PDA

View Full Version : Angry Putin rejects public Beslan inquiry

studentka
08-09-2004, 11:18
People, yesterday The Guardian published an interview with president Putin:

"We will strengthen law enforcement by staffing the police with Chechens, and gradually withdraw our troops to barracks, and leave as small a contingent as we feel necessary, just like the US does in California and Texas," he said.

Everything is quite understandable except the phrase about California and Texas. Can anybody comment it?

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/russia/article/0,2763,1298905,00.html

Ned Kelly
08-09-2004, 11:36
Originally posted by studentka
Can anybody comment it?

he was talking through his hat.

studentka
08-09-2004, 11:42
The question is "What had happened in California and Texas?"

:)

sparky
08-09-2004, 12:25
The point Putin is making is Texas and California are part of the USA.

However, every now and then there is a call for them to be independant.

This is, as you would expect, not supoorted by the USA government so they remain part of the Union despite some minority groups calling for them to be made independant republics. Some might say analogous to the Russian Federation and Chechnya

polly
08-09-2004, 12:40
really? i have never heard of california asking to secede.
but i wouldn't put it past 'em.

Punch
08-09-2004, 12:48
Do California and Texas wage a war against other states? I've heard that Hollywood in the States is smth like Chechnya in Russia.

sparky
08-09-2004, 12:51
check out

http://calrepublic.tripod.com/faq.html

like you said, you wouldn't put it past them (but this really is a minority group)

Olim
08-09-2004, 13:15
Perhaps the UK and Northern Ireland or Scotland would have been a clearer example, the loon.....

sparky
08-09-2004, 13:17
yeah.....I wasn't trying to justify it, but only explain it.

studentka
08-09-2004, 13:21
Wow! This is something we didn't study at school $)
I see you've got similar problems :(

And how long do you have such a problem with "FTB"? How do they struggle for independence?
Internet propaganda? What else?

am4rw
08-09-2004, 20:07
Many of us keep hoping Texas will secede ... and take GW with it.

Blaked
08-09-2004, 21:13
Originally posted by am4rw
Many of us keep hoping Texas will secede ... and take GW with it.

We should convince them to secede - we could throw in the broadcast licences to some old Hee Haw reruns to sweeten the deal.

HandsoMan
08-09-2004, 21:16
Bush....from Texas.
Schwarzenneger...from California.
The only way California will secede is by earthquake that separates it from the mainland.
Perhaps Putin shcould hire Schwarzenneger to reign in Chechnya.

Pantalaimon
08-09-2004, 22:09
Could y'all not build a big wall round Texas?

HandsoMan
08-09-2004, 22:40
everything's BIG in Texas. even the new wall.

Smurfette
08-09-2004, 22:46
lol!

koba65
09-09-2004, 04:03
People, yesterday The Guardian published an interview with president Putin:

"We will strengthen law enforcement by staffing the police with Chechens, and gradually withdraw our troops to barracks, and leave as small a contingent as we feel necessary, just like the US does in California and Texas," he said.

Everything is quite understandable except the phrase about California and Texas. Can anybody comment it?

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/russia/article/0,2763,1298905,00.html

Puzzling comments regarding Texas and California. I'd like to see what he said in Russian before it was translated. Perhaps he was referring to the Border Patrols in CA and TX? Who knows? There is no really comparable situation in TX and California. The group that wanted to secede in CA, as I recall, is located in Northern Cali. They don't want to leave the US, they want to become a state in their own right. TX has nuts who want to reinstate the Republic of Texas. They tried to get "violent' a while ago, but it was easy to tame the aging bikers...

Everything else Putin says in his interview is pretty spot-on, however, I don't think I would be publicly lashing out against the West (even though it is justified) because the bastards who kill Russian children and non-combatants will take pleasure at the "rift" they think they have caused between Russia and the West. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to exploit it. I also wouldn't be surprised if the thugs kill some Chechen children and women and blame on Russian forces out for revenge.

Regarding his reference to Iraq - I understand he can't reverse course on his opposition to the US-led invasion of Iraq, however, he surely must realize that the same foreigners (terrorists) interferring in the stabilization of Iraq are getting their marching orders from the same thugs who are using Chechen bandits/scum as puppets in their Islamic crusade against Russia.

Regardless, he has every right to be pissed and if he doesn't sound too diplomatic, so what. His country has to come first. Good to see them understanding the necessity of pre-emptive strike doctrine. It's folly to wait for an enemy to strike you.

It was a bit disconcerting to read an article on www.newsru.com alleging that Putin was considering meeting the terrorists demands. Disconcerting because it was reckless journalism to publish such an article, freedom of speech not withstanding, because it could encourage Satan's spawn to try to hijack another school.

Russia needs to strike fast, strike hard, and ruthlessly against these bastards, otherwise they'll strike again and again and again because they'll perceive the Russians as vulnerable and Putin as weak. I'm sure there are Alfa and Vimpel guys just waiting to avenge the deaths of the brave men who sacrificed themselves for those poor children.

koba65
09-09-2004, 04:22
Wow! This is something we didn't study at school $)
I see you've got similar problems :(

And how long do you have such a problem with "FTB"? How do they struggle for independence?
Internet propaganda? What else?

Not a similar problem - just a group of people with too much time on their hands. They don't espouse violence and they don't claim the rest of the US is oppressing them. They're trying to make the point that California pays more taxes (more rich people live there, Hollyweird stars and such) and could survive on it's own. What they don't mention is that California enjoys a lot of influence over the country for a variety of reasons (Hollywood, Electoral College - it's a big one, usually necessary for a Presidential candidate to win CA in order to win the WH).

The ability for a state to secede from the Union was basically quashed by the Civil War (War of Northern Agression ;) ). There were secession movements from time-to-time prior to the Civil War, however, after the Civil War nothing more than various fringe groups with little impact spoke about secession. In order for the FTB to be successful in their goal of secession they would have to get the issue placed on the California ballot during election time. In order to do that, they'd have to have enough signatures/support to get it placed on the ballot. A bit far-fetched, even for California.

koba65
10-09-2004, 02:59
Originally posted by Pantalaimon
Could y'all not build a big wall round Texas?

Ha! You seem to be fluent in Texan!