PDA

View Full Version : Kindle book reader in Moscow?

tgma
29-01-2009, 14:42
Has anyone used, or seen anyone using, an Amazon Kindle electronic book reader in Moscow?
I'm interested in getting one, but I have this feeling that you can't download books if you're not in the US. If there were some way round it, that would be cool.

Alternatively, has anyone else had a good experience with an electronic book reader here? Preferably one that works with a Mac, and can deal with RSS feeds.

Thanks in advance

OuterSpace
08-03-2009, 00:30
Kindle can be used without activating the wireless feature while you are traveling outside the US or wireless service area. All content you purchase from the Kindle Store is saved to Your Media Library on Amazon.com. This allows you to download your books, newspapers and magazines to your computer and transfer items via Kindle's USB connection.

Also check this site

nerdgirl | a girl, some gadgets and a lot of geek amazon kindle outside of the US (http://www.nerdgirl.com/2008/07/29/amazon-kindle-outside-the-us/)

I also plan to buy Kindle in future but i am waiting its new release..

TD
08-03-2009, 02:54
I have been reading books on a palm pilot (several generations of them) for more than 10 years now... over Christmas I got a 2nd gen iPod Touch, which has now replaced the palm as my book reading device. Battery life was my main complaint with the palm, and the iPod will go forever if you are just reading on it. I use the same software program - eReader (free in the app store), so all the books I have collected over the years plug right in with no problem. The screen is a decent size, and the fonts are adjustable. You can read in both upright and landscape modes, and when you get tired of reading you can listen to music, watch a movie or TV show, check your email, browse the net, or call a friend via Skype with the built-in wireless.

Amazon has just released a iPhone/iTouch Kindle app as well, so you would have access to all of the Kindle content - just buy the content via your browser and the iPhone/iPod will automatically sync it when you go online.

In my opinion for $350 you get a lot more value for your money buying a 16gb iTouch... for less than $250 you can get the 8gb version

robertmf
08-03-2009, 04:16
Stealing Books For The Kindle Is Trivially Easy (http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/12/02/stealing-books-for-the-kindle-is-trivially-easy/)

google on something like [Kindle bittorrent]

Matt24
08-03-2009, 09:57
Slight side track, but possibly helpful, in my humble opinion the Sony Reader is much superior, odd for Sony they seem to have gone universal, it'll pretty much run anything, other than the kimble stuff from Amazon - huge library resources,(Waterstones / e-books on board / e.book.com, many of the University presses) and lots of free stuff - at least if you have an interest in Harry Potter or Organic Chemistry, battery goes on forever, (claim 7000 pages between recharges), I know it's taken me on two round trips Moscow to San Francisco without plugging it in - it works wonderfully with my Macbook Pro, and you can store the library on Google.docs for free. The wireless thing, isn't a major concern for me, if I need to, i swap SD cards from the phone / or update straight from the Mac.

I've been reading the newspaper on a chum's kimble these last few weeks, again IMHO the sony is more comfortable to use, I bought this brilliant 'lit page' attachment in Heathrow, really cool if you're eyesight is no longer what it was.

Matt

tgma
10-03-2009, 10:12
Thanks for all your responses - I have seen a friend's Sony 505, and it does look quite good - it's amazingly thin, and I have a bunch of PDFs that I can put on to it. Plus the Calibre software is great for getting stuff on to it, and I think it works with an RSS feed to get news.

Still a bit of a luxury, though.

OuterSpace
11-03-2009, 16:58
BTW Amazon announced next generation of Kindle
check this out

Amazon.com: Kindle Wireless Reading Device (6" Display, U.S. Wireless): Kindle Store@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41JqCiinp8L.@@AMEPARAM@@41JqCiinp8L