PDA

View Full Version : Natural Yogurt

Polia Ivanova
09-09-2004, 18:15
The reason why I make yogurt is that I do not eat anything with added sugar and unfortunately it limits my choice when I shop, so I do my own…

Natural Yogurt

0.5 l or a Pint of Milk (any, will work with both full fat and skimmed), 2-3 teaspoonfuls of LIVE yogurt (Danon’s Actimel or Activia are all right), a pan with a lid and an old coat (or tea cosy, but I still prefer an old coat).

Boil the milk, leave it to cool till it is about 50-55 degrees (it takes about 40 min to an hour, when you touch it with a clean finger it should feel quite hot but not really burning the finger) mix with live yogurt, cover, wrap the pan in an old coat or cover it with a tea cosy and in 4-6 hours it is thick and ready (I usually do it overnight). If you try whether it is ready, do not use the same spoon again without washing it – you need only good bacteria to be there.

You can use this yogurt again for making yogurt.

I keep my yogurt in fridge for over a week. Use it for salad dressings; mix with berries, sauces (mixed with mint for something lambi).It is cheap, healthy and sugar-free.

boscoe
09-09-2004, 20:23
The world want's to know - will it work using a new coat???

;)

trebor
09-09-2004, 23:00
Great thread.
If there was an olympic sport for yohurt making the Indians would take Gold, silver and bronze everytime.
Use Milk powder instead of fresh milk. Use slightly more powder ( or as much as you dare) to water than quoted on the can and follow the instructions above for yoghurt you can stand your spoon up in.
Its a great base for many recipes.

boscoe
09-09-2004, 23:06
Sorry if I was flippant earlier – yes it’s a great thread…I was actually stupid enough to buy a 'yoghurt maker' in the UK - then I discovered you only needed to keep the 'mix' at a certain temperature...

My tip- try condensed milk (if you can get it here) for a rich creamy yoghurt. (nice but not as healthy)

Olim
10-09-2004, 09:36
Actimel and Activa have added sugar don't they? Almost 17g of the stuff in every little bottle- much more than in a standard ready-to-eat yoghurt off the shelf........

trebor
10-09-2004, 10:21
.................hang the yoghurt in a muslin cloth in the fridge over a bowl over night.
Next day you have the simplest form of cheese known to man.
You can then mix salt, garlic puree into it or sundried tomatoes or pesto, avocado and lime juice etc. Great with bread.

Polia Ivanova
10-09-2004, 10:46
Originally posted by Olim
Actimel and Activa have added sugar don't they? Almost 17g of the stuff in every little bottle- much more than in a standard ready-to-eat yoghurt off the shelf........

Yes it just makes the first set of yogurt a bit more sugary. 2-3 teaspoonfuls have less sugar than entire pack of actimel (and sugar doesn't breed)

That is why I do my own - going pro-biotic really made me feel good but Actimel is sweeter than Red Bull...things that they do not mention in the commercial.