PDA

View Full Version : French Toast Batter

Halyavshik
09-09-2004, 09:56
I know this is probably REALLY easy for all you aspiring Julia Childs, but can anyone tell me what the batter for French toast is ? Is it just eggs, eggs and milk, anything else ?

First Time Poster, Long Time Listener,
Amanda

pengwn9
09-09-2004, 10:35
I put cinnamon and vanilla extract in mine. Add those to the egg before you put the milk in. You need thick slices of bread with a dense crumb or your French toast will fall apart when you dip it.

And sorghum syrup to pour over the top.....oooh wee.

trebor
09-09-2004, 10:59
Yes, cinnamon, pinch of nutmeg, sugar, eggs and milk.
Leave the toast in over night. Fry on a griddle or in a frying pan with a little oil.
Serve dusted with sugar powder, honey or maple syrup.

Add a couple more eggs to the mix. Butter the bread, cut diagonaly and place in a oven proof dish. Scatter on some sultanas and flaked almonds. Pour over the egg mix and bake as for bread and butter pudding.

Halyavshik
09-09-2004, 11:16
Thanks for the quick responses. Would it be possible to be a tad bit more specific for the non-culinarily inclined ? I mean, how many eggs and how much milk, etc ?

DPG
09-09-2004, 11:27
Have a go at this one:

4 (1/2 inch) slices bread
1 egg
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 pinch salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 pinch ground nutmeg
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup milk
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS:
Whisk the egg to blend. Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a saucepan and allow to cool slightly. Whisk the sugar, salt and spices into the egg. When the butter has cooled slightly, slowly drizzle it in to the egg, whisking all the time. Add the flour to the egg mixture to make a smooth paste. After it is all added, slowly blend in the milk and finally the vanilla. Whisk until just smooth.

Heat the remaining butter in a large pan over medium heat. Dip a slice of the bread in the batter and allow to soak for 30 seconds. Remove from the batter and allow the excess to drip off. Place the battered slice in the skillet. Repeat with the remaining slices. Cook until golden on one side and then turn.

Serve immediately with a fresh squeeze of lemon juice and a good dusting of icing sugar and perhaps some sliced almonds.

Halyavshik
09-09-2004, 11:37
Thanks, DPG !

DPG
09-09-2004, 11:41
You know, if I leave my flat, turn left and walk for 3 minutes, cross the road and walk for another 3 minutes before wheeling round to the left, I will arrive at your flat!!

Let me know when you are trying it out!!

trebor
09-09-2004, 11:47
DPG,
the recipe looks okay but omit the flour.
A thick batter will not penetrate the toast.
Just whisk all ingredients together and let the toast stand in the mix over night and its ready to fry for breakfast.

DPG
09-09-2004, 11:50
Cool - cheers!

tgma
15-09-2004, 10:27
This is my approach, which I learned from an ex-girlfriend, who had married into a French family:

I use two soup dishes. In one, I dissolve about a tablespoon of sugar into about a cup of milk. I might add cinnamon into this too, but it tends to float on the top of the milk. In the other dish, I beat three eggs. I take the bread, and dip it in the milk, just long enough to absorb the milk, but not so long that it breaks up. I then cover both sides in the beaten egg, and fry in butter.

But this mixing the milk and egg together sounds interesting, and I will give it a go. Maybe this mix binds the cinnamon better.

plastique
15-09-2004, 10:28
nah, cinnamon still floats...

pengwn9
15-09-2004, 15:13
Originally posted by plastique
nah, cinnamon still floats...

That's why you add the cinnamon to the beaten egg before you add the milk.