely to have IndoPak friends. The same is usually true in Britain at least among the middle class. This isn't true in all places. (i.e. Japan, Arabia)

peyote
10-09-2004, 18:18
there was a time when we copied the americans...

peyote
10-09-2004, 18:18
and a time we copied the soviets...

peyote
10-09-2004, 18:20
now the two live side by side...
:D

peyote
10-09-2004, 18:22
but of course this is my nationality... beachan!

Polia Ivanova
10-09-2004, 19:11
Originally posted by Blaked
Polina - it's a matter of how you identify yourself.

I identify myself as British of Russian origin because I accepted the UK as my home and I do not have plans to come back to Russia for good. Especially after the changes in pension legislation they have made.

But I have difficulties with this identity in the UK. When people pick up my accent they ask me what I am doing in the UK how I got here etc. They won’t ask Indian or Pakistani about it and they do not consider me as an ethnic minority. For them I am just a foreigner living here and it will never change. I am not intimidated by these questions at all. The thing that irritates me though is that there are so many stereotypes about Russians here (vodka drinking mail order brides poor people buying football clubs) but I think Western people living in Moscow are subject to the stereotypical perception too.

I do not care much about my Russian nationality. I applied for a new passport in Russian embassy over five months ago and it is still not with me. Russia doesn’t give a damn about me and it is more or less mutual. Cannot even go there now without a passport.

Moscow Wolf
10-09-2004, 20:10
Polia, don't worry about it girl, you are whoever and whatever you wish to be. When I go back to the UK now, I get the same question too, i.e. 'where are you from Mate?'

I'm probably one of the few Brits that gets stopped coming off the aircraft at Heathrow and asked to show his passport. It must be the Italian suit, leather jacket, shades and violin case I guess.

I consider myself to be more European than English these days, but you can take the boy out of England, but not England out of the boy. Anyway, everyone I talk to there now, is only going on about getting out of the UK.

You should keep a little of your Russian accent and drop that Lancs/Yorks one you have developed. Like the great Frenchman, Maurice Chevalier who once asked his Hollywood Producer, 'How is my English accent?'

'Great', said the Producer. 'No problems'.

Chevalier then replies, 'Yes, but is it to much?'

Sank Eavens for little Girls........... ;)

quincy
10-09-2004, 21:23
Wolfie and Polia, talking of stereotypes you have probably come across this one, but here it is anyway:

A Brit, a Frenchman and a Russian are viewing a painting of Adam and Eve frolicking in the Garden of Eden.

"Look at their reserve, their calm," muses the Brit. "They must be British."

"Nonsense," the Frenchman disagrees. "They're naked, and so beautiful. Clearly, they are French."

"No clothes, no shelter," the Russian points out, "they have only an apple to eat, and they're being told this is paradise. They are definitely Russian!"

quincy
10-09-2004, 21:28
Originally posted by peyote
but of course this is my nationality... beachan!

Esto es mi nacionalidad tambien (or something similar, portuguese-speakers always get it wrong when they venture into Spanish):eek:

Blaked
11-09-2004, 14:27
Polina - Britain is a bit of a 'melting pot,' meaning that you're Russian but your children will be British. This is true of most countries in the Americas. Race and religion are more divisive factors than ethnicity in many melting-pot countries (ie Asians in Australia,) and in places like Brazil, even these are obscured.

Maine Surfer
13-09-2004, 12:23
At least you all identify with some country.

Russia doesn't give a damn about anybody, even people living in Russia, not jyst you.

But who am I? Mutated alien or alienated mutant?

jules
13-09-2004, 13:45
Oh, Canada, Terre de nos aïeux,
Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux! :D

Matt Bury
13-09-2004, 14:53
Has anyone here found that living and integrating yourself in a foreign country changes you so much that you end up a foreigner even in your own country?

Polia Ivanova
13-09-2004, 15:54
Originally posted by Matt Bury
Has anyone here found that living and integrating yourself in a foreign country changes you so much that you end up a foreigner even in your own country?

right said

Last time I visited Russia a lot of things I couldn't understand - Russian humour, jokes about mafia seemed so sad. Job ads which require not older than 35 years olds, as if in 36 you have passed it and lost all your knowledge and experience.

