PDA

View Full Version : Struggling with a foreign language?

mosaikmum
29-01-2009, 12:24
Came across this interesting article today......I'd actually heard similar from a Russian teacher a few years ago, she told me "Don't try too hard to understand everything, just let the language wash over you and you'll get a feel for the rhythm and pattern of the language".....

Victoria News Article (http://www.victoria.ac.nz/home/about/newspubs/news/ViewNews.aspx?id=2455&newslabel=) :10189:

RRM
29-01-2009, 13:05
Came across this interesting article today......I'd actually heard similar from a Russian teacher a few years ago, she told me "Don't try too hard to understand everything, just let the language wash over you and you'll get a feel for the rhythm and pattern of the language".....

Victoria News Article (http://www.victoria.ac.nz/home/about/newspubs/news/ViewNews.aspx?id=2455&newslabel=) :10189:

I want to believe it because once you start getting into the rules, you will notice there are just as many exceptions to the rules as well. But once you start observing how people speak, read it and use it, it sounds a lot better than in the class without knowing the rules. I think you need a combination of both but just dont spend too much effort understanding everything.

MissAnnElk
29-01-2009, 13:20
I want to believe it because once you start getting into the rules, you will notice there are just as many exceptions to the rules as well. But once you start observing how people speak, read it and use it, it sounds a lot better than in the class without knowing the rules. I think you need a combination of both but just dont spend too much effort understanding everything.

That's how we learn out native tongues, isn't it? More by copying what we hear and studying it later.

herald1973
29-01-2009, 14:16
This is like the same approach my russian teacher is applying.

First of all I have to say I am mess learning languages.

I got a bit upset a while ago and told him that it seems I'm not learning anything. Just pronounciation of words I cannot read, and half of them I forget the meaning after one day.
He told me not to worry and to continue, that I will be able in some more time to understand.
The only thing I can say is that I hope so.

But in many ways it is like how I learned Italian, I went there, went to school for one week and after that while working I picked up the language.

But I do not feel that for Russian it is the same, as it also concerns a different alphabet and cannot be compared to other languages I know.

Herald

Adamodeus
29-01-2009, 18:21
That's how we learn out native tongues, isn't it? More by copying what we hear and studying it later.
Precisely! Which is why native speakers are usually terrible at telling the rules of their native language. And make ridiculous mistakes (like "your" instead of "you're" for the English speakers).

DDT
29-01-2009, 21:34
Perhaps he holds stock in Ipod!

I think we should all just face the fact that most people just suck at learning languages.

mosaikmum
30-01-2009, 01:38
I think we should all just face the fact that most people just suck at learning languages.

:11629: I know I do! :)

germes
13-02-2009, 22:20
Precisely! Which is why native speakers are usually terrible at telling the rules of their native language. And make ridiculous mistakes (like "your" instead of "you're" for the English speakers).

I guess you are right. And this is why you will never understand a phrase with russians F-words learning the language just using school rules :) I'm Russian and work in UK. Never seen "#ocking hell!" in a school book! :) And have never heard it living in USA as well. So if you not living in a country and not speaking to natives it's very difficult to start speaking well.

PS. the more I deal with Scots the more I realize I can't speak English :)

MickeyTong
13-02-2009, 23:34
PS. the more I deal with Scots the more I realize I can't speak English :)

Or maybe, the more you deal with Scots the more you realize they can't speak English.