PDA

View Full Version : Temp Res questions

counselwell
26-01-2009, 14:17
I've been reading around here, but I have a few questions as I get started in this process that I hope some of you can help with. I am in St. Petersburg, from the US, not married to a Russian.

1. I was told by my local FMS that to start I should go to the central office (10 Kapitana Voronina) first. With only my translated passports as sufficient to start the process, I could get on the quota. I'm not sure what this person meant - that I could find out if I could get in under the quota, or what. Can anyone confirm this direction? I got on the list today that probably won't come up until next Monday (they see visa citizens only 2 hours a week!).

2. My instructions from my lawyer in Russian may be old, based on what I'm reading here, but they say I need to prove that I don't owe the IRS (in my case) anything. Is this no longer the case?

3. My Russian note mentions Forms 7 and 9 about giving me the right to live here (from the Landlord). The sticky for this section mentions only written consent. I have a доверенность. Is that sufficient?

Thanks in advance!

nyinrussia
26-01-2009, 18:39
1.There is a quota (limited number each year of foreign individuals allowed to recieve TRP) I am assuming the person ment that the quota in Saint Petersberg has not been filled yet... but I would get the process started as soon as possible as it usually fills up quickly ( People who are married to Russian citizens are not subject to the quota)

2. I don't remeber having to submit proof that I don't owe money to the IRS ( I went through the process 1 year ago)

3. The consent from your landlord has to have everyone whose name is on the apartment and be notorized

hope this helps

Zago
26-01-2009, 22:11
counselwell,
May be you can throw some light on the law/rule which allows you to apply for a TRP if you are not applying as a person married to a Russian???
Actulally I am living & working in Russia for over 14 years and looking for ways how I can get a TRP?
thks

counselwell
01-02-2009, 20:18
I can pretty well answer all my questions now, from having gotten in to FMS on Monday by a miracle of Grace.

1. The person who saw me asked only for passports (she demanded that my wife have been there, but relented when I asked for mercy and explained that she was at home with our kids) and then immediately gave us an appointment date (March 30th) and explained that I was now in under the quota. So now by then we have to do all the paperwork.

2. Nope, no IRS or other financial requirements.

3. No docs related to the landlords required for now. She told me they would be required for when they give the TRP to us. I gather she will explain those to us on March 30.

I told her we don't own property, and that didn't matter to her. I guess the quota allows for that. Who knows. I'm not complaining.

MaltSokol
02-02-2009, 17:03
The address is correct. If you apply in the quota you have to go to Kapitana Voronina.

ул. К. Воронина, д. 10 «А»
тел.:596-36-02

Check this link to get the list of documents
Управление Федеральной миграционной службы по г.Санкт-Петербургу и Ленинградской области (http://www.ufms.spb.ru/depdocs.php?id=87)
http://www.ufms.spb.ru/docs/04063.doc

I was asked only forma 9, not 7. And also notarized consent of the registered persons.

ezik
02-02-2009, 22:49
I can pretty well answer all my questions now, from having gotten in to FMS on Monday by a miracle of Grace.

1. The person who saw me asked only for passports (she demanded that my wife have been there, but relented when I asked for mercy and explained that she was at home with our kids) and then immediately gave us an appointment date (March 30th) and explained that I was now in under the quota. So now by then we have to do all the paperwork.

2. Nope, no IRS or other financial requirements.

3. No docs related to the landlords required for now. She told me they would be required for when they give the TRP to us. I gather she will explain those to us on March 30.

I told her we don't own property, and that didn't matter to her. I guess the quota allows for that. Who knows. I'm not complaining.

Just note that your TRP applies to an address as well. So you will have to be properly registered when picking up your TRP. Not sure if the quota winks an eye when looking at the address on your application and the one you're going to be registered on, but common sense and having gotten a TRP myself, I'd say they should be identical...

counselwell
12-08-2009, 16:18
We are expecting our TRP next month now in St. Petersburg (some are amazed that we are not Russians, don't own property, or have a work permit). Here is our new problem:
Our landlady has just expressed reservations about letting us register with her. First of all, what is required, and is it so bad (I've heard it's actually only a problem for Russians registering Russians, but I don't have details)?
Second, what are our options otherwise? I went back to the UFMS and asked their advise. They said it won't affect our application. Just give a new address to the local UFMS after we get the TRP. Can we/should we just find anyone to register us? Neither we nor our landlady want us to leave. She just has heard that it becomes a headache for owners.

Firefox
13-08-2009, 01:15
I am UK citizen - not married to Russian- and have just received my TRP in moscow after 5 months.

But I went through an agent and have had to pay their fees. But it is all worth it in the end. no more work permit/visa issues to handle ever.....

counselwell
13-08-2009, 10:00
But I know another family for whom going through an agency failed. They took their money and did nothing until it was too late for the quota. Check them out carefully. I found that doing it myself was a good education, and there isn't that much an agency can do for you that you don't have to do for yourself anyway.

In my continuing research, I found that the #1 likely reason my landlady is reluctant to register us is that the govt. would find out about us and charge taxes for her rental income. According to my lawyer, foreigners are on a different database, whatever that means, and so the tax inspector would not have access to that database to know about the rental relationship so would not be after her for taxes. Can anyone else confirm this?

tgma
13-08-2009, 15:05
Another reason for not wanting to register you is that if you have this registration, you have residency rights, and it can be difficult to get rid of people.
But I suspect the real reason is that she doesn't want to register her rental agreement with the tax police, which she would have to do, as far as I know. But in this case you just have an official Russian rental agreement for a small amount, and you pay the rest on the side.

counselwell
24-09-2009, 21:44
Just note that your TRP applies to an address as well. So you will have to be properly registered when picking up your TRP. Not sure if the quota winks an eye when looking at the address on your application and the one you're going to be registered on, but common sense and having gotten a TRP myself, I'd say they should be identical...

I actually decided to go to the horse's mouth, and they told me they don't care where I register. Of course I am now registered (as a student) and will be when I get the TRP, but they said I could go register anywhere. Not sure what you mean when you say, "the one you are GOING to be registered to." They don't know where I'm going when I pick it up, right? I understand that I just have to register soon AFTER getting the TRP.

legspreader
25-09-2009, 10:05
I hear its expensive to set up if you're single. anyone have an price indication.

counselwell
20-10-2009, 15:22
So I finally have our TRP! Note: we don't own anything, are not married to a Russian, and don't have a work permit or job based here.

Now the nuance: since our landlady refused to register us, I've had to figure out how to register. This has eventually helped me understand that registration and getting on the учёт are two different things. In fact, I found out today that I can do the latter by merely having any citizen registered in this region show themselves with me and fill out the form. Then I can apply for the visa.

BTW, the visa is still confusing. Some say it's only an entry visa. Others insist it is for exit and re-entry. In fact, one UFMS told me today that you can't register without a visa, and that I need a visa period. I had understood that the visa is only for travel, and not like permission to be here like the TRP. Can anyone speak to this?