Probably what they call Motherland is not only the place but also the time. It is like an old cinema theatre that was burnt in my native town (somebody fancied a piece of land it occupied). The place will never be the same.

85StonePolarBear
13-09-2004, 16:04
I feel like a tourist every time I visit the US, and if it were not for the fact that my parents are aging I would not bother visiting. Every time I am in NYC, I head to Brighton Beach for a cold bottle of Borjomi among other things!

Gay Dad
13-09-2004, 16:07
[deleted]

Braders
13-09-2004, 16:10

I do feel out of place back in the UK but that usually passes after a couple of days, i don't know the names of nearly all the streets in the center of Manchester anymore, thankfully i still have a memory after all my years here ;)

I certainly don't feel like a foreigner, and if i forgot how to laugh at and understand British humour i would move back home tomorrow!!!

Gay Dad
13-09-2004, 16:21
Brady-dady-dady-nady...

You is da censorship maaan! You is da controller! And you is so slow!!!

Blaked
13-09-2004, 16:22

There is a book about this phenomenon entitled "I'm a Stranger Here, Myself" - it is by an American who returns to the US after 20-something years. I've been told it's excellent and I plan to get it.

Amazon.com: I'm a Stranger Here Myself : Notes on Returning to America After Twenty Years Away (9780767903813): Bill Bryson: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/517A4TH2Q4L.@@AMEPARAM@@517A4TH2Q4L

exyabloko
15-09-2004, 19:22
But I have difficulties with this identity in the UK. When people pick up my accent they ask me what I am doing in the UK how I got here etc. They won’t ask Indian or Pakistani about it and they do not consider me as an ethnic minority. For them I am just a foreigner living here and it will never change.

The same here.
I am Russian American, recently relocated from NYC to New England MA, and people constantly wondering here:
-What is your cute accent?
-Where are you originally from?
-How long do you planning to live here?
-Why did you move to USA?

I would say these questions are very irritating.

Strangers in New York have never asked me such questions.

Zephyr
16-09-2004, 04:31
Um hmm I'm just for movin out of the cities. It is indeed interesting times.

koba65
16-09-2004, 07:52
Originally posted by exyabloko
The same here.
I am Russian American, recently relocated from NYC to New England MA, and people constantly wondering here:

They're just being friendly and curious. Would you rather they ignore you? If so, I you might try moving back to a big city. Countryfolk are much more outgoing...

legspreader
20-09-2004, 14:33
i made my first trip back to the states awhile back. it felt like i was on spring break in cabo san lucas mexico. everything was familiar but still foriegn and by the end of my trip i was ready to leave and go home in this case moscow....

Kingwillhe
20-09-2004, 15:03
I'm Canadian but I was born on an Air Force base in France while we actually lived in Belgium and then I married a Russian lady but secretly wish I was from Quebec so I would have a righteous cause to fight for and knew something about wine...which I like…a lot!

Scus me...need a refill.

Maine Surfer
20-09-2004, 15:31
Dear hybrid mutated aliens or mutated alienated hybrids

WELCOME TO THE CLUB! :D

lyndsay
20-09-2004, 17:09
where is that?

we're sort of Irish refugees.... 75.000 alcoholics clinging to a rock in the Irish sea... now that's what I call home..

"Quoconque jeceris stabit" Whichever way you throw me, I shall stand.

Polia Ivanova
20-09-2004, 19:22
Originally posted by lyndsay
where is that?

we're sort of Irish refugees.... 75.000 alcoholics clinging to a rock in the Irish sea... now that's what I call home..

Isle of Man - I have seen them legs in one travel commercial... SHould go there one day...

Smurfette
20-09-2004, 19:25
It's very pretty (I have family there) but after a week it feels a little isolated - sort of place where everybody knows what everyone else is doing!

Filimon
20-09-2004, 19:28
Originally posted by Polia Ivanova
Isle of Man - I have seen them legs in one travel commercial... SHould go there one day...

