PDA

View Full Version : Linux

alexstone
26-01-2009, 16:39
A quick note to add a positive experience with linux here in Russia.

I'm a fulltime classical music composer who's made the switch to an all linux environment, and enjoying the experience.

And as a linux user, i rely on stable net, and the local linux servers, to be consistent and up to date.

It is indeed the case here in Russia, and all three of my boots, 32bit Ubuntustudio, 64bit Ubuntustudio, and PPC Kubuntu, that i've never had a problem updating from Russian linux servers, nor got any package that's behind anywhere else.

Linux Russian Style works for me... :piano:

Alex.

markymark
26-01-2009, 17:00
Hi Alex..

My step son is Russian and studying ICT in the UK.. He "converted" to UBUNTU and he is into mixing music etc.

Most of the PCs at work are now on Ubuntu and only MY PC / laptop at home are still with "uncle bill" - purely for comparison - of course ..

Still too many trips required to the command line for me... so I'm still a " bill" man :confused: :(

It is amusing to see Ubuntu in Russian - esp watching a Linux script kiddie inputting on a UK Keyboard - in Russian ...

alexstone
26-01-2009, 17:24
Hi Alex..

My step son is Russian and studying ICT in the UK.. He "converted" to UBUNTU and he is into mixing music etc.

Most of the PCs at work are now on Ubuntu and only MY PC / laptop at home are still with "uncle bill" - purely for comparison - of course ..

Still too many trips required to the command line for me... so I'm still a " bill" man :confused: :(

It is amusing to see Ubuntu in Russian - esp watching a Linux script kiddie inputting on a UK Keyboard - in Russian ...

haha, yes, i saw a colleague here writing script in russian. Weird..

There's quite a few places i've been here that run linux. An audio engineer i know is thinking about it, and has spent some time on my rig, trying out the music creation apps.

He's like you though, still a bit thoughtful about using a terminal....

Alex.

njwoods
28-01-2009, 20:52
hello all,
Well, good for you to make such a big switch. I am thinking of making a switch soon myself, what were the steps you took to do it?

Did you have to back up everything first, then wipe your hard drive? I have done a dvd backup of many of my files, so I hope that is all good now. I am still thinking about a Mac, but Linux is enticing also.