PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Visa question....

ambene
20-01-2009, 03:31
I promise I've just spent the last 2 hours+ reviewing threads, reading web sites and and culling information in great hopes of answering my particular question. Since no-one has communicated a situation just like mine, and my multiple hours already spent on the consulate pages have not provided a clear answer, I turn to this forum.

I would like to know if anyone can answer whether it is possible for me to obtain a 3 month double entry visa to Russia, leave for the USA for a couple of weeks (immediately apply for another 3 month double entry visa when I return to the USA), and get this second visa approved from the Russian Consulate (with a new business invitation letter, associated fees & application)? Therefore the 90 days out of 180 rule does not apply to me?

And should I be able to do this lets say 4 times; basically living in St Pete's for 89 days, returning to the USA for 17 days, and then returning to St Pete's again with a new visa -- and repeating this process for the next year?

Thank you for any assistance!

ezik
20-01-2009, 14:03
Ambene,

Here's a link to a thread with the text of the new visa law, just in case you missed it: http://www.expat.ru/forum/travel-visas-registration-residency-status-more/46913-new-visa-law-retroactive-not-4.html

A double entry 3 months' visa would count as a "multiple visa", meaning that your tactic wouldn't work, as you'd be under the 90/180 rule.

However, getting 4 single entry 3 months visas per year would be a possibility and you'd probably be best off getting one close to St Pete, in Tallinn or so.

When I applied for a TRP, I asked the UFMS officer if this would be possible and he said "yes".

However... why go through all this? I mean, why are you looking to go for this option?

ambene
20-01-2009, 14:58
Hi Ezik, thanks for your information, I really appreciate it. The reason I was to go this route is just a matter of convenience for me. There may be times I have to fly back to the USA for work reasons and double entry seemed like a good choice. However if I return and immediately apply for another single entry it could still work, it just will cost more in visa charges I suppose.

I want to learn the Russian language, at a school in Russia - I'm a fan of total immersion. After the school I registered with explained the effort required for them to procure a student visa for me, and also the effort needed if I had to leave and return, it seemed like I might try to find an easier way.

So if I didn't have to leave St Petersburg for any reason, you're indicating that I could go to the consulate in Tallinn for a new single entry, correct?

Thanks again and for sure I missed the thread you referenced in your response.

dkgoldman
25-01-2009, 23:14
It's possible to get back to back 3 month visas- I have been doing it for six months now. However, unless you can expedite it in the US, it may take longer than 17 days now because they embassy now requires you to use an agency for mail processing. If you can take it in person to the embassy they accept it and it may reduce the processing time or if you can afford to pay the extra fast processing.

ambene
26-01-2009, 01:16
It's possible to get back to back 3 month visas- I have been doing it for six months now. However, unless you can expedite it in the US, it may take longer than 17 days now because they embassy now requires you to use an agency for mail processing. If you can take it in person to the embassy they accept it and it may reduce the processing time or if you can afford to pay the extra fast processing.

Thank you dkgoldman - what about going to the embassy in Talinn when the 90 days expires? Would that work? Also are you on a 90 day business visa, single entry?

Jerry
18-02-2009, 13:06
You can have endless 3 month multiple visas in sequence. No limitation. With this you avoid the 90 day stay limit of the yearly visa. I have had already 4 in a row. Problems are that they can only be issued in the country of residence or where your passport is from. I am Dutch and go up and down to Holland where I obtain the new visa in 3 working days ( paying exta fee ) and come back. They will not issue two different visas in one passport. One cancels the other.