:D I have just remembered Paul Whitehouse and The Fast Show: "I am from the Isle of Man" :)

Kingwillhe
20-09-2004, 20:23
Doesn't Jethro Tull live there now?

lyndsay
21-09-2004, 08:01
and Norman Wisdom... Norman used to fly around the Island on a BIG honda gold wing, which was quite funny as he's about 4 ft tall... I think he miight have died... I loved Norman... great films..

but like Smurfette says, it really is an isolated place where everybody knows everybody.. but a great places for a break although getting there is a pain in the bottom...

any manx in Moscow... PM me, please..:D

yes... Paul whitehouse (Fast show) summed it up, really.... place is full of nutters.... but I escaped:D

Moscow Wolf
11-10-2004, 00:23
Don't tell me that old Norman is dead, please no!!

Maine Surfer
11-10-2004, 11:11
The same here.

How about being asked these questions after 8 years living in the US?
Oh, you're from Russia? How do you like it here? and then Welcome to America! After 8 years. The questions are asked out of curiosity and politeness, but they so annoying after a while, agree

Jet
11-10-2004, 14:22
The same here.

Same thing in Holland, I mean identical set of questions, last one is Why did you move to Holland?

Maine Surfer
11-10-2004, 14:51
Jet, I thought you reside in Moscow????:confused:

Canadian1979
13-10-2004, 09:25
I've been deceiving you all. I'm actually a Swazilander! My name is Khizitho Mkhaliphi :agree: :agree: :agree: :D ;)

Shatneresque
13-10-2004, 15:37
Originally posted by lyndsay
where is that?

Actually, a cultural crossroads between Celts and Vikings; the language is a hybrid of Goidelic (i.e., Irish/Scots Gaelic, as opposed to Welsh/Cornish/Breton) and Scandinavian. One of the oldest continually functioning democracies in Europe (maybe the world) and home of Manx cats and the 150-ft Laxey waterwheel.

Once spent the last two weeks of June there, attended the big folk music festival in Douglas, the capital. Warm and humid climate, very lush and green---a gorgeous island.

The emblem on the flag is a heraldic charge called a triskelion. As I recall, Man is a bit like Canada, in that it has its own parliament and the UK monarch appoints a governor general.... (Right?!)

JTK

plastique
14-11-2004, 12:58
Every time i get into a gypsy cab...where are you from...why are you here...oh your russian is so good...no it isn't...i just have to tell the same stuff over and over....but hey! I put a smile on my face and chat happily and get free rides!!!

ps...the last guy asked if i was yugo-slavian...do i look esp. yogo-slavian? i don't know anyone who is?! I guess i don't look that American to people here because when i say that is where i am from no one believes me....

Filimon
14-11-2004, 14:53
The same here.

I agree. Quite often they sound so...condescending... like "wow, you English is so good (for a dumb Russian), do you like it here (compared to that hellhole you have come from), what do you do (oh, you little thing...you managed to get a job here!)" Erm, guys, I am a f..king solicitor, I am the one to tell you whether you contract of employment is not construed so they get you fired after 3 years with no pay, I am the one who goes to court and sorts out YOUR mess, tells you what to say and when to say it so don't get into that mess and verifies that that was really your signature! I stay till midnight in the office to make sure that your company does not get screwed over in that £50m share purchase agreement. Oh, yes and my English is BETTER than yours - get over it!:)

DPG
15-11-2004, 13:09
Fil - I think you are mistaking interest and curiosity for rudeness...

half crazed visigoth
15-11-2004, 18:36
And I would also add that your English is not as good as you think it is if you use construe in that context...but good attempt... Actually I find myself being mistaken for a foreigner when I go on holiday with brits...Wearing a Russian hockey shirt and hanging around with Russkies I get told " you speak good English" to which I reply- "like a native in fact". I love my countymen sometimes:) Probably as much as you filimon

Filimon
15-11-2004, 18:38
what's wrong with "contract... is construed?" It's a bog-standard phrase in English law.

half crazed visigoth
15-11-2004, 18:47
Wooooo....apologies.. forgot legal beagles like yourself use English in a funny way. I thought you meant constructed, which would have been appropriate. Sorry, m'learned friend, will not transgress again , and think twice before engaging brain....

DJ Biscuit
15-11-2004, 18:49
Filimon is right. A basic principle of contract interpretation is that the agreement is to be construed as a whole. So in arbitration the legal eagles have to examine the contract as a whole to determine the sprit of the contract and not simply single word interpretation. Thus the expression used by Filimon. It is perfectly correct English.

DJ Biscuit
15-11-2004, 18:50
Of course I could be wrong; though I have been in court several times it was not in a professional capacity. ;)

sir Gay
16-11-2004, 14:49
is "gay" a nationality? :)

Halyavshik
16-11-2004, 14:52
Originally posted by sir Gay

Only if San Francisco is a country.

Fa-Q!
16-11-2004, 14:53
I think it's an ailment.

Sidney Bliss
16-11-2004, 14:53

You bloody fancy me!!!

sir Gay
16-11-2004, 14:54
Originally posted by Halyavshik
Only if San Francisco is a country.

holland (stuffed with gays like a goose with apples) is a country! :)

sir Gay
16-11-2004, 14:56
Originally posted by Sidney Bliss
You bloody fancy me!!!

and DO you like it! :)

sir Gay
16-11-2004, 14:57
Originally posted by Outlaw
I think it's an ailment.

you're wrong, doctor Feelgood! ;)

Sidney Bliss
16-11-2004, 15:17
and DO you like it! :)

Er, Yeah! Slap a wig on you, shove a couple of melons up yer jumper, get you to eat your mum's lipstick and it could be happy days all round!

Benedikt
16-11-2004, 15:35
since the brits have their own catogory ( are they NOT europeans?) i also don't want to be lumped together with the rest of the 'evropeans'... I AM FROM AUSTRIA!!

Ned Kelly
16-11-2004, 15:36
Originally posted by Benedikt
since the brits have their own catogory ( are they NOT europeans?) i also don't want to be lumped together with the rest of the 'evropeans'... I AM FROM AUSTRIA!!

so you're german?

DJ Biscuit
16-11-2004, 15:53

Yes, if you were born on the island of Lesbos! ;)

Filimon
16-11-2004, 16:10
Originally posted by Ned Kelly
so you're german?

He ain't German! He is from that little but proud country called "Schwarzenegro" :)

sir Gay
17-11-2004, 11:21
Originally posted by DJ Biscuit
Yes, if you were born on the island of Lesbos! ;)

i wish :)

Benedikt
17-11-2004, 17:08
ja, und that negro will be one day your president and gott help you all!

sir Gay
17-11-2004, 17:09

is someone here trying to be more politically incorrect than me?! :mad:

Filimon
17-11-2004, 17:28

Erm, somehow I think I will survive that! :)

gadfly
21-11-2004, 11:37
is someone here trying to be more politically incorrect than me?! :mad:

Hey, I thought I was more politically incorrect.... Canadian 79 is still the biggest bunghole.

sir Gay
22-11-2004, 11:52
Originally posted by gadfly
Hey, I thought I was more politically incorrect.... Canadian 79 is still the biggest bunghole.

the holy trinity us :)

lyndsay
22-11-2004, 18:35
Originally posted by Shatneresque
Actually, a cultural crossroads between Celts and Vikings; the language is a hybrid of Goidelic (i.e., Irish/Scots Gaelic, as opposed to Welsh/Cornish/Breton) and Scandinavian. One of the oldest continually functioning democracies in Europe (maybe the world) and home of Manx cats and the 150-ft Laxey waterwheel.

Once spent the last two weeks of June there, attended the big folk music festival in Douglas, the capital. Warm and humid climate, very lush and green---a gorgeous island.

The emblem on the flag is a heraldic charge called a triskelion. As I recall, Man is a bit like Canada, in that it has its own parliament and the UK monarch appoints a governor general.... (Right?!)

JTK

That sums it up! The three legs has a motto - roughly translated:
' whichever way you throw me. I shall stand.'